Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HIGGINS and TATE Cheers
Amongst the Negative threads, it was a Tie, not a Loss. So I add one Positive thread. Higgins and Tate are becoming good targets for rookie Burrow. Boyd had a good game. Green was well covered.

Higgins 2 touchdowns will no doubt raise his Fantasy Points to Fantasy owners line-up to add him on. Word was that Burrow was timing the ball to Higgins great in no preseason August practices.

Higgins at first pick in 2 is like a 1st round pick.

I was tired of watching Ross drop passes. The big race planned for Ross and Billy Hamilton a couple years ago. Turned out Hamilton could not hit, Ross can not catch.

So Welcome nice games from Higgins and Tate to go with Boyd and Green who was covered. Ross was a healthy scratch, meaning the others are out playing him.

The blocking did get better in 2nd half but tired out in overtime. For one half we saw what Burrow, Boyd, Green, Higgins, Tate, Bernard, Mixon can do if they get this Blocking improved. A blocking problem left over from Marvin, Mike and Duck Token.... Zac inherited the worst O Line in NFL. No preseason did not help. In the 2nd Half the blocking was good enough to show Higgins and Tate are pretty good.

Cheers for Higgins in this Tie, not a loss. Higgins looks pretty good, when Burrow given a chance to throw.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Higgins yes. Tate, meh. He looks the part but did he have more than one catch? He doesn't ever bring down redzone catches. I'd honestly rather see Boyd, Higgns, Green, and Thomas out there
Thomas has played great when given the opportunity. He's caught just about everything.
Reply/Quote
Tate had a big catch on a deep out route for 19 yds.
Then he had another catch for 10.
In my book thats 2 1st downs.
People gripe and complain a about the end zone fade routes. Well for Tate doesnt call his
Own route. Hes runs what is designed.
And that is a issue I see with the OC and WR coach. The creativity and variation of the routes
Overall is lacking. Tate is more than capable of running a simple fade route in the redzone.
As anyone seen the WRs run a stop as go route...double moves....a pivot route..
I havent.
Tate hauls in 2 ,1st downs people still whine and cry wha wha wha.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 09:06 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Tate had a big catch on a deep out route for 19 yds.
People gripe and complain a about the end zone fade routes. Well for Tate doesnt call his
And that is a issue I see with the OC and WR coach. The creativity and variation of the routes
Overall is lacking. Tate is more than capable of running a simple fade route in the redzone.
I havent.

Yep

The one fade for TD Tate didn't catch was just a very good play by the defender. Sometimes you have to just tip your hat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 09:06 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Tate had a big catch on a deep out route for 19 yds.
I havent.

His big 19 yard catch came on a busted coverage where he was left completely undefended. Nobody with any objectivity is giving him a bunch of credit for that play.  

If you're going to have your camp spout off in the media about your usage, you'd better be able to win against man coverage in the end zone.  He had three opportunities and was beaten by his opposite number on every one. He got bailed out on a ticky tack PI on the first one.  

In the red zone, DB's play the slant a lot more aggressively.  You don't want to be throwing a bunch of slants to a WR that doesn't run good routes and doesn't have the physical ability to run a whip route to keep the CB guessing.  

If you're going to beat your chest and scream for the ball, you'd better play a lot better than Tate did Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 10:13 AM)Whatever Wrote: His big 19 yard catch came on a busted coverage where he was left completely undefended. Nobody with any objectivity is giving him a bunch of credit for that play.  

If you're going to have your camp spout off in the media about your usage, you'd better be able to win against man coverage in the end zone.  He had three opportunities and was beaten by his opposite number on every one. He got bailed out on a ticky tack PI on the first one.  

In the red zone, DB's play the slant a lot more aggressively.  You don't want to be throwing a bunch of slants to a WR that doesn't run good routes and doesn't have the physical ability to run a whip route to keep the CB guessing.  

If you're going to beat your chest and scream for the ball, you'd better play a lot better than Tate did Sunday.
And if he would have bobbled it or not got his feet down you would griped about it. 
You think I care if it was busted coverage on that play?
It doesnt matter to me how a Bengals target makes his catch
And yards. 
Your amazing.
Reply/Quote
Higgins is going to be good, but man, if he held on to the 40-yard pass in OT instead of letting Robey-Coleman hit his arm and make him drop it, Bengals were in good position to win. He's a rookie and he will learn. Excited about his potential.

Now only if Burrow had more time to throw without getting hit.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 10:39 AM)impactplaya Wrote: And if he would have bobbled it or not got his feet down you would griped about it. 
You think I care if it was busted coverage on that play?
It doesnt matter to me how a Bengals target makes his catch
And yards. 
Your amazing.

He was wide open due to the busted coverage.  If you can't make the catch and get your feet in in that situation, you deserve to get bashed.  And that's your lead in how he played well.  A routine play creatted by a busted coverage.  That's like saying Fat Randy played good because of that extra point he made when the defense didn't even bother to rush him.
Reply/Quote
Right now based on what I have seen Tate is still our 5th best receiver. There isn't a big difference between he and Thomas, but Thomas still holds the edge. I see at the end of the year it being Boyd, Higgins, Green, Thomas, Tate, Erickson then Ross.
Reply/Quote
Tate has as many catches as Ross - 2.

Happy for Higgins with the TDs but Tate needs to have (way) more catches to justify putting him in over the potential value Ross adds with his speed to stretch the field. And I know the viewpoint of he still may not catch with his speed, but he can help open up the field more for others whereas Tate cannot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Higgins dropped a big catch on that last drive, that one hurt. Love what the rookie did, but you have to catch that pass. He definelty has a solid future going forward with Joe.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tate has as many catches as Ross - 2.

Happy for Higgins with the TDs but Tate needs to have (way) more catches to justify putting him in over the potential value Ross adds with his speed to stretch the field. And I know the viewpoint of he still may not catch with his speed, but he can help open up the field more for others whereas Tate cannot.

This logic doesn't really match our current reality. Stretching the field is supposed to open up underneath routes and we have had no real issues throwing underneath, in fact, short and mid throws are all we can complete. Our issues have been completing deep shots and with Ross not catching short or deep throws it doesn't really make sense to use him at all. If Ross was better off of screens I'd be for using him there but he really isn't shifty in the open field. To be honest, I'd like to see us use Gio as a receiver more and see what he can do off bubble screens and slants/drags after watching him on the screen yesterday. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tate has as many catches as Ross - 2.

Not sure you can say that. Burrow had more YPA this game then his first two, by about two more yards per attempt. So the data doesn't back that statement up. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:19 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Not sure you can say that. Burrow had more YPA this game then his first two, by about two more yards per attempt. So the data doesn't back that statement up. 

Burrow also went against a worse secondary than he had the first two games.
Slay can shut down just about anyone but the safeties are just ok, and there are no other noteworthy CBs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Burrow also went against a worse secondary than he had the first two games.
Slay can shut down just about anyone but the safeties are just ok, and there are no other noteworthy CBs.

Oh okay, thats what we are doing. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: This logic doesn't really match our current reality. Stretching the field is supposed to open up underneath routes and we have had no real issues throwing underneath, in fact, short and mid throws are all we can complete. Our issues have been completing deep shots and with Ross not catching short or deep throws it doesn't really make sense to use him at all. If Ross was better off of screens I'd be for using him there but he really isn't shifty in the open field. To be honest, I'd like to see us use Gio as a receiver more and see what he can do off bubble screens and slants/drags after watching him on the screen yesterday. 

He's not? He's one of the quickest players in the league, not just long speed. Problem is he's not catching the ball to be able to show that very much.

Let me rephrase my statement, as there is some truth to yours...
Someone with Ross's speed SHOULD open up the field more for others.
And while Burrow is completing passes fine in the short and intermediate, they aren't getting a ton of YAC (from what I recall seeing anyway). With a more stretched field, they should have more room to run.

Or maybe I just haven't watched the games close enough to notice the YAC.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:35 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Oh okay, thats what we are doing. 

I'm just pointing out a fact that their secondary isn't as good.
I can't speak to whether Tate being in there is the reason the YPA went up.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's not? He's one of the quickest players in the league, not just long speed. Problem is he's not catching the ball to be able to show that very much.

Let me rephrase my statement, as there is some truth to yours...
Someone with Ross's speed SHOULD open up the field more for others.
And while Burrow is completing passes fine in the short and intermediate, they aren't getting a ton of YAC (from what I recall seeing anyway). With a more stretched field, they should have more room to run.

Or maybe I just haven't watched the games close enough to notice the YAC.

and Ross has given us YAC? 
Reply/Quote
I havent.

I am confused as Ross (who fans hate) had more TD's than Boyd in 2019, so tell us do you think TD's are less important than a first down that may lead to a TD?

I have nothing against Tate, but also have nothing against Ross. I want both to produce but to act like a guy having 2 catches for 29 yards in a game against a weak Eagle secondary maybe over the top.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 11:10 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Higgins is going to be good, but man, if he held on to the 40-yard pass in OT instead of letting Robey-Coleman hit his arm and make him drop it, Bengals were in good position to win. He's a rookie and he will learn. Excited about his potential.

Now only if Burrow had more time to throw without getting hit.
Blame could be put on burrow too, it was a little under thrown and Higgins had to slow up on it. All good though because it was a great play by the defender.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote