Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOF disses Kenny Anderson
and Ken Riley too. Neither made the cut for the special induction.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
That's a shame.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow that blows. I honestly expected his SB wins on the Steelers staff would have helped, but geez. Add that we have 1 single HOFer and we have no ring of honor to at least bestow honor upon our own players who get snubbed and I'd say that is what is known as a one-two punch.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 04:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Wow that blows.  I honestly expected his SB wins on the Steelers staff would have helped, but geez.  Add that we have 1 single HOFer and we have no ring of honor to at least bestow honor upon our own players who get snubbed and I'd say that is what is known as a one-two punch.

The ring of honor thing pisses me off the most. We can't really control the Hall of Fame but we can at least honor our own. It's a complete joke.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Ken Anderson, Ken Riley, Isaac Curtis and maybe Max Montoya should have been voted into the Hall-of-Fame a long time ago. Does it have something to do with the Brown family owning the Bengals? If those guys can't get in will "Whit" or A.J. or Chad ever get in?
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 04:54 PM)J24 Wrote: The ring of honor thing pisses me off the most. We can't really control the Hall of Fame but we can at least honor our own. It's a complete joke.

(12-19-2019, 04:59 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Ken Anderson, Ken Riley, Isaac Curtis and maybe Max Montoya should have been voted into the Hall-of-Fame a long time ago.  Does it have something to do with the Brown family owning the Bengals?  If those guys can't get in will "Whit" or A.J. or Chad ever get in?

It may have something to do with our lack of a "Ring of Honor" or our own "Hall of Fame" that doesn't bring the attention of the National Hall of Fame in Canton. If we don't care enough to celebrate our own, why should the league. Of course if we would have won Super Bowl XVI it would have been better for those players no matter what.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 05:14 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: It may have something to do with our lack of a "Ring of Honor" or our own "Hall of Fame" that doesn't bring the attention of the National Hall of Fame in Canton. If we don't care enough to celebrate our own, why should the league. Of course if we would have won Super Bowl XVI it would have been better for those players no matter what.

I was in Dallas Texas a few weeks ago, getting ready to relocate from the San Francisco area.  Cowboy culture was there.  They have a practice facility in Frisco, where I was at.  Stadium in Irving, about 30 miles away.  Jones puts in the work to be in the DNA of that area.  You think Jones doesn't work hard to boost the profiles of his candidate HOF'ers?  I bet he does.  I wonder if Mike Brown takes HOF voters out to dinner when he's in town?  Like in any profession some sports media types have outsized influence on their peers, I wonder if Jones cultivates them?  I wonder if Brown does?

Anyway it strikes me that Kenny Anderson isn't in the HOF for reasons other than his body of work, since it's excellent.  I have to think Brown isn't a good booster for his guys.  Currently the last Cowboy to be added to the NFL HOF was Jerry Jones, the 23rd Cowboy in the HOF.  How many Bengals are in the NFL HOF?  Munoz, Joiner and Owens so just two.  
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 04:59 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Ken Anderson, Ken Riley, Isaac Curtis and maybe Max Montoya should have been voted into the Hall-of-Fame a long time ago.  Does it have something to do with the Brown family owning the Bengals?  If those guys can't get in will "Whit" or A.J. or Chad ever get in?

Whit might since he's in LA with its huge sports media complex out there.  The Rams ownership can go to town buying some votes, if he's so inclined.
AJ and Chad I doubt.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 05:34 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I was in Dallas Texas a few weeks ago, getting ready to relocate from the San Francisco area.  Cowboy culture was there.  They have a practice facility in Frisco, where I was at.  Stadium in Irving, about 30 miles away.  Jones puts in the work to be in the DNA of that area.  You think Jones doesn't work hard to boost the profiles of his candidate HOF'ers?  I bet he does.  I wonder if Mike Brown takes HOF voters out to dinner when he's in town?  Like in any profession some sports media types have outsized influence on their peers, I wonder if Jones cultivates them?  I wonder if Brown does?
It's all in the approach to life.  Both are family owned businesses, and that's about the end of the similarities.  Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys like it's Mercedes Benz, while Mike Brown runs the Bengals like they're an Aldi store.

Btw, just noticed that you're kinda new around here. Welcome to the boards!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 05:34 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I wonder if Mike Brown takes HOF voters out to dinner when he's in town? 

Yes -- only if the HOF voters pick up the check.  Of course, going to Frisch's or Wendy's with coupons never costs that much.

Like in any profession some sports media types have outsized influence on their peers, I wonder if Jones cultivates them?  I wonder if Brown does?

Mike probably writes anonymous letters to the editor.  Jerry Jones "Facebook friends" them and "likes" pictures of their kids.

Anyway it strikes me that Kenny Anderson isn't in the HOF for reasons other than his body of work, since it's excellent.  I have to think Brown isn't a good booster for his guys. 

The closest Mike Brown gets to a booster is looking at the missile display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, where, coincidentally, admission is free.
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm downplaying Bill Cowher, but is he really worthy of the HOF?
Only the 24th winningest HC.
Only 1 SB win in 15 years as a HC.
Only 1 other SB appearance aside from that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Too many great Bengals not in for it not to be a personal thing with the Brown family. They will have a hard time keeping Geno or AJ out, but Whit doesn't stand a chance.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 05:34 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I was in Dallas Texas a few weeks ago, getting ready to relocate from the San Francisco area.  Cowboy culture was there.  They have a practice facility in Frisco, where I was at.  Stadium in Irving, about 30 miles away.  Jones puts in the work to be in the DNA of that area.  You think Jones doesn't work hard to boost the profiles of his candidate HOF'ers?  I bet he does.  I wonder if Mike Brown takes HOF voters out to dinner when he's in town?  Like in any profession some sports media types have outsized influence on their peers, I wonder if Jones cultivates them?  I wonder if Brown does?

Anyway it strikes me that Kenny Anderson isn't in the HOF for reasons other than his body of work, since it's excellent.  I have to think Brown isn't a good booster for his guys.  Currently the last Cowboy to be added to the NFL HOF was Jerry Jones, the 23rd Cowboy in the HOF.  How many Bengals are in the NFL HOF?  Munoz, Joiner and Owens so just two.  

Yup

Mike Brown does nothing, NOTHING to build the Bengals brand. That's part of the reason and there's no way around it.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 05:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's all in the approach to life.  Both are family owned businesses, and that's about the end of the similarities.  Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys like it's Mercedes Benz, while Mike Brown runs the Bengals like they're an Aldi store.

Btw, just noticed that you're kinda new around here.  Welcome to the boards!

Thank you! Good content around here.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 06:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Too many great Bengals not in for it not to be a personal thing with the Brown family. They will have a hard time keeping Geno or AJ out, but Whit doesn't stand a chance.

Neither does AJ.

I’m not the biggest baseball fan myself, but the contrast between how the Reds and Bengals handle honoring their former players is like night and day. It’s weird that Brown takes such good care of them while they’re here (paying them big money, Devon Still, giving Pacman a dozen chances, etc) but once they’re gone...

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 06:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Too many great Bengals not in for it not to be a personal thing with the Brown family. They will have a hard time keeping Geno or AJ out, but Whit doesn't stand a chance.

Sure he does....he will be the first "new" LA Ram to be inducted

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 06:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe I'm downplaying Bill Cowher, but is he really worthy of the HOF?
Only the 24th winningest HC.
Only 1 SB win in 15 years as a HC.
Only 1 other SB appearance aside from that.

He's a Steeler, so that's all that matters. Same resume in, let's say Minnesota, and no one would have him on a short list. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 07:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Neither does AJ.

I’m not the biggest baseball fan myself, but the contrast between how the Reds and Bengals handle honoring their former players is like night and day. It’s weird that Brown takes such good care of them while they’re here (paying them big money, Devon Still, giving Pacman a dozen chances, etc) but once they’re gone...

Right on !

The Reds are like the Jetsons when it comes to building the brand, PR, taking care of players and fans, like you say night and day !

The MB led Bengals are like the Flintstones.
Reply/Quote
What else is new?

It's shameful though.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately I don't see any Bengals HoF additions coming soon. Geno should be an easy choice being a top 2 DT for this past decade, but will probably end up being a multiple ballot guy or not at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote