Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW ARE BENGALS LOOKING AT LB ?
I'm not impressed with our linebackers at all ,if they found another stud linebacker somehow,it would be a solid core,but right now I see them all as a bunch of averages but that's my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 01:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: I expect a Bynes re signing. What I would REALLY like is for us to drop the 2 LB scheme nonsense and either use a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Any team that runs a 4-3 base is going to play with just 2 LBs about 60% of the time.  The 5th DB may not technically be a starter but he plays a lot more snaps than the MLB.
Reply/Quote
I'm now going to add to my original post. There are still a lot of Free Agent Linebackers needing teams. Draft sites say this may be one of the best crop of linebackers in years, provided that is not a bunch of crop. I'll list CBS List of LBs in their Top 100 prospects

1, Parsons, Penn State
2. Ojulari, Georgia
3. Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame
4. Collins, Tulsa
5. Ossai, Texas
6. Davis, Kentucky
7. Bolton, Missouri
8. Browning, Ohio State
9. Moses, Alabama
10. Surratt, UNC
11. Cox, LSU,
12. Smith, UAB

I did not start to make this a Drat post. But IF the 2021 LB Draft Class is suppose to be better than most years, and there are still unsigned free agents. Here is my add on question.

With only these 4 Bengal Linebackers, would it be a good idea to add more. The idea being Competition in Training Camp and Preseason is a Good Thing ?

I will point out Bill Bergey who was great, was a 2nd round pick, not a 1st round pick. If this is such a bumper crop, there should be good LB talent into round 3 and maybe 4. That they list Moses as far down as 9, tells me a lot of talent is possible. The Notre Dame LB also is kind of a Safety and doesn't that fit Coach Taylor football of extra DB 70 % of the time.

Should they bring in some more LB's to camp to try out more than the 4 they have ? Your Thoughts.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 02:52 PM)kevin Wrote: With only these 4 Bengal Linebackers, would it be a good idea to add more.  The idea being Competition in Training Camp and Preseason is a Good Thing ?

Should they bring in some more LB's to camp to try out more than the 4 they have ?  Your Thoughts.

It is a tough balance when you are trying to develop young draft picks.  You don't want to just hand them a spot with no competition, but at the same time young plyers need to be getting a lot of reps and snaps to improve.  So you don't want to bring in competition which takes away reps in practice unlesss that compatition has a real shot at being better.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 05:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is a tough balance when you are trying to develop young draft picks.  You don't want to just hand them a spot with no competition, but at the same time young plyers need to be getting a lot of reps and snaps to improve.  So you don't want to bring in competition which takes away reps in practice unlesss that compatition has a real shot at being better.

I don't see the 4 we have as being that solid. If we a lucky, we have 1 or 2 OK Linebackers right now. Nothing great, but some on here saying we can get by with them. I don't see 4 LB's as being enough LBs to go into Training Camp with, not at all.  

I really had no thoughts on it when I started this thread asking.  Now I see that if there are years of few good LB's in the Draft, but this is a rare year of many good LB's in the draft per scouting sources.  Then wouldn't the Bengals be stupid not to dive into this rare year of many good LB's and pick 1 or maybe 2.  At least 1.  I'm not saying pick 5 in round 1.   but if there is a very good LB to draft in 2 or 3, there is a good chance this LB is better than anybody Bengals have now.  

I now see this as these 4 Bengal LB's are not enough LBs, and the idea all 4 are rising stars is backed up by nothing.  The Bengals might have 1 or maybe 2 good LBs at this time, but that is not enough due to injuries and the need to substitute.  

I would say the Bengals do need to bring in a good LB in free agency or the draft.  Not some stiff that just fills an extra uniform.  I'm talking a good LB that can come in here and start. Maybe 2 that can come in here and start.  I disagree that you don't want to bring in competition. Most in football over decades have said competition in Training Camp is a good thing.  Here we have last place Bengals of 4 awful seasons.  So far no Linebacker signings. If this team wants to get out of last place, they better have linebacker signings. Especially if this is being called a rare year of many top Linebackers in one Draft.  There are too many Drafts where good Linebackers are only a couple, and they go fast.  If the Alabama or LSU Linebacker are still on the board in round 3.  There are just too many good LB's that will be there in 2 or 3 to not come away with a LB THIS YEAR.  That LB for Bama, all he has done is play great ball in the SEC for 4 years and win Championships for Bama.  I just can't see The last place Bengals passing on a bumper crop of LB's.  If they go into Round 4 with no LB, the Bengals don't have a clue how to get out of last place.

Looking at the comments, I have to think 1 or 2 of these Bengal LBs may pan out, but not all 4, and 4 is not enough.  If they are so fragile they can't stand some competition from some good draft picks or free agents, then they are too fragile to compete in NFL games.  Again, 4 is not enough.  Bringing in some bums to fill uniforms is no answer.   Bring in some talent, because 4 is not enough. On paper it may look so, but you have to consider injuries and substitutions. So add some more GOOD linebackers, and the Draft demands taking a LB before round 4 this year, because experts say the LB talent is sky high in the draft this year, unlike most years.  

The comments range from Bengals LBs are Great to Bengals LBs Stink. I'm going to go with these 4 are not enough. On paper some may think so, but you are forgetting injuries and substitutions and practice squad. No, to me 4 is not enough, and putting bums in uniforms to add more is what last place teams do, but isn't the goal to get out of last place. If not, it should be.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 12:22 PM)J24 Wrote: I really like our LB core this year. Particularly Wilson I think he will be a star!

I think they're going to look a lot better than most are expecting. There's a lot of speed at the position and the only thing that was missing was the experience. I think Pratt is going to make a pretty good jump in year 3 and i believe Wilson has the potential to make a bunch of splash plays. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see them not do anything at LB this year, other than fill out the bottom of the group, and give the young guys the much needed reps. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We should look into Nick Bolton ,I seen his highlights and his play kind of reminds me of Burfict.
Reply/Quote
Moses fell off big this year (injury?). Collins is 1b and won’t make it past first.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 04:51 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: We should look into Nick Bolton ,I seen his highlights and his play kind of reminds me of Burfict.

You're not wrong.  He's not a gentle boy.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 06:58 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: You're not wrong.  He's not a gentle boy.

So more Ramsay Bolton than Michael then?

Reply/Quote
Michael Bolton was Heavy Metal his first two albums where he also played guitar. That's why he had the long hair when he found out he could be a millionaire singing pop music for women instead of rocking out.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
LBs continue to not be good, as almost always.

A bit of my minds does wonder if Lou Anarumo would keep any talented LB (if we had some) from being able to perform at a high level.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Parsons running a 4.39 i sure did not hurt his top ranking status
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Lou’s “system” is a good one for LBers to excel in. Because it flips between number of LB on the field a lot it also keeps changing their zones of responsibility. All players need stability in what they are asked to do in order to become proficient, and this hybrid denies them that.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 07:26 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Michael Bolton was Heavy Metal his first two albums where he also played guitar. That's why he had the long hair when he found out he could be a millionaire singing pop music for women instead of rocking out.

Not a guitar cord or amp to be found. That was pretty bad as far as music videos go...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Think the best we can hope for is a mid to late round LB to make a big splash, but I do think that is possible.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 10:41 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We suck at LB.

Granted, maybe the young guys take a leap. Wilson showed some flashes. Pratt is poor. ADG did not show particularly well.

I think the real issue is we sucked at defensive line, and that killed the LBs.  I am not saying it is Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher back there, but we saw what they could do when the defensive line played well (2nd pitt game).  

Reader and Ojunjobi are huge upgrades over what they were rolling out there most of last year.  Add a healthy Hubbard, and Hendrickson, and you have the makings of a decent front that will help make the LBs job a bit more realistic.  

I do think, however, that they will be watching closely for a veteran LB or DE/DT to be released and add more depth.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 07:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So more Ramsay Bolton than Michael then?

And I was thinking that LB at Clemson (Kwiakowski or something?) that keeps getting ejected in big games for leading with his head reminded me of Burfict, but your comment here is stellar. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 01:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: I expect a Bynes re signing. What I would REALLY like is for us to drop the 2 LB scheme nonsense and either use a 4-3 or a 3-4.

The reality is that in the NFL, Nickle defense plays more downs than base.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote