Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW IMPORTANT IS GETTING A GOOD O-LINE FOR INJURED BURROW ?
The thing about the draft, you don’t draft need early, unless the best player on the board also happens match a need.

FA happens before the draft, if they are active like they were last year and do focus on the line like they say, it would lessen the need to draft OL as early as 1, but if Sewell is there at 5, I think they pick him regardless because of how outstanding he is. You could make a case for Slater too, but at pick 5, you’re looking for the #1 at a position, not #2 most times. There are other good linemen in this draft too obviously who could help early too.

So, instead of saying to just draft linemen, say find better linemen to keep burrow upright everywhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 08:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Is there a rule that says you need an O-line?

Let’s put Clark Harris out there and line Burrow up about 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. We’ll put 9 playmakers out there and somebody is bound to get open. The time to throw should be pretty similar to how it’s been so I don’t see any loss there. Joe loves 5 wide so he is bound to love 9 wide.

Ref:  Numbers 54, 63, 71, and 77 all declare as eligible..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 11:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ref:  Numbers 54, 63, 71, and 77 all declare as eligible..

9Wide would be a sweet forum name.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 11:36 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 9Wide would be a sweet forum name.

9Wide, is that more or less than the length of an axe handle?  (Surveyor's joke)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 03:37 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Burrow is THE franchise player. Do what you failed to do his first year and get people that can actually protect him. Taylor says its just a football play and it couldn’t be prevented but thats only partially true. Take a qb that gets hit 50 times a year vs a qb that gets hit 10. Yes the qb getting hit 10 times if hit wrong could get an acl tear etc but the odds increase with the more hits you take. They need to take necessary steps to reduce his odds of getting reinjured. Part falls on Burrow and being smart in terms of knowing when to get rid of the ball, and part falls on playcaling (running more etc)) and shoring up the o-line.
Couldn't be prevented??? Dudes a turd.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 04:09 PM)Benton Wrote: VERY.

Mellow

But I honestly don't think we're super far off. A guard, a tackle and a better coach. We've got one of the three. And pollack may think he can salvage some of what's on the roster.

I’d argue it’s two guards and a tackle. Neither XSF or Spann are quality starters, and both are left guards. Hart is a replacement level talent. Hopkins is also replaceable as a middling starter, and an injured one at that. Probably can’t replace them all in one offseason given the team’s aversion to signing top tier o-lineman.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 10:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: IMO, fixing the line through proven FA talent that fit scheme is better than rolling the dice in the draft. Tired of watching guys "learn how to be a pro". I want to watch a PRO football team.

I think the Bengals have TIME to develop a WR, CB, or Dlineman. They do NOT have time to continue to let Burrow get destroyed.

BTW, w Burrow developing, I think the offense can hang qith the best of them IF they have a strong line. The defense can wait until the later rounds. Lots of $$$ spent on the D last year and lots of draft capital. Time for them to earn it.

Agree

We need a couple top tier free agent Olinemen and draft the best one we can. The Oline has to be priority #1 with a star. I've seen a couple guys say ok, we've got Pollkack back as coach so he should be able to coach our current guys up. No way in hell do I want to rely on that.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 12:53 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

We need a couple top tier free agent Olinemen and draft the best one we can. The Oline has to be priority #1 with a star. I've seen a couple guys say ok, we've got Pollkack back as coach so he should be able to coach our current guys up. No way in hell do I want to rely on that.

If they sign Thuney (I personally and professionally know his parents and family well - he would definitely come home if given a competitive offer) and find a LT (I think Jonah Williams is a better RT or RG) I would think that would just leave C.... which I think is fine with Price if the Gs around him are strong players. They could also roll with Willaims/Thuney/Price/Spain/Hart and it would be a major imporvement over most of last year, but not elite level at all.

I am eager to see what transpires over the FA period and draft.
Reply/Quote
The most important acquisition of the off season
In addressing this oline has already been made.
Hiring Frank Pollack cannot be emphasized enough.
It's no accident the last time he was here the offense
At least for 6 games was scoring over 26 points a game

Look what happened in Cleveland. They hired Bill Callahan
And all the Browns have done is gone deep in the playoffs
And PFF rated the Browns oline #1.
This is how much of a difference a oline coach makes
Michael Dunn played in place of Joel Bitonio vs
Cameron Heyward last week.
He completely took Heyward out of the game
Thats all on coaching.
In fact I hope the Bengals look at Michael Dunn
In the off season for depth.

This front offices needs to invest in olinemen
Through FA. Guys that can pass block and run block
Effectively. We have too many current linemen
That do either or good but not both.

Your olinemen can have all size and agility.
But if they arent coached up the rest of your offense suffers no
Matter the talent at skill positions
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 03:19 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm interested to see the answers.  Some will say, not another O Line Post.  Yet as much as we know the Blocking has been worst in NFL the last 4 seasons, come the Draft fans want everything but Blockers.

I'll make my point that I said all along that this O Line would get Top Pick Burrow killed.  They are getting Mixon killed also.  It is pointless to have Burrow go through Rehab and put him behind Bengals CHEAP Walmart Discount O Line. Within 2 or 3 games he will get career ending injury like Greg Cook.  The Bengals can also expect no more than 3 or 4 wins a year with such awful blockers since 2017.

Now I let you people speak.  Some are wanting WRs and everything but O Line.  

How do you rate the importance of getting a new O Line to protect Burrow and Block this team up the field....Important....Not A Top Need....Our O Line is Great as it is....or Mike Brown saying, Why Should I Pay O Linemen..

though again a bit crazy to think Burrow or Mixon will get killed... good QBs have been hurt with good lines also.. look at Ben.. he had a solid line and got hurt.. it comes with the territory...but I agree we need a  better line, though Burrow will also need to improve in the pocket to help our line.. We have  attempted to address our line in the draft Oline high over the last six years, with 4 years of 1/2 round picks  ...and we signed Glenn at the time when he was considered a quality  tackle..sadly majority of those moves did not work out.  

I agree we need line and am supportive of getting a better line in FA and Draft.. I think we will, the bigger concern is will FA work out and will we pick better in draft.   I think the discussion on WR or other picks with #5 pick is more if Sewell is gone, I have seen few people on here say pick another position over Sewell, the question is should we maybe reach from a top 15 Oline pick position to taking them #5 over maybe top WR, LB, CB at #5
Reply/Quote
The key to getting a better O-line isn't Burrow. We've already seen what he can do with a below average O-line. Where the difference will be tremendous in the running game. If we could run the ball consistently with our passing game, this team would chew up the clock and keep the defense fresh. It would improve the team all the way around.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 03:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Football has changed a great deal over the years. With that said, there is one thing that has never changed. Winning in the trenches greatly impacts your ability to win the game. If you can protect your QB and run the ball, you are going to have more success. Flip side, stop the run and get after the QB, more wins.

The draft and FA need to be highly focused on the lines. All this talk of a speedy WR is meaningless. The Raiders always drafted 1st round WRs, so did the Lions and other loser franchises.

Look at Green Bay, look at New England. Get a good QB, protect him, and play good defense. A good/great QB can make average WR's look better than they really are.

Brady threw to 2 different 4 time All Pro WR's in NE in Welker and Moss.  He also had a 4 time All Pro TE in Gronk.

Rodgers has had 3 different Pro Bowl WR's in Cobb, Nelson, and Adams.  

Pretty much every great QB in the modern era has his name linked with a great WR.  Montana had Rice.  Aikman had Irvan.  Manning had Harrison.  Brady had Welker.  Roethlisberger had Brown.  Brees had Thomas.  

Plus, what do most of the young QB's who have stepped in and had immediate success had?  Herbert has Keenan Allen.  Mahommes has Hill.  Goff had Woods, Cooks, and Kupp.  Kyler Murray and Deshaun Watson have/had Deandre Hopkins.  Any coincidence that Josh Allen made a big jump this year after the Bills went out and got him Diggs?

This team needs a lot of help in a number of different areas.  If we can add a great player at pretty much any position group, we should.
Reply/Quote
I believe it's vital to have a good OL and I'd much rather have an excellent OL than a good one.

I also believe that the best draft philosophy is to draft the best player available who can fill a starting spot on the team. A player on the bench is useless compared to a player who is out there on the field and upgrades an existing spot.

The team has several starting spots which are holes: 1 WR spot, several OL spots (if we are talking about putting a top shelf line there or two OL spots if merely upgrading it some is the goal), DT, CB (if Jackson isn't re-signed), Edge rusher (even if Lawson is re-signed).

There's little reason for me to go into detail about how little I think of this front office and coaching staff and the job they've done. Even if they get one or two decisions right this off-season, they'll blunder so many others that it'll just continue to be an f'n mess.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 03:19 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm interested to see the answers.  Some will say, not another O Line Post.  Yet as much as we know the Blocking has been worst in NFL the last 4 seasons, come the Draft fans want everything but Blockers.

I'll make my point that I said all along that this O Line would get Top Pick Burrow killed.  They are getting Mixon killed also.  It is pointless to have Burrow go through Rehab and put him behind Bengals CHEAP Walmart Discount O Line. Within 2 or 3 games he will get career ending injury like Greg Cook.  The Bengals can also expect no more than 3 or 4 wins a year with such awful blockers since 2017.

Now I let you people speak.  Some are wanting WRs and everything but O Line.  

How do you rate the importance of getting a new O Line to protect Burrow and Block this team up the field....Important....Not A Top Need....Our O Line is Great as it is....or Mike Brown saying, Why Should I Pay O Linemen..

You only go as far as your offensive line take you. Agreat offensive live make the whole offense better.
Reply/Quote
If you watched the GB Packers game against the number one defense you saw what a good line can do.

In fact you saw a great NFL Defense get torched by a great offense.

OL is much more important than a TE or WR.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 03:26 PM)Kaiden.Gower Wrote: I think what people argue is that we can get them in fa. Not that they aren’t welcome from the draft. If you pick up 2 quality starters in fa why not grab chase or another playmaker in the first that is worthy of the 5th overall pick

This is it
Reply/Quote
It is the most important thing followed closely by stopping the run and rushing the passer on Defense.

Solidify the trenches and build from the inside out on both sides of the ball.

Protect Burrow, open up holes in the running game, stop the run and rush the passer should be our team's entire focus this Offseason. Spend like we did last year in doing just this and we will be competitive barring another year of being decimated by injuries.
Reply/Quote