Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOw many blown first round picks have the Bengals had over the years??
David Klingler
Akili Smith
John Ross
Billy Price
Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson
Ki Jana Carter
David Pollack
Andre Smith
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darquez Dennard

.......and these are the only ones I can think of, but I know there have got to be others. I know Pollack had a career ending injury, but still.....

Cincinnati is prob close to being if not being THE #1 team in the NFL in blowing first round picks
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 05:50 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: David Klingler
Akili Smith
John Ross
Billy Price
Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson- Nope
Ki Jana Carter
David Pollack
Andre Smith- Nope
Dre Kirkpatrick- Nope
Darquez Dennard- Nope

.......and these are the only ones I can think of, but I know there have got to be others. I know Pollack had a career ending injury, but still.....

Cincinnati is prob close to being if not being THE #1 team in the NFL in blowing first round picks

The bolds are false.

ESPECIALLY Wilkinson.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I would take Andre Smith off the list. What we wouldn't give for a young healthy player like him this year.

You could make a case for Kirkpatrick & Dennard too.
Reply/Quote
That is a painful list. Gotta add maybe a Top 3 franchise worst mistake: Cedric Ogbuehi. Let Whitworth go in part, because of that chump.

I think you take off Dre. Several year starter. I’d make the argument Keith Rivers is more of one than him for sure.
Reply/Quote
I'd also add that pollack wasn't really a blown pick. Had a career ending injury.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 05:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The bolds are false.

ESPECIALLY Wilkinson.

Gotta disagree on Smith and Dennard. Neither played like what you expect out of a first rounder.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:00 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: I'd also add that pollack wasn't really a blown pick. Had a career ending injury.

That’s in the OP...
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 05:53 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I would take Andre Smith off the list. What we wouldn't give for a young healthy player like him this year.

You could make a case for Kirkpatrick & Dennard too.

I don't know how any of them could be considered blown picks when they've all played as quality starters for years and earned multiple contracts. Especially for some of the back of the 1st round guys. 

Also Pollack and some of the others who had freak injuries are kind of lame to use. This list should be for people like Ross, Price, or Cedric. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:02 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: That’s in the OP...

Yeah, but I don't think he should even be included. If you include him you have to include Greg Cook, who no one would say was a bust, or at least I've never seen anyone argue he was a bust.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:05 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Yeah, but I don't think he should even be included. If you include him you have to include Greg Cook, who no one would say was a bust, or at least I've never seen anyone argue he was a bust.

Agreed. I don’t think career ending injury should qualify as a bust. Just a tragedy. Same goes for Carter.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Agreed. I don’t think career ending injury should qualify as a bust. Just a tragedy. Same goes for Carter.

I 100% agree with that. 
Reply/Quote
Smith was really good. He maybe wasn't first round good but he's so underrated around here.

It's a shame.
Reply/Quote
I guess letting go of Bill Walsh don't count.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 05:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The bolds are false.

ESPECIALLY Wilkinson.

Yep, Big Daddy was a really, really good player on some really bad teams.
Reply/Quote
I would take Andre Smith, Dennard, Kirk and Wilkinson off of that list, like Truck said. Andre played very, very well in his original tenure here and I would love to have a player of that caliber here at RT again. For those who put their weight into PFF ratings, Andre was rated as follows....

2009 (rookie)- 71, 0 sacks
2010 (injured) - 50, 3 sacks (54th most)
2011 - 70.6, 3 sacks (58th most)
2012 - 80.5, 7 sacks (11th most)
2013 - 79.5, 6 sacks (25th most)
2014 - 65.2, 4 sacks (37th most)
2015 - 54.9, 3 sacks

By the time 2014 and 2015 rolled around, he had already suffered a myriad of injuries which is what led to his decrease in effectiveness. Throughout his career, he fractured his left foot in 2009, fractured his foot again in 2010, had an ankle injury in 2011, had a concussion that kept him out of the 2014 pre-season, then was lost for the season in week 11 with a triceps injury. Since then, he has suffered another concussion(s), a knee injury, an elbow injury and another triceps injury.

He was injury prone, but before those injuries started to really add up, he was playing really, really well.

Dennard was always one of our better corners and was very valuable in the run game due to his physicality. I would love to still have him on the team. Kirkpatrick, on the other hand, was the opposite. He wasn't super physical and was a better cover corner than he was a run stopper. If anyone is going to have an argument made for being a bust, I would say that it is Dre. He was spotty in coverage and was never really good against the run, so I could absolutely see an argument for him. Wilkinson racked up 35 sacks and 162 tackles in his 4 years here. That is wonderful production. He didn't live up to #1OA status, but I wouldn't say that is a bust either. That is really good production.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:27 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would take Andre Smith, Dennard, Kirk and Wilkinson off of that list, like Truck said. Andre played very, very well in his original tenure here and I would love to have a player of that caliber here at RT again. For those who put their weight into PFF ratings, Andre was rated as follows....

2009 (rookie)- 71, 0 sacks
2010 (injured) - 50, 3 sacks (54th most)
2011 - 70.6, 3 sacks (58th most)
2012 - 80.5, 7 sacks (11th most)
2013 - 79.5, 6 sacks (25th most)
2014 - 65.2, 4 sacks (37th most)
2015 - 54.9, 3 sacks

By the time 2014 and 2015 rolled around, he had already suffered a myriad of injuries which is what led to his decrease in effectiveness. Throughout his career, he fractured his left foot in 2009, fractured his foot again in 2010, had an ankle injury in 2011, had a concussion that kept him out of the 2014 pre-season, then was lost for the season in week 11 with a triceps injury. Since then, he has suffered another concussion(s), a knee injury, an elbow injury and another triceps injury.

He was injury prone, but before those injuries started to really add up, he was playing really, really well.

Dennard was always one of our better corners and was very valuable in the run game due to his physicality. I would love to still have him on the team. Kirkpatrick, on the other hand, was the opposite. He wasn't super physical and was a better cover corner than he was a run stopper. If anyone is going to have an argument made for being a bust, I would say that it is Dre. He was spotty in coverage and was never really good against the run, so I could absolutely see an argument for him. Wilkinson racked up 35 sacks and 162 tackles in his 4 years here. That is wonderful production. He didn't live up to #1OA status, but I wouldn't say that is a bust either. That is really good production.

While Smith and Dennard were solid players, when you draft a guy in the first round and top 10 in Smith’s case, you expect more than solid. They make any pro bowls? We’re they ever considered top tier at their position? Either one get a large contract after their rookie one expired? They played like 3rd rounders.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 05:50 PM)swilson3828 Wrote: David Klingler
Akili Smith
John Ross
Billy Price
Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson
Ki Jana Carter
David Pollack
Andre Smith
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darquez Dennard

Forgot about Cedric Ogbuehi.

A couple of Noles too, Peter Warrick and Reinhard Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: While Smith and Dennard were solid players, when you draft a guy in the first round and top 10 in Smith’s case, you expect more than solid. They make any pro bowls? We’re they ever considered top tier at their position? Either one get a large contract after their rookie one expired? They played like 3rd rounders.

Dennard was drafted in the lower end of the first round and he produced at that level when he played. He struggled with injuries, so if you want to make that argument then that’s fine, but his production was there.

Smith was considered a top tier RT for several years there, yes. Then injuries caught up to him and he fell off. I am not going to say that he lived up to a 6th overall selection because of his position at RT, but he absolutely gave high level play there for several years. It’s unfortunate he struggled with injuries because he was very good.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: While Smith and Dennard were solid players, when you draft a guy in the first round and top 10 in Smith’s case, you expect more than solid. They make any pro bowls? 'dre should have We’re they ever considered top tier at their position?'dre was, hence PFF Either one get a large contract after their rookie one expired?'dre did. They played like 3rd rounders. No they didn't.

Answers in bold; feel the way you do about the guys, but numbers don't lie.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 06:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Answers in bold; feel the way you do about the guys, but numbers don't lie.

Those PFF numbers are not top tier. What Whit puts up is top tier. Smith’s numbers are just good starter numbers, well maybe the one year cracking 80, but you’d expect more than one good year out of a top 10 pick on a 6yr $42mill contract. If we signed a FA OT to a contract like that would you be ok with one year as a pro bowl level player? When you’re a top 10 pick getting a second contract of 3yrs $18mill is not a big second contract. Bobby Hart just got one almost that size.

While we’re on the topic of picks playing to their draft position, the Bengals have been pretty good at finding stars in rounds after the 1st. Like Whit, Ocho, Atkins, Dillon, Rudi, Pickens. Maybe they should trade out of the first every year for extra 2nd and 3rd rounders.
Reply/Quote