Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HTPG Amazing Stats on Burrow
First of all, I apologize for not having all the exact numbers, as I listened to it while mowing the lawn (Those noise cancelling earbuds are flipping amazing).

Jay Morrison had accumulated all the TDs and INTs for Burrow since he began his NFL career and broke them down in to "quarters".

By "quarters", I mean this:

First drive/Second drive is the first quarter

Third drive/Fourth drive is the second quarter

Fifth drive/Sixth drive is the third quarter

And, lastly, Seventh drive/Eighth drive is the fourth quarter

I was absolutely FLOORED at the statistics: Since his NFL career began, Joe Burrow has ONE first "quarter" TD. ONE. It was to Chris Evans, I believe. Something ridiculous like 8 INTs. His completion rate and QB rating were also below average. Of course, Joe's numbers really took off the second "quarter" and so on.

Jay pointed out that his "peers", who were included in the same analysis, (Mahommes, Herbert, and Rogers) were almost completely backwards. They all did much better in their early drives. I know this includes Burrow's first year where he didn't have quite the weapons and he never really had much of a line, but ONE TD in the first two drives and poor competion % and QB Rating?

Jay was analyzing this as a bit of "I can figure you out" for Joe, which may be accurate. However, I looked at it as the so-called "scripted plays" from Zac and Callahan as being quite poor. Herbert, Mahommes, and Rogers have a play set that is executed and usually involves hitting guys that are schemed wide open. I just don't see that from Zac and Callahan.

The Bengals need a quick start to get up on the Cowboys and put them away early. I hope they get this poor start trend reversed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, I apologize for not having all the exact numbers, as I listened to it while mowing the lawn (Those noise cancelling earbuds are flipping amazing).

Jay Morrison had accumulated all the TDs and INTs for Burrow since he began his NFL career and broke them down in to "quarters".

I was absolutely FLOORED at the statistics:  Since his NFL career began, Joe Burrow has ONE first "quarter" TD.  ONE.  It was to Chris Evans, I believe.  Something ridiculous like 8 INTs.  His completion rate and QB rating were also below average.  Of course, Joe's numbers really took off the second "quarter" and so on.  

Jay pointed out that his "peers", who were included in the same analysis, (Mahommes, Herbert, and Rogers) were almost completely backwards.  They all did much better in their early drives.  I know this includes Burrow's first year where he didn't have quite the weapons and he never really had much of a line, but ONE TD in the first two drives and poor competion % and QB Rating?

Jay was analyzing this as a bit of "I can figure you out" for Joe, which may be accurate.  However, I looked at it as the so-called "scripted plays" from Zac and Callahan as being quite poor.  Herbert, Mahommes, and Rogers have a play set that is executed and usually involves hitting guys that are schemed wide open.  I just don't see that from Zac and Callahan.

The Bengals need a quick start to get up on the Cowboys and put them away early.  I hope they get this poor start trend reversed.

Just an addition - for your "first quarter" grouping, Joe has more pick sixes (99 yard pick six vs. Browns, week 9 2021; pick six this past Sunday) than he does passing touchdowns (24 yard touchdown pass to Chris Evans vs. Detroit, week 6, 2021). He has one passing TD and six INTs total, by my count. This lines up with my feeling that Cincinnati was always a slow starter and took off later in the game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 09:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: First of all, I apologize for not having all the exact numbers, as I listened to it while mowing the lawn (Those noise cancelling earbuds are flipping amazing).

I was absolutely FLOORED at the statistics:  Since his NFL career began, Joe Burrow has ONE first "quarter" TD.  ONE.  It was to Chris Evans, I believe.  Something ridiculous like 8 INTs.  His completion rate and QB rating were also below average.  Of course, Joe's numbers really took off the second "quarter" and so on.  

Jay pointed out that his "peers", who were included in the same analysis, (Mahommes, Herbert, and Rogers) were almost completely backwards.  They all did much better in their early drives.  I know this includes Burrow's first year where he didn't have quite the weapons and he never really had much of a line, but ONE TD in the first two drives and poor competion % and QB Rating?

Jay was analyzing this as a bit of "I can figure you out" for Joe, which may be accurate.  However, I looked at it as the so-called "scripted plays" from Zac and Callahan as being quite poor.  Herbert, Mahommes, and Rogers have a play set that is executed and usually involves hitting guys that are schemed wide open.  I just don't see that from Zac and Callahan.

The Bengals need a quick start to get up on the Cowboys and put them away early.  I hope they get this poor start trend reversed.

As an offensive TEAM, we need to get better on offense in 1st half that means coaches and players across the offense but Burrow and Zac have the most impact overall to get this team moving in 1st half.  At same time both seem to be doing better with half time adjustments since we tend to be an offensive team in 2nd halfs, so fix 1st half and keep hitting on 2nd half adjustments
Reply/Quote
Maybe Burrow keeps hinting at this "we've never been a first half team all year".

That Jacksonville prime time night game where he was mic'd up and said something like "**** this, time to takeover" in the 2nd half - it's funny to think it meant I'm calling my own plays now, not Zac's lol.

Tee Higgins going down has a tremendous impact on the offense. Forcing balls to Tyler Boyd.
Reply/Quote
He does seem to get better as the game goes on. Interesting.
Reply/Quote
First 15 or so plays are scripted correct? This falls on the coaching staff.

Or perhaps Burrow is a slow starter he did mention he likes to get hit before he gets going.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote

I was absolutely FLOORED at the statistics: Since his NFL career began, Joe Burrow has ONE first "quarter" TD. ONE. It was to Chris Evans, I believe. Something ridiculous like 8 INTs. His completion rate and QB rating were also below average. Of course, Joe's numbers really took off the second "quarter" and so on.

Jay pointed out that his "peers", who were included in the same analysis, (Mahommes, Herbert, and Rogers) were almost completely backwards. They all did much better in their early drives. I know this includes Burrow's first year where he didn't have quite the weapons and he never really had much of a line, but ONE TD in the first two drives and poor competion % and QB Rating?

Jay was analyzing this as a bit of "I can figure you out" for Joe, which may be accurate. However, I looked at it as the so-called "scripted plays" from Zac and Callahan as being quite poor. Herbert, Mahommes, and Rogers have a play set that is executed and usually involves hitting guys that are schemed wide open. I just don't see that from Zac and Callahan.

The Bengals need a quick start to get up on the Cowboys and put them away early. I hope they get this poor start trend reversed.

Yet Morrison disagrees. You do realize that Joe may be the most involved QB in the NFL with the call sheet and plays? And it’s why Jay thinks it’s Joe just takes settling in.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Just start Brandon Allen and bring Burrow out in the second or third quarter. Problem solved!

I should be an NFL head coach!
Reply/Quote
IIRC didn't they go like 7 or 8 games in before they even scored on the 1st drive ? Seems I remember the announcers talking about it ?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 10:53 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Tee Higgins going down has a tremendous impact on the offense. Forcing balls to Tyler Boyd.

Higgins was available for the 1st two drives. Last year we were terrible on thr first two drives regardless of Higgins playing or not. 

At this point it's definitely a trend and something that needs changing. I listened to that podcast as well and no other top QB is even close to being as bad as our offense is the first 2 drives of the game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 12:41 PM)QueenCity Wrote: First 15 or so plays are scripted correct?  This falls on the coaching staff.

Or perhaps Burrow is a slow starter he did mention he likes to get hit before he gets going.

I obviously don't know Burrow well enough to know what he's thinking to start a game, but it could be a mentality, that he's just out there to get into the game, run the scripted plays, and then start figuring things out mid-game and find ways to beat the defense, based off the beginning of the game. 

That may be 100% wrong, but you don't really see or feel a sense of urgency to get the ball in the EZ in the first quarter. It's silly to say they "don't care about scoring" but i just question their urgency. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 02:21 PM)TheFan Wrote: Higgins was available for the 1st two drives. Last year we were terrible on thr first two drives regardless of Higgins playing or not. 

At this point it's definitely a trend and something that needs changing. I listened to that podcast as well and no other top QB is even close to being as bad as our offense is the first 2 drives of the game. 

Higgins did well in their first 2 drives, him missing the rest of the game affected it as much as when TJ Watt got injured.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 03:10 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Higgins did well in their first 2 drives, him missing the rest of the game affected it as much as when TJ Watt got injured.

I don't think you're getting what this OP is talking about. It has nothing to do with WRs doing well or whether we're better with a WR in or not. 

The facts are that Burrow has only thrown 1 TD and has 6 INTs on the 1st 2 drives of all games in his NFL career. Basically all of his stats are exponentially worse on the 1st 2 drives of the game and then he is an elite QB the rest of the game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 03:31 PM)TheFan Wrote: I don't think you're getting what this OP is talking about. It has nothing to do with WRs doing well or whether we're better with a WR in or not. 

The facts are that Burrow has only thrown 1 TD and has 6 INTs on the 1st 2 drives of all games in his NFL career. Basically all of his stats are exponentially worse on the 1st 2 drives of the game and then he is an elite QB the rest of the game. 

I don't think you read my entire post and only commented on the last sentence.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 03:33 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I don't think you read my entire post and only commented on the last sentence.

I did. But "Higgins going down" is completely irrelevant to what the OP is talking about or forcing the ball to Boyd because Higgins played the 1st 2 drives. 

I didn't think you insinuating the reason the offense does well is because some made up theory that Burrow took over the offense and ignored Zac was worth responding to. We've seen Burrow go up to the line and call audibles (he did it alot this past Sunday) and the 1st 2 drives were still disasters. 
Reply/Quote
Combined with the RedZone offense the last 3 years (30th, 29th, 23rd TD%), this does nothing to take me off Team ZacStinksAsPlaycaller.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 03:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Combined with the RedZone offense the last 3 years (30th, 29th, 23rd TD%), this does nothing to take me off Team ZacStinksAsPlaycaller.

we  also rate QBs with Redzone so what is the phrase we should use for Burrow then ?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 03:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Combined with the RedZone offense the last 3 years (30th, 29th, 23rd TD%), this does nothing to take me off Team ZacStinksAsPlaycaller.

I went with the 1st year HC excuse. Then I got on board with the Oline sucks excuse. Now I'm tired of excuses.

Yes I'm talking to you Zac
Reply/Quote

Yep. To me, 'in-game Taylor' is the Bengals biggest weakness/thing to overcome. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Yep, Zac's fault. he should call for all those 1st quarter INTs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote