Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti panhandling laws
There is a big legal debate over laws that prohibit "panhandling" or asking for money. Some courts are now saying that they violate free speech. Obviously any aggressive behavior is still going to be illegal, but what about just asking people for money on the streets? Should that be outlawed? Would it make a difference if the person was holding a sing instead of just asking?
(11-04-2015, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is a big legal debate over laws that prohibit "panhandling" or asking for money.  Some courts are now saying that they violate free speech.  Obviously any aggressive behavior is still going to be illegal, but what about just asking people for money on the streets?  Should that be outlawed?  Would it make a difference if the person was holding a sing instead of just asking?

I disagree with anti-panhandling laws.

Yes, it's sometimes annoying. Sure, it's not always convenient when somebody stops and asks if you've got bus fair or if you'd like to save the puppies or whatever.

But as long as they aren't impeding traffic or being a clear nuisance, I think it falls under freedom of speech. And by nuisance, I mean if somebody follows you for two blocks asking if you'd like to  give money. And — given that I live in a rural area — there are times when the traffic is an issue. Every year the VFW collects at an intersection near my subdivision. It's a great cause, but I dread it. Everybody stops and tosses in a few bucks and it blocks traffic up for miles.

Plus, I hate slippery slope arguments, but it's not a far jump from most panhandling laws to banning people trying to make legitimate sales. For some sales types, going door to door or in the general public is the most effective avenue.

And to the bolded, I don't think it matters if they sing. Unless they've got instruments. Then they can put their case out and work for tips. Mellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I don't know what in the Constitution would allow the government to ban asking for money. Loitering laws and such may work, but just telling people they can't ask others for money seems blatantly unconstitutional to me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I don't mind panhandlers...at least they're working for their handouts.
Asking for money, or asking for my signature for a cause, or asking me to hate such and such all are speech that should be protected. If it is public property they should have right to speak, as long as it doesn't endanger anyone based on where they are standing (i.e. in a road).
I think outlawing it is too much.
What I would like to see is that there is "zoning" so to speak.
Make it so that certain areas require a permit to panhandle.
We all know that it is unlikely that a permit would be attained, so the people would stay clear of those congested areas.
How it would be determined what zones were what, is beyond what little thought I have applied.
Panhandling takes many forms. The worst was a large black guy on the trains in Chicago (as in, you can't exactly just walk away) who would make this loud announcement that he had recently gotten out of jail (he'd hold up his laminated police report) and that he needed money to ride the train and find a job and that he would NOT resort to robbery to get the money. I didn't particularly care for that guy or his approach. There certainly is some intimidation in telling people you are a criminal who is desperate for money and won't resort to violence if you don't have to. HINT HINT WINK WINK.

Most panhandlers don't even register on my consciousness, but I see it as a more capitalistic thing than most people do. I can give him/her money or not and then I can feel good/stupid about it. Many people give money and then hold their heads high feeling as if they did a good thing and that is more of an exchange for goods and/or services than most people realize. To me it's simply another "product" that I don't care to spend money upon. Then again, I don't lecture the people or yell at them either.
I go throughout downtown Cincy on an almost daily basis for work and don't give them any coin.  When I go to sporting events and I see a sign "why lie I will buy beer" I normally give them something.  I'm normally intoxicated @ that point.  I'm  more inclined to help someone that isn't fabricating their situation.  If there was a way to "tell" that someone was truly down on their luck, I probably would give more often.
Panhandling shouldn't be limited in public.