Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEA Chief on Marijuana: ‘Don't Call It Medicine—That Is a Joke’
http://www.newsweek.com/dea-head-marijuana-dont-call-it-medicine-joke-391068

Quote:Just as presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders filed a Senate bill Wednesday that would allow states to end their marijuana prohibitions without federal government interference, the acting administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration called the plant “bad” and “dangerous.”

"What really bothers me is the notion that marijuana is also medicinal—because it's not," DEA chief Chuck Rosenberg told reporters, CBS reports. "We can have an intellectually honest debate about whether we should legalize something that is bad and dangerous, but don't call it medicine—that is a joke."

He continued: "There are pieces of marijuana—extracts or constituents or component parts—that have great [medicinal] promise.… But if you talk about smoking the leaf of marijuana—which is what people are talking about when they talk about medicinal marijuana—it has never been shown to be safe or effective as a medicine."

Rosenberg’s comments coincide with the release of the agency's annual National Drug Threat Assessment Summary. Among other things, the 2015 report notes that “marijuana concentrates, with potency levels far exceeding those of leaf marijuana, pose an issue of growing concern.”

The federal drug law enforcement official’s anti-marijuana remarks on Wednesday are not his first. In a July conference call, Rosenberg said, “If you want me to say that marijuana is not dangerous, I’m not going to say that because I think it is,” according to U.S News & World Report. “Do I think it’s as dangerous as heroin? Probably not. I’m not an expert.

Referring to which cases the agency will focus its efforts on investigating, Rosenberg added in July: “Typically it’s heroin, opioids, meth and cocaine in roughly that order and marijuana tends to come in at the back of the pack....[but] we are not going to shy away from doing marijuana cases where appropriate. We want to do the biggest and most important cases there are.”
http://www.dea.gov/about/leadership.shtml

CHUCK ROSENBERG 
Acting Administrator, Drug Enforcement Administration

[Image: rosenberg.jpg]
Chuck Rosenberg was appointed Acting Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) on May 13, 2015 by Attorney General Loretta Lynch. 

Prior to joining DEA, Mr. Rosenberg served as the chief of staff and senior counselor to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Director Comey.  Before rejoining the FBI, Chuck was a partner at a Washington, D.C. law firm.  Prior to that, Chuck served as the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, which is routinely entrusted with many of the nation’s most sensitive terrorism and national security prosecutions.  As the chief federal law enforcement officer for the district, Chuck supervised the prosecution of all federal crimes and the litigation of all civil matters involving the federal government.  From June 2005 until March 2006, Chuck served as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas – one of the largest districts in the nation with six offices, including one in Houston and three on the border of the United States and Mexico.

Chuck also served in several senior posts at the Department of Justice, where his work focused on counterterrorism, counterintelligence, national security, and criminal matters, including service as chief of staff to Deputy Attorney General Jim Comey (2004-2005), counselor to Attorney General John Ashcroft (2003 – 2004), and counsel to FBI Director Robert Mueller (2002 – 2003).  From 1994 to 2000, Chuck was an assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia.  There, Chuck tried dozens of cases before juries and briefed and argued many of those cases to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.  Chuck prosecuted cases that ranged from complex financial fraud crimes to violent crimes and espionage.

Chuck is a graduate of Tufts University (BA), Harvard University (MPP), and the University of Virginia (JD).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-05-2015, 05:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.newsweek.com/dea-head-marijuana-dont-call-it-medicine-joke-391068

http://www.dea.gov/about/leadership.shtml

CHUCK ROSENBERG 
Acting Administrator, Drug Enforcement Administration

[Image: rosenberg.jpg]
Chuck Rosenberg was appointed Acting Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) on May 13, 2015 by Attorney General Loretta Lynch. 

Prior to joining DEA, Mr. Rosenberg served as the chief of staff and senior counselor to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Director Comey.  Before rejoining the FBI, Chuck was a partner at a Washington, D.C. law firm.  Prior to that, Chuck served as the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, which is routinely entrusted with many of the nation’s most sensitive terrorism and national security prosecutions.  As the chief federal law enforcement officer for the district, Chuck supervised the prosecution of all federal crimes and the litigation of all civil matters involving the federal government.  From June 2005 until March 2006, Chuck served as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas – one of the largest districts in the nation with six offices, including one in Houston and three on the border of the United States and Mexico.

Chuck also served in several senior posts at the Department of Justice, where his work focused on counterterrorism, counterintelligence, national security, and criminal matters, including service as chief of staff to Deputy Attorney General Jim Comey (2004-2005), counselor to Attorney General John Ashcroft (2003 – 2004), and counsel to FBI Director Robert Mueller (2002 – 2003).  From 1994 to 2000, Chuck was an assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia.  There, Chuck tried dozens of cases before juries and briefed and argued many of those cases to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.  Chuck prosecuted cases that ranged from complex financial fraud crimes to violent crimes and espionage.

Chuck is a graduate of Tufts University (BA), Harvard University (MPP), and the University of Virginia (JD).
Job security
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Who smokes the leaves?
(11-05-2015, 07:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Who smokes the leaves?

I was just about to ask the same thing.
I will not deny that there are a lot of people who want "medical" marijuana legalized just so they can get high. But there is plenty of evidence that smoking marijuana can have medicinal benefits.

But I think we are beyond legalizing just medical marijuana. People are saying legalize it because it should be legal, not because it is medicinal.