Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had My High School Jersey Retired Tonight!
My high school asked me to come to the game tonight because it was against our biggest rival, Highlands, and it was the football program's 50th anniversary.

I was honored and was excited to be part of it and I knew that they were retiring a few people's jerseys, my cousins' included (Kenny and Brian Williams- Kenny fell off an overpass when he was 24 or so and I was in 2nd grade, and then Brian died in the World Trade on 9/11).

They have me down on the sideline a ten or twenty minutes before kickoff and tell me that they were retiring my jersey, too.

Wait...... what?!

There's only 5 other people, including my two cousins, with their jersey retired! It's unbelievable!

I was the first freshman ever to start varsity and I was having a good sophomore year up until the wreck (they actually decided to play me at receiver, too, the day of the wreck, so I'd be going both ways at receiver and safety as a sophomore), but it was more about the spirit I've shown off the field and everything I've been through.

It was an INCREDIBLE night for me!
Reply/Quote
Congratulations and awesome to hear man!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Very awesome Brad. Thanks for sharing.

Reply/Quote
That's cool Brad.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Very cool Brad !
Can your jersey collect a pension now that its' retired ?
What was the number on it ?
Congrats !!!
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 02:34 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Very cool Brad !
Can your jersey collect a pension now that its' retired ?
What was the number on it ?
Congrats  !!!

Like a boss!
[Image: 188802_502776985530_8004_n.jpg?oh=a402d1...e=5A6A806F]
Reply/Quote
I was excluded from any of this kind of glory probably for giving up on the school by 10th grade.
I kind of half ass followed the coming and going of the school cliques to find out that only a very small percentage of students in my age group were even invited to the "reunion" so it's limited to the tiny group of nepotists ,but hey..I'm not bitter about it. They're the movers and shakers of legends in their own minds..

Congratulations though Brad. Be glad you didn't go to my school at the time. Unless your dad was the coach the best you could have hoped for was to watch your team lose every game when the class bullies were the only ones who got to actually play. All the cheerleaders were knocked up by 10th grade and are now all old alcoholics and drug addicts.. 
What a great time to be a kid, eh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Congrats Brad!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 10:20 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Congrats Brad!

Thank you VERY MUCH!
Reply/Quote
Ah the good old days when shoulder pads were GIANT
Reply/Quote