Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hail Mary defense
We gave up one of these on a tipped ball earlier in the year

The ravens wr just missed this one

For all you coaches is there a better way to defend these plays?

Should some players be responsible for jumping for the ball and others marking the opponents players?

Just wondering because we lucked out yesterday.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not sure what techniques they need to change but it definitely needs addressed. I still get sick seeing how close that was. I think the main problem was that whoever got there hand on it missed time they're jump. But maybe have designated jumpers or players looking to get a 2nd tip to knock it again if necessary. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Tee on the field in a spot like that because I don't think anyone is out jumping him.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 07:51 PM)bengals67 Wrote: We gave up one of these on a tipped ball earlier in the year

Should some players be responsible for jumping for the ball and others marking the opponents players?

Curious about this also. We were so lucky the receiver didn’t get his hands on it. Seems in the years past this was the type of fluke play that would go against us. Nice to see us on the right side of these, none bigger than the Hubbard return.
Reply/Quote
Really good idea on Tee!

I’m a soccer coach and in soccer what our D did on last play is called “ ball watching”

No one was marking the guy who almost caught the ball.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 07:51 PM)bengals67 Wrote: We gave up one of these on a tipped ball earlier in the year

I had painful memories of that Denver Broncos BS when I saw the ball batted!
I couldnt take that again. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals were very fortunate #3 did not catch that batted Hail Mary pass

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:00 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not sure what techniques they need to change but it definitely needs addressed. I still get sick seeing how close that was. I think the main problem was that whoever got there hand on it missed time they're jump. But maybe have designated jumpers or players looking to get a 2nd tip to knock it again if necessary. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Tee on the field in a spot like that because I don't think anyone is out jumping him.

Use to see tall receivers and TE’s defending the jump ball in hail Mary’s all the time. Not sure why we don’t as much.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:19 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Bengals were very fortunate #3 did not catch that batted Hail Mary pass

It was too close for my nerves. At first I thought he caught it till I saw the ball out. I don’t think Balt would have kicked the extra point. I know they gave the best kicker yada yada for OT but they had nothing to lose. I’m convinced they would have went for 2 for the win if they scored.
Reply/Quote
Really nothing to do but tell your guys to bat passes downward, and not try to catch it because then that’s how you get a tip.

If i were a coach I’d literally yell at a guy if he caught a wide open INT with no time left instead of batting it down

There is no need to even TRY
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Use to see tall receivers and TE’s defending the jump ball in hail Mary’s all the time. Not sure why we don’t as much.

I think Gronk ruined that for everyone with the last second Miami Miracle. 

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:51 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think Gronk ruined that for everyone with the last second Miami Miracle. 

That's what I was thinking. But in certain situations like last night where it's gonna end in the end zone and not be a lateral play.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Use to see tall receivers and TE’s defending the jump ball in hail Mary’s all the time. Not sure why we don’t as much.

Yeah. They don’t have to cover anyone. Just stand on the goal line and see which way the ball is thrown. Tee would be perfect.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:41 PM)Housh Wrote: Really nothing to do but tell your guys to bat passes downward, and not try to catch it because then that’s how you get a tip.

If i were a coach I’d literally yell at a guy if he caught a wide open INT with no time left instead of batting it down

See, I don't like that because, like last night, that gives players a chance to catch the ball when it's near the ground and the rest of the players are still in the air from the jump.

I'd like to see them bat the ball sideways because everyone is in that group, so batting the ball sideways doesn't let any of their players grab the tip near the ground like what almost happened last night.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 09:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: See, I don't like that because, like last night, that gives players a chance to catch the ball when it's near the ground and the rest of the players are still in the air from the jump.

I'd like to see them bat the ball sideways because everyone is in that group, so batting the ball sideways doesn't let any of their players grab the tip near the ground like what almost happened last night.

You bat it forward and down unless there’s somebody right in front of you facing you. Which would be weird.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:39 PM)TKUHL Wrote: It was too close for my nerves. At first I thought he caught it till I saw the ball out. I don’t think Balt would have kicked the extra point. I know they gave the best kicker yada yada for OT but they had nothing to lose. I’m convinced they would have went for 2 for the win if they scored.

Harbaugh wouldve gone for two IMO.  He likes to go for the win when possible.  Twice last year he went for the 2 to win rather than the tie.  However I believe they lost both of those games after failing to convert
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 09:21 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: Harbaugh wouldve gone for two IMO.  He likes to go for the win when possible.  Twice last year he went for the 2 to win rather than the tie.  However I believe they lost both of those games after failing to convert

QB sneak from the two would have been the perfect call.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 09:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You bat it forward and down unless there’s somebody right in front of you facing you. Which would be weird.

Players expect that but no one would expect batting it to the side.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 09:21 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: Harbaugh wouldve gone for two IMO.  He likes to go for the win when possible.  Twice last year he went for the 2 to win rather than the tie.  However I believe they lost both of those games after failing to convert

I had a feeling he would go for two if he scored. I saw it mentioned on Twitter and someone suggested that was why they were trying to save they're timeouts. Which might well be the case because if they score and the 2pt fails they would still have an onside kick try with a timeout to get into field goal range. Whatever the reason for the lack of timeout usage I was very surprised by the Ravens poor clock management at the end of the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:41 PM)Housh Wrote: Really nothing to do but tell your guys to bat passes downward, and not try to catch it because then that’s how you get a tip.

x2
Reply/Quote