Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hal McCoy says Reds will finish last in 2016 also
(12-23-2015, 11:35 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Despite the weird obsession Reds fans have with blaming Walt Jocketty for, well, everything and anything...he's been very good with trades.
He got Choo for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorius.
He got Eugenio Suarez for Alfredo Simon.
Anthony Desclafani for Mat Latos.
Mat Latos for Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal (both PED guys)

he's made a lot of very good moves.
Most people hate him for the moves he never made (because that's all on him, nothing to do with other teams) 
My beef with him is the faulty and outdated operating model.  That comes from the top.  The horrendous lack of offensive fundamentals is indeed offensive.  Nobody improves at the plate, nobody ever learns how to bun, hit behind runners.  They just give away at bats and if they aren't hitting homers, they aren't scoring.  Other than Votto, every guy on the team has a giant hole in his swing that never gets fixed.

The reasons they weren't winning three years ago are the same exact reasons now.

They do well defensively but, just like any sport that keeps score--you don't score, you don't win.

The entire organization needs a new model and Jokerty is either too stubborn or just too clueless on how to ever do it.  Even if you catch up in the talent department, it still won't get you there if you're operating out of the previous century.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 01:58 PM)nevergonnachange Wrote: If they aren't making the playoffs, they may as well get high draft picks to help speed along the rebuild

Man, I despise rooting for my team to tank, but this might be the best thing for the Reds.  Shitty farm systems can become good ones quick with a few years of high draft picks.  Not sure if there are any Strasburgs or Harpers coming out over the next 3 drafts, but if there are, the Reds should have a shot at them.

Another plus is that there is zero reason to rush prospects to the big leagues at this point.  If Winker or Blandino need an extra year or two in the system, then who cares?  Let them percolate down there until they are good and ready.  I honestly feel that bringing Hamilton op in 2014 to be a full time starter was an awful decision.  It took him a fair amount of time at every level of the minors to adjust and start hitting.  He should have stayed at Louisville in 14. 

I'm very interested to see if they invest the high picks in pitching or offense.
Reply/Quote
I love reading Hal, I really do, but as far back as I can remember he's always predicted doom and gloom. The thing about minor leaguers is you never know how fast they're going to develop or if they ever will. Sometimes a guy will get drafted in the 49th round and end up league mvp so you just never know.
Same with other teams..Sometimes a team looks great on paper, but just can't win games.
If the Reds are in dead last place by the ASG stick a fork in them, but you never know. Maybe they'll hit paydirt in these trades although I doubt it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 02:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: I love reading Hal, I really do, but as far back as I can remember he's always predicted doom and gloom.  The thing about minor leaguers is you never know how fast they're going to develop or if they ever will.  Sometimes a guy will get drafted in the 49th round and end up league mvp so you just never know.
Same with other teams..Sometimes a team looks great on paper, but just can't win games.
If the Reds are in dead last place by the ASG stick a fork in them, but you never know.  Maybe they'll hit paydirt in these trades although I doubt it.

Even if they do hit pay dirt, it will probably still be a year or two or three from now.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 02:09 PM)McC Wrote: Even if they do hit pay dirt, it will probably still be a year or two or three from now.

Face it men we are gonna suck this year and probably many more.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 04:28 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Face it men we are gonna suck this year and probably many more.

Yep.  Unfortunately.  I'm just not sure if the men in charge of the rebuild are up to the task.

Reply/Quote
Way to go out on a limb there, Hal.

The Reds may lose 120 games this year. It's going to be bad.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Looks like the Reds signed a young shortstop prospect

The Reds and Alfredo Rodriguez agreed to a $6 million contract, according to a report on MLB's website. The 21-year-old hit .265 last season with La Isla De LA Juventud in Cuba's Serie Nacional, and he won Gold Gloves in 2014 and 2015.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:08 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Looks like the Reds signed a young shortstop prospect

The Reds and Alfredo Rodriguez agreed to a $6 million contract, according to a report on MLB's website. The 21-year-old hit .265 last season with La Isla De LA Juventud in Cuba's Serie Nacional, and he won Gold Gloves in 2014 and 2015.

Cuba is turning out some players these days.  Wonder how far from the majors he is.

Reply/Quote
I try very hard every year to follow the Reds.. and watch them but it just tails off, I hope this year they can keep my attention it gives me something to focus on until Football season....... SO Go REDS!!!
Reply/Quote
This was not a surprise considering the salaries divvied out to Joey V and Brandon P.
The question is do MLB players have to be paid directly from MLB revenue?
Reply/Quote
I think the Reds may finish 4th in the NLC ahead of the Brewers. Milwaukee has their own troubles. Cubs and Cardinals will duke it out for the top with the Pirates third.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 10:50 PM)McC Wrote: Cuba is turning out some players these days.  Wonder how far from the majors he is.

The Cuban pipeline for players is drying up. Anyone with talent in Cuba jumps ship ASAP and the Castros can't stop the bleeding. I wish I could link the article because it was pretty interesting..
Still, there's talent to be found in Asia and south of the border and still some left here, but sandlot ball is nothing like it was when I was a boy. We spent all summer behind the house in the school yard playing ball. Now mommy and daddy have to part with a few hundred bucks just for a fielders glove and forget a wooden bat unless pop has a wood lathe and a great supply of ash wood..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'm going to stay positive and make a "BOLD" prediction.. REDS WIN THE PENNANT! REDS WIN THE PENENT! REDS WIN A DICTIONARY SO I CAN LOOK UP PENNENT!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 10:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm going to stay positive and make a "BOLD" prediction.. REDS WIN THE PENNANT! REDS WIN THE PENENT! REDS WIN A DICTIONARY SO I CAN LOOK UP PENNENT!

LMAO.

Pennant.  You had it right the first time.

Reply/Quote
Funny how I can spell really difficult words with ease and yet other words, easy words will forever remain an enigma despite having looked them up almost every year at the same time.. WTF is that about anyway? Lol

Reply/Quote
We really need a way for the Cardinals to tank really badly the way we do every ten years or so..

Reply/Quote
Let me add a little more cheer here.

You have to remember that not all prospects become good players. If we have not judged the talent well, or if we don't have the coaching to keep developing them it is possible none of these guys amount to anything in the majors.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me add a little more cheer here.

You have to remember that not all prospects become good players.  If we have not judged the talent well, or if we don't have the coaching to keep developing them it is possible none of these guys amount to anything in the majors.

AND, it can take a few years to even know.

Reply/Quote
On the other hand Fred..sometimes players surprise us, get drafted really low and go on to become MVP.. I'm gonna stay positive.. Reds win it all this time as the ultimate Cinderella underdogs..
Or maybe not..

Reply/Quote