Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halftime Adjustments
http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/oklahoma/desktop/interviews/malcolmmitchell.html

I was reading this on NFL.com and Malcolm Mitchell says "No, I mean we just went back out there [after halftime of Super Bowl LI] and tried to play better. That's it. [We didn't change the game plan.]"

Found that interesting since Marvin gets all kinds of hate for not changing what we're doing mid-game. Is it just poor execution of our game plans or a poor game plan or what?
Reply/Quote
If you wait until halftime to adjust you are going to lose. Coaches should have the ability to adjust on the fly, find consistencies, and encourage execution.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 05:58 PM)eoxyod Wrote: If you wait until halftime to adjust you are going to lose. Coaches should have the ability to adjust on the fly, find consistencies, and encourage execution.

This.

Marv says that crap about halftime adjustments because he makes adjustments throughout the game. The problem is there seems to be a pattern of it not working so well in the second half.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin makes adjustments

They just suck and the opposing team shits on them and after the second set of adjustments Marvin Lewis is stumped.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 09:33 PM)Housh Wrote: Marvin makes adjustments

They just suck and the opposing team shits on them and after the second set of adjustments Marvin Lewis is stumped.

This should be the opening sentence to the authorized Marvin Lewis Biography whenever it is published.
Reply/Quote
Desert turtles adjust quicker than Mr. Giggles!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 09:33 PM)Housh Wrote: Marvin makes adjustments

This just simply is not true.  Nothing but a message board/talk radio myth.

Since '11 the Bengals have 31 "come from behind" victories and their .464 winning percentage in games where they trailed ranks 7th best in the league.  Too bad the haters around here won't let any facts get in the way of them continually repeating this myth.

Like someone already said there is not such thing as "halftime adjustments" because teams are making adjustments all the time throughout the game.  And from my own experience teams usually don't re-write the playbook at halftime.  Instead they concentrate on what mistakes have been mad in execution instead of scheme.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This just simply is not true.  Nothing but a message board/talk radio myth.

Since '11 the Bengals have 31 "come from behind" victories and their .464 winning percentage in games where they trailed ranks 7th best in the league.  Too bad the haters around here won't let any facts get in the way of them continually repeating this myth.

Like someone already said there is not such thing as "halftime adjustments" because teams are making adjustments all the time throughout the game.  And from my own experience teams usually don't re-write the playbook at halftime.  Instead they concentrate on what mistakes have been mad in execution instead of scheme.

This is true, but could also be categorized as an adjustment.  We've also seen some schematic changes at the half as well though.  Denver vs. Cincinnati at Denver in 2015 comes to mind....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Heres the only way Marvin knows how to make adjustments of any kind:

[Image: a-men-with-their-hands-in-their-pants-fu...ures-8.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2017, 04:49 PM)GodFather Wrote: Heres the only way Marvin knows how to make adjustments of any kind:

[Image: a-men-with-their-hands-in-their-pants-fu...ures-8.jpg]

What's to adjust?  He doesn't have any.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
You wanna see halftime adjustments in action? Watch most any game the Bengals ever play against the Steelers.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 04:14 PM)McC Wrote: You wanna see halftime adjustments in action?  Watch most any game the Bengals ever play against the Steelers.

I'll bet you can't list one single halftime adjustment made by the Steelers against the Bengals in the last several years.  For example what hal time adjustment did the Steelers make in the last playoff game that lead to them blowing a 15 point lead.

That is the problem with so many posters around here.  They just believe in a myth because of a win or a loss.

"I have no idea what a halftime adjustment is, but if the Bengals lose and people tell me it is because of halftime adjustments i will just blindly believe it."
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll bet you can't list one single halftime adjustment made by the Steelers against the Bengals in the last several years.  For example what hal time adjustment did the Steelers make in the last playoff game that lead to them blowing a 15 point lead.

That is the problem with so many posters around here.  They just believe in a myth because of a win or a loss.

"I have no idea what a halftime adjustment is, but if the Bengals lose and people tell me it is because of halftime adjustments i will just blindly believe it."

I am sure that like most things, coaching football is more complicated than it looks. And, it looks pretty complicated to begin with.

But, I do feel like we are often out coached. So, if it isn't half time adjustments, what is it? We have all talked about having an owner who is loyal - a good quality - but loyal to a fault which gets you five years of Dave Shula. Maybe it is something similar in Marvin. Maybe he has a tendency to stick with the game plan too long before adjusting? We've all seen coaches who go to the same well too often (think Brat and the shovel pass). Maybe Marvin and his staff get so convinced they should be able to exploit a certain match up or have an advantage out of a certain formation that even when the evidence is mounting that they were wrong or that the other team game planned to not let that advantage materialize they just stick with what they thought would work for far too long.

And, to be fair, that has to be a tough call to make in a game, especially when you consider the ego of players and the overall confidence level. Example, if they go in saying, "Tyler Eifert is the first option on every play we run in the first quarter" and after 3 series they have run 3 plays, gained 7 net yards, and punted three times what do they do? If they pull Eifert or start running plays where he not only isn't the first option he is no option what does that do to Eifert's confidence. He has to think, wow, I was a key to the game plan this week and I failed everyone. And, the rest of the team has to think, wow, we came into this game with a crap plan - wtf is going on?

But, they alternative is to stick too long with a plan that is not working (and it seems this what they usually do) and only when they are desperate do they deviate.

Still, beyond any of that, I think Marvin has two big problems. 1. (Too much confidence in defense:) He still thinks he is coaching that Ravens defense. A team comes out and scores a touchdown on the opening drive against them and Marv thinks, "Well, that was a fluke, they will be lucky to get another field goal today." Might have been true that one season in Baltimore, but the result is we get down by two and three scores and he still coaches like he is ahead. 2. (Not aggressive enough on offense:) A similar thing hurts us from the offensive side. We get a 3 point lead and Marvin coaches like he is up by 3 scores, not 3 points. He never seems to try to extend a lead and it seems amazing how many times Dalton (and Palmer before him) led furious come backs that fell short (or led to victory often - as Fred pointed out). But the reason they come into the fourth quarter behind and often by quite a bit is when a team gets a lead they don't open the play book wider to try to catch up until the game is almost over and when they have a lead of a point they are content to sit on it and not try to extend it.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll bet you can't list one single halftime adjustment made by the Steelers against the Bengals in the last several years.  For example what hal time adjustment did the Steelers make in the last playoff game that lead to them blowing a 15 point lead.

I don't know specifically, but take the playoff game where CP went down.  Then there's the last Steelers game.  Bengals dominate the first half, do nothing in the second.  Somebody did something at halftime.

Sorry.  You only asked for one.  

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 01:30 PM)xxlt Wrote: But, I do feel like we are often out coached.

Many people "feel" the same way.  But "feeling" is not always reality.  For example.  .  .  .  

(02-23-2017, 09:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Since '11 the Bengals have 31 "come from behind" victories and their .464 winning percentage in games where they trailed ranks 7th best in the league. 

Marvin just is not as bad at making in game adjustments as many people claim.

I believe that adjustments are made at all points throughout the game, but for those insist on arguing just about halftime adjustments I have posted the numbers that show the Bengals are generally in the top half of the league in third quarter and second half scoring.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Many people "feel" the same way.  But "feeling" is not always reality.  For example.  .  .  .  

Marvin just is not as bad at making in game adjustments as many people claim.

I believe that adjustments are made at all points throughout the game, but for those insist on arguing just about halftime adjustments I have posted the numbers that show the Bengals are generally in the top half of the league in third quarter and second half scoring.

OK, I think they are out coached, LOL. And while your numbers are not alternative facts, they don't necessarily prove great coaching or even above average coaching. We can interpret them to mean the team oten starts slow, often trails in the second half of games, is always reacting rather than acting, etc. They "prove" when they score and how many points, but not how or why.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 04:33 PM)xxlt Wrote:  We can interpret them to mean the team oten starts slow, 

Uh, no, you can not interpret them that way.  Since 2011 the Bengals scored first 53 times.  Only 5 other teams have done better.  Bengals coaching staff have the team starting better than 26 other teams.
Reply/Quote
Wow. Whoever erased my previous post thanks a lot. Good to see people can handle the truth around here. Get a grip, mods
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, no, you can not interpret them that way.  Since 2011 the Bengals scored first 53 times.  Only 5 other teams have done better.  Bengals coaching staff have the team starting better than 26 other teams.

How does the team that starts better than anyone lead the universe in comeback wins too? I am sure they are the greatest of all time in the middle of the game. Jesus, how have they not won 11 of the last 6 Super Bowls? The numbers say they should have!
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 08:42 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Wow. Whoever erased my previous post thanks a lot. Good to see people can handle the truth around here. Get a grip, mods

That's weird. I had a post disappear a few days ago too. But, I just blamed Obama and Hillary and moved on.
Reply/Quote