Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halftime Defensive Adjustments
Are we going to ignore that the Chiefs only touched the ball 3 times in the second half vs 6 times in the first half? That clearly played a huge part in the defense only giving up 3 points.

If we don't get the PI called on us. If Apple makes the Pick. If Hilton makes the pick. We likely would have stopped them 3 times in the first half (half their drives) which is probably the same we would have done in the second half.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hendrickson wouldn't give up the details, but he mentioned a couple of things they changed up for the 2nd half in his post game interview.

Believe Mahomes mentioned it briefly in his postgame interview as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yes, it was great the Bengals stopped the Chiefs in the second half, but the best "defense" was a six-minute, game-ending drive that kept Patrick Mahomes on the sideline.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 11:31 PM)TheFan Wrote: Are we going to ignore that the Chiefs only touched the ball 3 times in the second half vs 6 times in the first half? That clearly played a huge part in the defense only giving up 3 points.

Are you going to ignore that the Chiefs only touched the ball 4 times in the first quarter but scored 21 points.

Offense does not make defense better.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 10:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not as much as Trey Hendrickson?

How many Rings does Hendrickson have?

Here is that point.  Marvin never said he didn't make halftime adjustments.  He never said they were "fake".  He simply said that they are not as big of a thing as journalist make them out to be.  And it appears multiple Super Bowl winning head coaches agree with him.

But some people just like to make stuff up to shit on Marvin.
Reply/Quote
I told you all on the GD thread what would happen.. Lou's ANCIENT Chinese Secret.. Calgon take me away!  and it worked!  ThumbsUp
<<< My weekly reference to some crappy old TV commercial 
There is another possibility nobody has ever bothered to ponder. Maybe they realized that after being down by two TDs they might lose the game if they didn't step it up..... NAHHHH..Had to be Halftime adjustments..  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 10:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hard to believe the Mediocre Merv Militia is still a thing, yet here we are. Mellow

We are all just waiting for Taylor to improve enough to be called "mediocre"
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We are all just waiting for Taylor to improve enough to be called "mediocre"

Taylor won his first division title within the same amount of time as Marvin.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Taylor won his first division title within the same amount of time as Marvin.

Marvin won his quicker.  He only needed 14 games to clinch the division with an 11-3 record.
Reply/Quote
The stuff that some of you guys argue about is really weird.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We are all just waiting for Taylor to improve enough to be called "mediocre"

Also waiting for Marv to stop being considered some kind of super strategist in times of crisis..  Mellow  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 09:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How many Rings does Hendrickson have?

Here is that point.  Marvin never said he didn't make halftime adjustments.  He never said they were "fake".  He simply said that they are not as big of a thing as journalist make them out to be.  And it appears multiple Super Bowl winning head coaches agree with him.

But some people just like to make stuff up to shit on Marvin.

He flat out called them "journalistic jargon". That insinuates he didn't believe in them at all, and judging by what we saw a lot of times, he didn't. His oline coach also said you "didn't have time to coach up players during the season", while Pollack apparently still teaches and drills fundamentals all the way through. 

All of that said, it did seem that Marvin and several members of that staff were VERY rigid in gameplan and methodology....as well as practice structure. They didn't seem to adapt very well, and when they got behind in big stage games, they stayed there usually. That's kind of a hallmark of not adjusting to what your opponent is doing to you. 

Anyway, the past is the past, it's just comical how you always defended Marvin, no matter the case, but can't give ol boy wonder any credit for helping right the ship that Marvin and staff caused to eventually list. Reply all you want, I'm finished with the topic. Your opinion is no better than mine, and *current* NFL players that were actually in that locker room (Chase said the same thing about the offensive side) Sunday kinda led me to my opinion. Not retired or fired coaches. 

As for Sean Payton, maybe he should look into them, cause he ain't doing so hot without Brees. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:26 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The stuff that some of you guys argue about is really weird.

It wasn't my intent to argue, but alas.....

Anyway, I guess I shouldn't have made the sarcastic reference, that seemed to get it started. I was just here to discuss it initially.

Reply/Quote
I think it's pretty stupid to think when they go in at halftime for 20 minutes, the coaches don't sit down with their respective players and talk about where they are getting gashed and change something to fix it. What do you think they are doing in there, having tea?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it's pretty stupid to think when they go in at halftime for 20 minutes, the coaches don't sit down with their respective players and talk about where they are getting gashed and change something to fix it. What do you think they are doing in there, having tea?

I mean, we see them doing it on the sideline with the white boards and iPads so it's reasonable to assume it is part of the halftime routine. I'm not suggesting it is always intense or rigorous, but surely communication exists about what to do during the 3rd and 4th quarters.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2022, 12:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Guys, it's right on the team's website....lol.

From Trey Hendrickson:

"We have a lot of faith in Joe (Burrow) and knew we needed to get him the ball back. All of the coaches implemented some great adjustments up front. We had to stop the run and pressure the quarterback. Making those halftime adjustments are what it is to be a professional, and I think we did it well."

Now, yes, it's not like you install a new defense, or make radical changes, but during the half (used to be whiteboard and pictures if you were lucky), you get a chance with your position coaches to look at some tape, and show the players what they need to do differently, and what the opponent is doing to you. Players adjust accordingly. Coaches may add a simple wrinkle, and change small things. The position coaches have received instruction from the coordinator during the game on things they need to be looking at. Sometimes you have time to do some of these adjustments in the sidelines, sometimes you have to wait until the half, and sometimes the adjustments are figured out right before the half, so you go in and implement them.

Nice post Wyche. This is a big deal whether some like to write it off or not.

Teams have to make adjustments all game long, of course they make some during HT.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Wyche. This is a big deal whether some like to write it off or not.

Teams have to make adjustments all game long, of course they make some during HT.

Right, HT just gives you a little more one on one time, time to go a little more in depth, and less noise. 

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: He flat out called them "journalistic jargon". That insinuates he didn't believe in them at all, and judging by what we saw a lot of times, he didn't. His oline coach also said you "didn't have time to coach up players during the season", while Pollack apparently still teaches and drills fundamentals all the way through. 

All of that said, it did seem that Marvin and several members of that staff were VERY rigid in gameplan and methodology....as well as practice structure. They didn't seem to adapt very well, and when they got behind in big stage games, they stayed there usually. That's kind of a hallmark of not adjusting to what your opponent is doing to you. 

Anyway, the past is the past, it's just comical how you always defended Marvin, no matter the case, but can't give ol boy wonder any credit for helping right the ship that Marvin and staff caused to eventually list. Reply all you want, I'm finished with the topic. Your opinion is no better than mine, and *current* NFL players that were actually in that locker room (Chase said the same thing about the offensive side) Sunday kinda led me to my opinion. Not retired or fired coaches. 

As for Sean Payton, maybe he should look into them, cause he ain't doing so hot without Brees. Mellow

This whole argument is kind of silly, for one reason. As mErv and numerous other coaches and players have pointed out, there's not enough time during halftime to break out the ole chalk board and start drawing up different things to do for the 2nd half. 

That doesn't mean that there's no such thing as "halftime adjustments". Any decent coach/player will admit that after halftime, they will do some things differently than they did the 1st half. So, adjustments were made after halftime, hence the phrase "halftime adjustments", they just aren't drawn up on the board in the locker room. 

My thoughts are, that's what Marv was talking about when he said "journalistic jargon". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 02:25 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This whole argument is kind of silly, for one reason. As mErv and numerous other coaches and players have pointed out, there's not enough time during halftime to break out the ole chalk board and start drawing up different things to do for the 2nd half. 

That doesn't mean that there's no such thing as "halftime adjustments". Any decent coach/player will admit that after halftime, they will do some things differently than they did the 1st half. So, adjustments were made after halftime, hence the phrase "halftime adjustments", they just aren't drawn up on the board in the locker room. 

My thoughts are, that's what Marv was talking about when he said "journalistic jargon". 

You're probably right on what he meant....but we often didn't see much change, so.....

This staff absolutely adjusts.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 08:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: You're probably right on what he meant....but we often didn't see much change, so.....

This staff absolutely adjusts.

During Marvin Lewis's tenure he was in the top half of the league in winning percentage in games where he trailed and had to come back to win.

Taylor is 25th.

Fans see what they want to see.  Bengals made lots of in game adjustments and came from behind many times to win under Marvin, but once fans turned on him they refused to acknowledge anything positive and only saw the negative.
Reply/Quote