Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halftime adjustments
(11-06-2015, 01:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I keep hearing how awesome Johnny was in the 1st half, and then Pettine made him stay in the pocket in the 2nd half.  No.  The Bengals didn't allow him to leave the pocket in the 2nd half.

This^^^^

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:23 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Last night was the best job this coaching staff has done making adjustments at halftime in recent memory. Let's face it, at halftime this team was being outplayed. If it wasn't for the starks penalties we would have been tied or losing at the half.

But then halftime came and went.

After that it was a whole  new team.  Paulie G especially knocked it out of the park in getting Manziel contained.  And how about Marvin winning challenges and staying aggressive on 4th downs? Kudos to this entire  team from top to bottom last night.  

With solid coaching like we saw last night coupled with the immense talent on this team, something special is brewing in the Queen city.

Absolutely! This was one of the biggest knocks on this coaching staff last year. Now they seem to be making much more effective adjustments.

Reply/Quote
Browns killing us when midget escapes pocket, keep midget in pocket.
Brilliant adjustment. My Mom could have made that one. Sorry, just saying.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 07:50 PM)Utts Wrote: Browns killing us when midget escapes pocket, keep midget in pocket.
Brilliant adjustment. My Mom could have made that one. Sorry, just saying.

Remember last year when we'd do the exact same things in the second half that didn't work in the first half?

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not nearly as often as some people try to claim.  the past two years the bengals have ranked 7th and 11th in points bscore in the third quarter, so on offense we have clearly been better at making halftime adjustments than most other teams in the league.

The whole "lack of halftime adjustments" has been a bit of a myth.  I think it is mainly because of the epic failures we have had in the second half of our playoff games.  Everyone remembers those and forgets that we don't usually do that bad in the second half of our regular season games.

Stigmas are harder to get rid of than they are to gain.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Here's a huge adjustment they made. The Browns didn't try to get away with this (https://vine.co/v/eLjH2vAq13g) anymore. Not sure why, either. They had two really bad PI ignored (one offensive, one defensive) plus some of the most aggressive ignoring of holding I have ever seen outside of a Seattle game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:23 PM)Shady Wrote: Yep, which is how we often allow teams to get back in the game on us. 

I HATE THE PREVENT :angry:
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:14 PM)Derrick Wrote: I HATE THE PREVENT :angry:

Don't use it on Madden 16 for sure.
Reply/Quote
I dont know what game you watched but we had control the whole game. The difference is johnny played like garbage the second half. We were the better team. Period. We werent going to let the cleveland browns beat us. Half time adjustments ! Ha!!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 12:38 AM)Gohards Wrote: I dont know what game you watched but we had control the whole game. The difference is johnny played like garbage the second half. We were the better team. Period. We werent going to let the cleveland browns beat us. Half time adjustments ! Ha!!!!

The game I watched saw the Browns out gain us in total yards by about 60 yds in the first half, almost had us doubled up on pass yards and were winning the time of possession battle.   

We had one good scoring drive in the first half. The second scoring drive only turned into a td because of two boneheaded cleveland penalties.

The coaches successfully tweaked both offense and defense and in the second half the total yards were somewhere in the ballpark of 250 to  32 in favor of cincinnati. 

Tale of two halves and halftime adjustments were not all of it but certainly a big part of it. 

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 01:24 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: The game I watched saw the Browns out gain us in total yards by about 60 yds in the first half, almost had us doubled up on pass yards and were winning the time of possession battle.   

We had one good scoring drive in the first half. The second scoring drive only turned into a td because of two boneheaded cleveland penalties.

The coaches successfully tweaked both offense and defense and in the second half the total yards were somewhere in the ballpark of 250 to  32 in favor of cincinnati. 

Tale of two halves and halftime adjustments were not all of it but certainly a big part of it. 

Cleveland is where they are because they can't hang for 60 minutes.  Things like the two bad penalties are what they do. 

Before the game, I said this game would be like the Buffalo game and it was.  Both teams did some good things but both teams also shot themselves in the foot and neither team could ultimately stay in it for the whole game.  That's how it so often works.

On defense, based on what I read, it wasn't so much  making an adjustment on the rush as doing a better job of executing what the plan was all along.

On offense, it was mostly a matter of having too much fire power for them to contain.  Eventually, plays would be made.

To me, the second half was as much about the cream rising to the top as it was halftime adjustments.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 04:06 AM)McC Wrote: Cleveland is where they are because they can't hang for 60 minutes.  Things like the two bad penalties are what they do. 

Before the game, I said this game would be like the Buffalo game and it was.  Both teams did some good things but both teams also shot themselves in the foot and neither team could ultimately stay in it for the whole game.  That's how it so often works.

On defense, based on what I read, it wasn't so much  making an adjustment on the rush as doing a better job of executing what the plan was all along.

On offense, it was mostly a matter of having too much fire power for them to contain.  Eventually, plays would be made.

To me, the second half was as much about the cream rising to the top as it was halftime adjustments.
I don't disagree with the cream rising to the top. I think we all watched that game just waiting for that to begin to take place. 

However, The players were contradicting each other about halftime adjustments. Iloka said "I can't give you details but we didn't change much" but then Dunlap said "Early in the game, we were a little messed up because you can't really game plan for Johnny. You don't know what offense they're going to give him, if they're going to get him the option stuff - it didn't work for them last time - or whether they're going to let him be a quarterback. That's why you make those adjustments at halftime... "

my thing is, while I don't believe they completely overhauled the entire gamelan, I do think they fine tuned and tweaked it a little bit. The players responded and executed it perfectly and that is all you can ask. 

quite frankly you never want to see big adjustments at halftime because that means your coaching staff was clueless on their initial game plan. 

But It's the little tweaks and adjustments that make all the difference in the world. Those separate good teams from great teams. And on Thursday night, in my humble opinion, I think the coaching staff did a great job of that.  

Reply/Quote