Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hank Fraley OL coach interview
(01-07-2021, 07:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This one seems like the most Zac Taylor type hire.

Sadly I thought the same thing. No NFL experience but is his buddy, makes sense the way he put his first coaches in place.
Reply/Quote
Another weak resume. That's been a theme under Zac Taylor.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
From what I've read around the internet, a lot of the players who have worked with him pretty much like Fraley. That's something that Turner never really had with the constant drill sergeant act. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
You can be a drill sergeant and succeed - the key is that you must have earned respect beforehand.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 12:59 AM)Joelist Wrote: You can be a drill sergeant and succeed - the key is that you must have earned respect beforehand.

yeah, just ask Mike Zimmer. I was at Bengals training camps back when Zimmer was here. Lee Emery took notes from Zimmer. Trust me. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
His name was Ermey....
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 12:33 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: From what I've read around the internet, a lot of the players who have worked with him pretty much like Fraley. That's something that Turner never really had with the constant drill sergeant act. 

is it better for your players to like you...

Or Respect you.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 10:04 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is it better for your players to like you...

Or Respect you.

it tends to be both ... they are not  just exclusive from each other ..also  because someone in a conversation says "like" you can't just read into that they don't "respect" them.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 10:30 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: it tends to be both ... they are not  just exclusive from each other ..also  because someone in a conversation says "like" you can't just read into that they don't "respect" them.

You can definitely like and respect at the same time.  But you can also respect someone you don't like as a friend.  

I've had bosses over the years I couldn't stand to sit down with for a beer or have casual conversation with if it wasn't necessary, but I respected the hell out of them for how they ran their orgs.  I worked hard for them and knew that we were doing big things.  So, not like but respect.

And  I've had bosses I really liked and I worked hard for, but they were inefficient at best and clueless at worst.  No matter how much effort we put in, we were wasting time and not getting the results any of us wanted.  The desire to keep plugging decreases pretty fast regardless of how much you like someone.  Like, no respect.  

The unicorn is the boss that you respect because they're awesome at their job, a great leader and motivator and creating positive change every day.  And you'd love to sit down with them for a beer.  A quick calculation of my own work history puts that at less than 5% of people I've worked for over the years and I can't be alone in that.  But liking isn't a requirement to be inspired and motivated and give your full effort.

There have been plenty of "players coaches" that were never successful.  Guys on the team loved them but that was as far as it went.  There are other coaches who have been difficult to be around from a personality standpoint who have had successful careers.  Burrow has spent one year with Zac, and didn't get his full first season because of the injury so there is unfinished business and I'm sure Burrow wants to see what's next.  But I'm willing to bet that the fastest way to earn Burrow's respect is to win games, not just talk about winning games. 
Reply/Quote
On the bright side, he's more qualified than Zac.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 12:59 AM)Joelist Wrote: You can be a drill sergeant and succeed - the key is that you must have earned respect beforehand.

Reminds of Greg Schiano. He had that same approach, and it didn't work in the NFL at all. It seems to work much better in college.
You can't have that type of authoritarian hardass approach when dealing with professionals, especially ones who are veterans.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 05:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just listened to yesterday’s “Locked On” pod. They pointed out a couple of things I didn’t have knowledge of:

-Frayley’s background has a a lot of FB and jumbo lines
-Det ran a lot of outside zone and power man vs our mostly inside zone

So, his hiring might mean a tweak to Taylor’s schemes and adding a FB, which is a plus in my opinion.

It would be a welcomed change IMO.
The running game got a lot better in 2019 when they ran gap man.
Also, FB should help open up holes for Mixon.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 10:30 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: it tends to be both ... they are not  just exclusive from each other ..also  because someone in a conversation says "like" you can't just read into that they don't "respect" them.

but they arent mutually inclusive either... So which would you perfer.
Reply/Quote
Has there been any snippets of other interviews?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 05:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just listened to yesterday’s “Locked On” pod. They pointed out a couple of things I didn’t have knowledge of:

-Frayley’s background has a a lot of FB and jumbo lines
-Det ran a lot of outside zone and power man vs our mostly inside zone

So, his hiring might mean a tweak to Taylor’s schemes and adding a FB, which is a plus in my opinion.

OL coach has no say on what type of blocking scheme we use.

And we are not going to use a fullback with Burrow drawing up the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 07:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Are you kidding me? A lot of teams have their Oline coaches as run game coordinators.

Yes, the OC, along with the OL, WR, and RB coaches work in concert to teach the skills required to execute the plays called for in the HC's offensive plan.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 08:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sadly I thought the same thing. No NFL experience but is his buddy, makes sense the way he put his first coaches in place.

I thought the same thing at first too. But then I thought, ya know, the whole point of firing Turner (mutual decision my ass) was that the front office realized that Zac hiring "his guys" in 2019 was an epic failure, and won't do that again. I'm not sure Zac is making these decisions anymore, or at least I hope not. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 07:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Are you kidding me? A lot of teams have their Oline coaches as run game coordinators.

IIRC, didn't we find out near the end that Paul Alexander had been coordinating our run game?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

No I am not kidding at all.

You seriously believe that the O-line coach is the one who tells the OC and HC to use a fullback and what running plays to call?
Reply/Quote
Anyone heard anything?
Reply/Quote