Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebuilding an Automatic Transmission
The one thing I have never done is rebuild an Automatic Transmission and would like some advice from those who have.

I have a Ford Explorer XLT with a 4.0 V6 and a 4WD Transmission that is going out. I will most likely be buying a new vehicle and rather than trade this Explorer in, I would like to rebuild the Transmission and let my oldest have it since his car is a crappy Cobalt, lol.

I have changed Transmissions out in the past but never rebuilt one myself and I'm wondering if it's as intimidating as it sounds?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hell, just sitting here thinking about it, it may be less of a headache just to buy a rebuilt Transmission and put that in rather than rebuild the one in the truck now.

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply/Quote
ya, that's beyond my mechanical expertise.  Some days I'm just lucky if I can change my own oil, let alone change brakes.  Bad *****?  That's where i'll go buy a different car.   I don't mind tinkering with them here and there, but I know my limits.  I'll be following this thread to see how you come along.  Good Luck Nebby!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Never ****** with one.....looks pretty complicated.  I've done synchronizers in a manual trans, but never anything outside of filters, gaskets, torque converter, and shift modules in an automatic.  Probably best to just swap one out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I've watched several videos now on rebuilding an automatic transmission and have decided there is no way in hell I can pull this off, lol.

Then again, I might get one from a junkyard and mess around with it but to rebuild one for an actual vehicle just isn't going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:39 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I've watched several videos now on rebuilding an automatic transmission and have decided there is no way in hell I can pull this off, lol.

Then again, I might get one from a junkyard and mess around with it but to rebuild one for an actual vehicle just isn't going to happen.

Ha ha ha.....not a bad plan....like you, I'd probably just stick with swapping the transmission out....much easier. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote