Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yey..the power of a gigantic universal remote
My 89 year old dad has been using 3 separate remotes with his TV and cable box and sound bar . He's blind in one eye and can barely see with the other and has for the past few years driven both the Mrs and myself nuts by clicking on the input button and getting completely lost at least 3 times a day not to mention losing them under his chair at least once a week .
So...I bought one of those 12" long by 5" wide remotes at Harbor Freight and son of a *****, IT WORKS with both the TV AND cable box and the sound bar and the input button isn't located right by the  on and off button . 
I'm pretty sure he'll find a way to screw it up ,but for now it's solved multiple problems at once for $6.99..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 07:51 PM)grampahol Wrote: My 89 year old dad has been using 3 separate remotes with his TV and cable box and sound bar . He's blind in one eye and can barely see with the other and has for the past few years driven both the Mrs and myself nuts by clicking on the input button and getting completely lost at least 3 times a day not to mention losing them under his chair at least once a week .
So...I bought one of those 12" long by 5" wide remotes at Harbor Freight and son of a *****, IT WORKS with both the TV AND cable box and the sound bar and the input button isn't located right by the  on and off button . 
I'm pretty sure he'll find a way to screw it up ,but for now it's solved multiple problems at once for $6.99..

I love old folks.  They have a way of bringing bygone things to life in a way that simply reading about it cannot do justice.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 08:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I love old folks.  They have a way of bringing bygone things to life in a way that simply reading about it cannot do justice.  
My dad is a bit unique with technology.  He loves new gadgets, but it's all moved beyond his learning abilities . I can't really blame him . After all, in his lifetime he's gone from being born at home with no electricity nor indoor plumbing to the world we all live in today . When you think about the past century has seen more radical change in technology than any time in recorded history. He was 14 years old when the very first man made object ever went into space. That was the V2 A4 rocket. Heck, when many of us were children the telephone only transmitted sound and was likely bolted to the kitchen wall and a few remember rotary phones with metal dials..  
Anyway, technology often moves so quickly now that few are able to keep up with it. Imagine trying to keep up  with technology if you live to the ripe old age of 89 or older . I dare say that in 20 years from now there will be everyday gadgets that right now seem impossible. 
I can still remember asking my dad why they don't make tvs you can hang on the wall like a picture. He pointed to the big, heavy glass picture tube on our old tv and  said it'll never happen.  I am rapidly becoming my dad 30 years ago .
Reply/Quote