Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Knocks
(03-22-2018, 12:17 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: That's the saying, rich people don't spend money. Poor people spend money. I have wealthy people in my family, and when it comes time to actually spend money they don't know how to - or they brag that "we have unlimited income to take care of this situation".

There's a balance and in my opinion you ought to spend more than you think unless you really don't care about buying anything (like AJ), because you never know when your last day will be.

Those "rich" people also drive cars that are in dangerous condition, for example they haven't changed the tires in 5 years and it has a broken side mirror - all in the effort to be rich. Lol

Yeah there is a balance that has to happen... For instance the saying gotta spend money to make etc. 
  But you see a lot of people live above their means to try and give the impression they are doing better than they really are...  These people tend to live in debt.    
Some people with money like to show it off...  (and unless the income is steady that will lead to losing money fast.) 
Others know they have money and don't really care if you know it...  

Zero reason to buy a 200,000 dollar car that drops 30% in value as soon as you buy it.. when a 20,000 dollar car works just as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 12:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: maybe but half the time its not entertaining at all lol

That's what I read in the article too. For an "entertainment" business they sure have a problem entertaining their viewers, lol. But hell...there are story lines! **** there are storylines in NBA too, and the refs have already shown history of cheating.

I think it's easier to cheat in NFL since holding could be called every down, they can influence the games. T. Brady isn't THAT good, is he?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Folks spending money with the idea that it'll impress me are in for a rude shock . It doesn't ,but that said, I really don't know anyone who spent, say half a million bucks just to impress me .. if they did I sure wasn't informed..
The notion of football players being overnight millionaires seems just too utterly ridiculous to be worth even thinking about. Think about it for a moment . How does any player getting paid millions actually benefit any of us other than maybe entertaining us for 16, MAYBE 32 hours per year ? It doesn't. I'd be far more impressed by players if they were paid like mere mortals like the rest of us, but it's reached the ridiculous point that some fans actually believe they've actually done anything to earn such huge salaries. Are they running into burning buildings on a regular basis to save lives? Are they skilled surgeons keeping people alive?  Are they educating our children to lead useful and productive lives ?
No..they hit other guys a few hours a day a handful of days a year  without actually winning anything other than a few games .. 
I dunno folks .something just ain't right with this picture, but paying a guy 5 million bucks to hit someone else who is absolutely no threat to us seems just a tad off.. What am I missing here? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 05:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: 6 teams eligible this year. (that means can be forced to do it). Browns, Ravens, Chargers, 9ers, Redskins and Broncos. Everyone else falls into the new head coach, been in the playoffs in the last 2 years, or have been on the show in the last 10 years exemptions. 2 of these teams have already said they want no part of it (Browns and 9ers). Actually, the most watchable of the group would be the 9ers with Jimmy G., but the coach doesn't want to do it because he doesn't agree with cutting players on camera etc. So why is this in Jungle Noise? The Bengals, who have the best ratings on that show, can volunteer to do it again. Marvin Lewis on the hot seat, new oline coach and players, new OC and DC.... Mike Brown is not acting like Mike Brown..... that's good stuff right there......lol. Last two times the team did the show, they wound up in the playoffs. C'mon Mike, volunteer to do it again...... I would love to see this years training camp. 

Didn't hurt us the last two times as you said and i never can pass up more of the Bengals. All for it again. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 01:22 PM)grampahol Wrote: I dunno folks .something just ain't right with this picture, but paying a guy 5 million bucks to hit someone else who is absolutely no threat to us seems just a tad off.. What am I missing here? 

You are missing the entire theory of a free market economy.

NFL players make the money they do because the NFL generates enough money to pay them.
Reply/Quote
Hard Knocks are coming to your town
So stay alert, don't let them get you down
They tell you times are tough, you hear that times are hard
But when you work for that ace you know you pulled the right card
Hard Knocks got our pockets all in chains
I'll tell you what, homeboy, it don't have my brain
All day I have to work at my peak
Because I need that dollar every day of the weak
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 01:22 PM)grampahol Wrote: Folks spending money with the idea that it'll impress me are in for a rude shock . It doesn't ,but that said, I really don't know anyone who spent, say half a million bucks just to impress me .. if they did I sure wasn't informed..
The notion of football players being overnight millionaires seems just too utterly ridiculous to be worth even thinking about. Think about it for a moment . How does any player getting paid millions actually benefit any of us other than maybe entertaining us for 16, MAYBE 32 hours per year ? It doesn't. I'd be far more impressed by players if they were paid like mere mortals like the rest of us, but it's reached the ridiculous point that some fans actually believe they've actually done anything to earn such huge salaries. Are they running into burning buildings on a regular basis to save lives? Are they skilled surgeons keeping people alive?  Are they educating our children to lead useful and productive lives ?
No..they hit other guys a few hours a day a handful of days a year  without actually winning anything other than a few games .. 
I dunno folks .something just ain't right with this picture, but paying a guy 5 million bucks to hit someone else who is absolutely no threat to us seems just a tad off.. What am I missing here? 

You must keep the mob entertained.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!!!
Reply/Quote
That's the thing, there's a ton of money "invested" and they want/need a huge return. Where there are rich people, there are also some people who want to make even more (maybe in any way possible?). Which can take it back to the point, the "product" on the field has to support making money, and more money could be made if stories are spun. The entertainment business. If the movie is bad, it won't make enough.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown likes it because it's free advertising for the team.
Marvin Lewis likes it because it keeps the players focused through training camp and into the season which is something Marvin Lewis does not know how to do.

If you don't believe Marvin Lewis doesn't know how to keep the players focused through a season, just look at the end of every season including the playoffs and tell me those players are focused and ready to play.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 11:59 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: If you don't believe Marvin Lewis doesn't know how to keep the players focused through a season, just look at the end of every season including the playoffs and tell me those players are focused and ready to play.
Finished up last season pretty good. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 06:27 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: That's the thing, there's a ton of money "invested" and they want/need a huge return. Where there are rich people, there are also some people who want to make even more (maybe in any way possible?). Which can take it back to the point, the "product" on the field has to support making money, and more money could be made if stories are spun. The entertainment business. If the movie is bad, it won't make enough.

So you are saying that if something big happened to make the Bengals a big story then we might start winning?

Like if someone kidnapped Andy's dog.  And the only way he gets the dog back alive is if the Bengals win the Super Bowl.

You think that would get the league to fix it for us just one year?

And, of course I am not suggesting anyone try this.

But do you think it might work?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 11:59 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Mike Brown likes it because it's free advertising for the team.
Marvin Lewis likes it because it keeps the players focused through training camp and into the season which is something Marvin Lewis does not know how to do.

If you don't believe Marvin Lewis doesn't know how to keep the players focused through a season, just look at the end of every season including the playoffs and tell me those players are focused and ready to play.

You can't be honestly saying that if or when we got into the playoffs the players weren't focused? also if they weren't focused they wouldn't have won the last 2 games of last season, when we had no chance of getting to the play-offs they would have given up.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 01:53 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: You can't be honestly saying that if or when we got into the playoffs the players weren't focused? also if they weren't focused they wouldn't have won the last 2 games of last season, when we had no chance of getting to the play-offs they would have given up.

Did you not watch the playoff game against the Chargers? The whole team looked like it was hung over....
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Did you not watch the playoff game against the Chargers? The whole team looked like it was hung over....

The game we led 10-7 at halftime despite Gio fumbling at the Chargers goal line?

We did not look that bad until the second half.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 01:22 PM)grampahol Wrote: Folks spending money with the idea that it'll impress me are in for a rude shock . It doesn't ,but that said, I really don't know anyone who spent, say half a million bucks just to impress me .. if they did I sure wasn't informed..

I gotta say Grampahol, everytime I read your posts, which makes me laugh, I think of the old song, "He's just an old Hippie"....
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The game we led 10-7 at halftime despite Gio fumbling at the Chargers goal line?

We did not look that bad until the second half.

How'd we look in the 2nd half???
Reply/Quote
I love our Hard Knocks seasons. I'd love for another one. Would not be surprised to see the Niners on it though with Jimmy G getting MASS appeal now.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Did you not watch the playoff game against the Chargers? The whole team looked like it was hung over....

I think there for a time we struggled on the west coast. Time difference and lack of disciple maybe? It was constant enough when we went West, I knew it was a loss before the kickoff.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 10:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think there for a time we struggled on the west coast. Time difference and lack of disciple maybe? It was constant enough when we went West, I knew it was a loss before the kickoff.

You do realize that was a home game don't you?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 10:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You do realize that was a home game don't you?

Lol... well it’s obvious I didn’t. Head in sand!

Reply/Quote