Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hard Yards For Mixon 2.0
I think if Mixon adopted a more downhill running approach instead of always looking to bounce out or find the big play it'd help a lot. I get the feeling the need to make a play but him doing that is hurting more than helping. Also he's not a very explosive back that can take an edge run 50 yards to the house anyways.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've never been a Mixon supporter so half of what is being said doesn't surprise me.

I realize the O-Line is garbage... but Mixon tries to do his best Le'veon Bell impersonation and frankly has never been good at it. He's been mediocre and perhaps time to find a back that is much cheaper.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 09:57 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I've never been a Mixon supporter so half of what is being said doesn't surprise me.

I realize the O-Line is garbage... but Mixon tries to do his best Le'veon Bell impersonation and frankly has never been good at it.  He's been mediocre and perhaps time to find a back that is much cheaper.

Why is there now a narrative that the oline is garbage?

Volson has played well according to PFF.
Collins and Williams have been good in previous years and are in their prime.
Karras and Cappa are solid.

There's also stats that show Mixon gets less yardage than is blocked for.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 09:32 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Being under center doesn't help Mixon, or any other back. That correlation that you think exists just doesn't. Mixon has a higher yards per carry from shotgun (4.23) than he does under center (3.94). Mixon has a slightly higher ratio of explosive runs from shotgun (4.3%) than under center (4.2%). Mixon scores touchdowns at a higher ratio from shotgun (3.2%) than under center (2.5%). Mixon does everything better from shotgun, just like most other backs. 

I think the most likely explanation is that Mixon is just slowing down. We are getting to the point that we can't just say "slow start" anymore. Mixon is simply not as good as many of us thought he was, including myself. 

I remember that being the case in years past because I was shocked by that fact, but this year he actually averages .2 yards more when Burrow is under center.

I know that .2 isn't a lot, but it's still something and I think Mixon just runs better when he starts behind Burrow. 

I just don't think we're running him downhill enough where he can be a force to tackle.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to get outside in the nfl.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 09:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mixon also isn't breaking tackles or forcing many missed tackles either, which is definitely affecting his production.

I feel like he never really broke tackles like that. He got his yards by doing a lot of the dancing we’re killing him for now. There was a time where Mixon was simply never going to lose a yard on any run.

For some reason he just doesn’t flash that ability anymore and i think a lot of it is the trash play calls. He’s still young and he’s had injuries but i wouldn’t think he’s had enough to make him slower yet

I think it’s coaching
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:06 PM)Housh Wrote: I feel like he never really broke tackles like that. He got his yards by doing a lot of the dancing we’re killing him for now. There was a time where Mixon was simply never going to lose a yard on any run.

For some reason he just doesn’t flash that ability anymore and i think a lot of it is the trash play calls. He’s still young and he’s had injuries but i wouldn’t think he’s had enough to make him slower yet

I think it’s coaching

Is Perine receiving different coaching?

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is Perine receiving different coaching?

this is not an argument

Mixon has the ability to cut and juke. Perine doesnt. The Giants in the 2000 didnt tell Ron Dayne to run like Tiki Barber
Reply/Quote
If just to save Mixon's legs for the 4th (if that helps), he may run better knowing he has half the carries. I feel like when we tried to split carries with Gio it didn't work well, we'd give Gio a whole quarter, then random switch to Mixon. The flow of the game matters, if Mixon isn't doing well - try Perine! Maybe the defense isn't prepared for Perine sometimes if he's subbed in randomly. Nick Chubb is top 2-3 RB in the league yet they still split his reps with Kareem Hunt, who's no slouch either. Mixon can have his reps split.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hard to get outside in the nfl.

Linebackers have gotten smaller is the past few years as the pass heavy NFL needs guys that can cover. I like the approach of running straight at a defense as opposed to try to get to the edge. I think our O-linemen are better fit for this type of game as well. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's also stats that show Mixon gets less yardage than is blocked for.

What does this even mean?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What does this even mean?

I'm not sure of the source, or the thread it was in, but there was some sort of advanced stat that backed up this assertion last week.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not sure of the source, or the thread it was in, but there was some sort of advanced stat that backed up this assertion last week.

It was probably yards below expectation, like Burrow's sacks above expectation (i.e. Burrow's responsibility for sacks and Mixon's responsibility for a yardage loss based on the rest of the team's play expectation).

The only stat I saw was he was something like 46/49th in ability to break a tackle.
Reply/Quote
Mixon can't read a block to save his life right now. He is making cuts and such for no reason and not actually going where the play is blocked for. Add in the fact he can't pass protect well and doesn't break tackles or make people miss and a serious conversation should be had about giving Perine more touches.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:58 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It was probably yards below expectation, like Burrow's sacks below expectation (i.e. Burrow's responsibility for sacks and Mixon's responsibility for a yardage loss based on the rest of the team's play expectation).

I think that's it, good call. Rock On

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Since Mixon likes dancing so much, how come his buddies dont take him out to the clubs on Friday nights?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not sure of the source, or the thread it was in, but there was some sort of advanced stat that backed up this assertion last week.

How can you possibly determine how many yards are "blocked for"?

Wouldn't Mixon have to fall down without being touched to run for fewer yards than were "blocked for"?
Reply/Quote
Ofc it’s not ALL on Mixon…

That’s a huge gain if Jonah makes his block.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 05:14 PM)bjf123 Wrote: Agreed that Mixon had nowhere to go, but Perine seemed to have room, or he was quicker hitting the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alot easier to get yards when the D has sold out and is only worried about stripping the ball which was the case yesterday as the Jets needed TO's. Not saying I don't like Perrine as I'd really like to see he or the 3rd guy get carriers. Perrine is lower to the ground and runs harder.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 12:47 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Alot easier to get yards when the D has sold out and is only worried about stripping the ball which was the case yesterday as the Jets needed TO's. Not saying I don't like Perrine as I'd really like to see he or the 3rd guy get carriers. Perrine is lower to the ground and runs harder.

So they weren’t worried about trying to force a 3 and out to get the ball back?

Reply/Quote