Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hard Yards For Mixon
(10-29-2021, 11:10 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I've just become a senior so they'd never do that.
JN is the big time and I'm small man

That’s what she said.  Ninja

(10-29-2021, 05:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't put yourself down like that. Mellow

That’s what he said.  Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 02:38 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Still waiting for some "pops" or chunk gainers in the running game.  I believe they will come, especially as the passing offense instils more fear and respect.  Fred's post above is spot on too though.  I'd like to see us blow the opposing line off the ball a little better at times; ideally all of the time, but especially in short yardage.

I think as Carman grows as a player and Hopkins heals we will get better in short yardage running situations but we also need
to stop doing the QB sneak if it isn't working at all. Hopkins hasn't been 100% and that hurts when a big NT is in his face on 
short yardage. We can break some runs now that Carman is coming into his own and teams fear the pass as you said.

I think the big running is yet to come, but we don't have Evans this weekend. He is out with a hammy so it will be on Mixon,
Perine and Trayveon to get some chunk plays in the running game.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 02:38 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Still waiting for some "pops" or chunk gainers in the running game. 

Just curious, but why don't two 20+ yd td runs (21, 46) in the 4th quarter to seal a victory don't count?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 03:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I need Mixon to find some holes and quit running in to guys. 5 minutes after complaining about him needing to do more in the Baltimore game he finally got loose. And it was about time.

We are paying him too much for him to not be a game changer. He needs to make something out of nothing more often than he does. That’s what elite backs do. And he is being paid as an elite back

dOOd. He's 3rd in the NFL in rushing. How is that not elite right now?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I need the Brown family to sign their wealth over to me. It's simply inexcusable for them not to.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: FootballOusiders has a stat called "adjusted line yards" that tries to measure the offensive lines contribution to the running game.  It is complicated, but basically it gives the O-line more blame for runs of zero or negative yards, and also gives them less credit for "second level yards" (yards more than 10 yards past line of scrimmage).  The Bengals are 8th in "adjusted line yards".  So overall they are doing a pretty good job blocking for the run.

But they absolutely suck in short yardage situations.  That is the only real weakness I see on our team right now.  It is a small issue but it will eventually bite us in the ass.  if w can't get push in the running game we should just start throwing the ball in short yardage situations.

Remember in the game where,I believe it may have been the game against the Jaguars,where it was fourth and inches,and Burrow audibled? He hit Uzomah for a great gain,setting up the winning field goal.With a Quarterback like Burrow,I would seriously consider doing this more on third and two or less.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 05:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think as Carman grows as a player and Hopkins heals we will get better in short yardage running situations but we also need
to stop doing the QB sneak if it isn't working at all. Hopkins hasn't been 100% and that hurts when a big NT is in his face on 
short yardage. We can break some runs now that Carman is coming into his own and teams fear the pass as you said.

I think the big running is yet to come, but we don't have Evans this weekend. He is out with a hammy so it will be on Mixon,
Perine and Trayveon to get some chunk plays in the running game.

Yep! Part of the short yardage issue is we telegraph the play a lot. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 03:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I need Mixon to find some holes and quit running in to guys. 5 minutes after complaining about him needing to do more in the Baltimore game he finally got loose. And it was about time.

We are paying him too much for him to not be a game changer. He needs to make something out of nothing more often than he does. That’s what elite backs do. And he is being paid as an elite back
Running into guys...
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 09:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yep! Part of the short yardage issue is we telegraph the play a lot. 

True that, keep the Receiving threat out there to make sure the D doesn't know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Especially a D like the Ravens.

You know what is cool though is it seems Taylor is kind of just toying with things and figuring it out at this time and doesn't 
expect it to bite him ass cause he has backup. Hope it doesn't bit him in the ass but it is kind of cool just toying with things 
and having free reign while we grow. Things will get more urgent as the season goes on and we have a target on our backs.
Reply/Quote
Tiger
Where is Fred Toast
The one thing that I love is offensive lineman playing as a unit. Then running the football. ?
Reply/Quote
Tiger

You'll have multiple parades downtown Cincinnati if the offensive line is handled with kid gloves! Just run the football NOW. The pass will be available in January if you run it in November.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious, but why don't two 20+ yd td runs (21, 46) in the 4th quarter to seal a victory don't count?

Fair enough. They do count. I’ve expected a few more at this point , notably w Mixon (not a slight at him at all as I’m a very big fan of his). I suppose semantically, I could add the word “more” to my post though. I think more will pop , as there have been a few that were so close to unfolding sans a trip or shoe string tackle.
Reply/Quote