Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardy Nickerson Connection...
(05-23-2017, 05:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Normally, I'd agree, but it's always good to have a few backers that are the alpha males of the defense because, like I said, there's different sides of the field/defense and adjustments that can be made all over.  We'll want one main guy, but all the backers directing everyone and just inspiring the D with their leadership is always good.

If it was a corner or some other position trying to be a leader, I'd agree, but it's called a linebacking "core" for a reason.

Actually, it's Linebacker Corps, not to be confused with the word "corpse", but pronounced "core".  But in football, any position group is referred to as a Corps, ex.  WR Corps.  And, we did have a member of the secondary who was the leader of the defense, his name was Reggie Nelson.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 05:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, it's Linebacker Corps, not to be confused with the word "corpse", but pronounced "core".  But in football, any position group is referred to as a Corps, ex.  WR Corps.  And, we did have a member of the secondary who was the leader of the defense, his name was Reggie Nelson.

Good call on corps  ThumbsUp

And Reggie may have been a bit of a leader, but most defenses are led by the backers, and specifically usually the MIKE.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 08:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Good call on corps  ThumbsUp

And Reggie may have been a bit of a leader, but most defenses are led by the backers, and specifically usually the MIKE.

Well, seeing that Maualuga was our Mike LB, I could see how a more influential personality might assume the role of leader.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds good to me.

Was thinking the same thing. Only one guy can be calling the plays, interesting how the coaches are giving the headset
to Minter right off the bat when Burfict knows the game so well himself and is the intimidator on this Defense.

Maybe this way Burfict can just focus on being the intimidator.

Its a good thing to have guys that "Can" call the plays and set the defense incase someone like burfict goes down for a few games...    Remember a few years back when we didn't have any play callers on D and faced the patriots...  Yeah that was bad lol

This is probly to help minter pick up the defense faster.. As Burfict already knows it as well as Gunther according to Gunther
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 01:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its a good thing to have guys that "Can" call the plays and set the defense incase someone like burfict goes down for a few games...    Remember a few years back when we didn't have any play callers on D and faced the patriots...  Yeah that was bad lol

This is probly to help minter pick up the defense faster.. As Burfict already knows it as well as Gunther according to Gunther

Yeah i remember that lol.

All good points. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 05:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Normally, I'd agree, but it's always good to have a few backers that are the alpha males of the defense because, like I said, there's different sides of the field/defense and adjustments that can be made all over.  We'll want one main guy, but all the backers directing everyone and just inspiring the D with their leadership is always good.

If it was a corner or some other position trying to be a leader, I'd agree, but it's called a linebacking "core" for a reason.

It is great to have a bunch of smart Linebackers no question.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 05:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, it's Linebacker Corps, not to be confused with the word "corpse", but pronounced "core".  But in football, any position group is referred to as a Corps, ex.  WR Corps.  And, we did have a member of the secondary who was the leader of the defense, his name was Reggie Nelson.

Correct. That said, it's also correct when someone (like me) says "this core of players". 

Quote:core

kôr/
noun

1. 1.
    the tough central part of various fruits, containing the seeds.
    "quarter the pears, remove the cores then slice again into wedges"
  2. 2.
    the central or most important part of something.

When I refer to the core players, I'm talking about the most important guys. The AJ Greens, Daltons, Atkins and Burficts of the team. When you're referring to a specific position group though, "corps" would be the correct word. 

(05-24-2017, 01:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its a good thing to have guys that "Can" call the plays and set the defense incase someone like burfict goes down for a few games...    Remember a few years back when we didn't have any play callers on D and faced the patriots...  Yeah that was bad lol

This is one of the reasons I really liked the Minter signing. He was the signal caller for a pretty good defense in AZ.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Ahmad Brooks doesn't understand what you're saying.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Correct. That said, it's also correct when someone (like me) says "this core of players". 

When I refer to the core players, I'm talking about the most important guys. The AJ Greens, Daltons, Atkins and Burficts of the team. When you're referring to a specific position group though, "corps" would be the correct word. 

This is one of the reasons I really liked the Minter signing. He was the signal caller for a pretty good defense in AZ.

True, usage of core is different than corps.  As in:  The core of the team is comprised of some hardnosed veterans.  As opposed to:  The Wide receiving corps got a boost by drafting two speedy rookies.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
But Cody Core isn't a linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 05:15 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: But Cody Core isn't a linebacker.

Something Something  Cody Core of the Wr Corps Worked On Core Strenght To be a more CORE player of his Corps Something Something.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2017, 05:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, usage of core is different than corps.  As in:  The core of the team is comprised of some hardnosed veterans.  As opposed to:  The Wide receiving corps got a boost by drafting two speedy rookies.

Exactly. 

Man the season can't start soon enough.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote