Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrison, "They better be in a wheelchair"
(08-13-2017, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is what NFL legend and current Pittsburgh Steeler LB James Harrison had to say about players choosing to not stand for the National Anthem.

https://lockerdome.com/happygilmore/6170048381332289/10058545173577488

The replies should be interesting, as much of our P&R faithful happen to be Steeler fans.

I thought the Steelers response last year was perfect.  They stated they would all stand because not doing so would be disrespectful to Villenuava.  This right here is Harrison being Harrison.

I like the "NFL legend" part, Sunset.  Wink
(08-14-2017, 09:08 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You can be politically active and sill show some respect for the nation.  

Besides do we really need politics in every facet of our lives.  Don't we need water cooler talk that we can all talk about that doesn't have a political bent.    Making sports political just further tears away at society.

Like saying an employee can't act "too gay" or that if he "fairy's around" he'll be sent home?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-14-2017, 09:27 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Doesn't playing a national anthem inject politics into o sports anyway? Why is the NFL even playing the national anthem? This is a league that charges the military for military appreciation night.

No. The national anthem has zero to do with politics. It's merely national pride.

And if you do not want to go or watch the NFL then you can make that choice. Either way the rest of us shouldn't have to be burdened with your or anyone else's politics. We go to watch football that should be politically neutral.

By making everything political it just tears at the fabric of our country. Everyone needs a break.
(08-14-2017, 09:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Like saying an employee can't act "too gay" or that if he "fairy's around" he'll be sent home?

Yeah we all need sports to be a get away. Office decorum is office decorum.
(08-14-2017, 10:49 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No.   The national anthem has zero to do with politics.   It's merely national pride.    

And if you do not want to go or watch the NFL then you can make that choice.   Either way the rest of us shouldn't have to be burdened with your or anyone else's politics.   We go to watch football that should be politically neutral.

By making everything political it just tears at the fabric of our country.  Everyone needs a break.

Put does ignoring the anthem mean you have no national pride?

Maybe he says the pledge of allegiance?

Maybe he wears a flag pin?

One defiant act does not mean no pride at all.

In fact I have a little more respect for those who challenge rather than just blindly accept.
(08-14-2017, 10:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: Put does ignoring the anthem mean you have no national pride?

Maybe he says the pledge of allegiance?

Maybe he wears a flag pin?

One defiant act does not mean no pride at all.

In fact I have a little more respect for those who challenge rather than just blindly accept.

This is why the NFL lost viewership. They allowed it to get political and it turned people off in huge numbers. This is exactly why ESPN ratings have plummeted..... they got political and fired the chink in the armour guy, since the. It's been a mess.

I have zero respect for anyone who injects politics into sports.
(08-13-2017, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It should be interesting to observe how the NFL handles the protocol for their employees behavior, regarding the National Anthem, going forward.

As many celebrities have already found out, by losing lawsuits vs. paparazzi, once a citizen becomes a public figure, they tacitly give up their right to anonymity.  

I don't know what the nonexistent right to privacy against being photographed in public has to do with employee conduct policies, but if we're discussing NFL conduct policies, that's a totally different conversation in which I'd side against Kaepernick were the NFL to require standing. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-14-2017, 12:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is why the NFL lost viewership.   They allowed it to get political and it turned people off in huge numbers.  This is exactly why ESPN ratings have plummeted.....  they got political and fired the chink in the armour guy, since the. It's been a mess.  

I have zero respect for anyone who injects politics into sports.

Every time they wave the flag, salute the troops, play the anthem, have a candidate in the booth...that's politics.

Harrison's statement?  Injecting politics.

Lynch sitting and being asked about it?  politics.

That's just the NFL.

It's also not the reason why the NFL lost viewership because we still watch and we talk politics every day.

I really don't mind when individual athletes make a statement though.  I may not agree but it's no different than you or me making a statement...they just have a camera on them.
(08-14-2017, 10:49 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No.   The national anthem has zero to do with politics.   It's merely national pride.    

And if you do not want to go or watch the NFL then you can make that choice.   Either way the rest of us shouldn't have to be burdened with your or anyone else's politics.   We go to watch football that should be politically neutral.

By making everything political it just tears at the fabric of our country.  Everyone needs a break.

How are you burdened by Kaepernick kneeling?

(08-14-2017, 12:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: How are you burdened by Kaepernick kneeling?

Its taking a team sport and putting his own needs ahead of the team.

Besides don't you think it's a mess when your ravens have to dance around whether or not they are going to sign this guy as a backup? They have poll people before signing a player?

Has the ravens owner ever polled fans when signing a free agent?

They have to do this stuff now or face being called a racist by some media member, SJW, or BLM.

It's just dumb, unnecessary, and shouldn't be in sports. The NFL should not have even soft stepped this.... just fine people for not standing with the team..... they fine for everything else.
^^^^ and stuff like that is why Trump was elected.
(08-14-2017, 12:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Its taking a team sport and putting his own needs ahead of the team.    

Besides don't you think it's a mess when your ravens have to dance around whether or not they are going to sign this guy as a backup?  They have poll people before signing a player?  

They have to do this stuff now or face being called a racist by some media member, SJW, or BLM.    

It's just dumb, unnecessary, and shouldn't be in sports.    The NFL should not have even soft stepped this.... just fine people for not standing with the team..... they fine for everything else.

I asked how YOU were burdened. I didn't ask you to rant about other things. 

(08-14-2017, 12:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Its taking a team sport and putting his own needs ahead of the team.    

Besides don't you think it's a mess when your ravens have to dance around whether or not they are going to sign this guy as a backup?  They have poll people before signing a player?  

It's just dumb, unnecessary, and shouldn't be in sports.    The NFL should not have even soft stepped this.... just fine people for not standing with the team..... they fine for everything else.

It shouldn't be anywhere.  But it is because of America's history of racism in the workplace and other fights through the years.

But I do agree that people who are so sensitive that their white heritage is being questioned are the reason Trump got elected.   Ninja
(08-14-2017, 12:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I asked how YOU were burdened. I didn't ask you to rant about other things. 

Yes I shouldn't have to tune into sports and get social justice warriors preaching.
(08-14-2017, 12:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes I shouldn't have to tune into sports and get social justice warriors preaching.

So this being on screen for a few seconds places something oppressive on you? That seems quite fragile.

[Image: 1639261_630x354.jpg]

(08-14-2017, 12:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So this being on screen for a few seconds places something oppressive on you? That seems quite fragile.

[Image: 1639261_630x354.jpg]

It should not even be shown on tv.
(08-14-2017, 12:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes I shouldn't have to tune into sports and get social justice warriors preaching.

Wow.  That is a "snowflake" response!
(08-14-2017, 12:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It should not even be shown on tv.

What should be? Only things that one side agrees with?
(08-14-2017, 12:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It should not even be shown on tv.

Just because seeing that oppresses you (per your own admission) doesn't mean everyone else is having the same response.

(08-14-2017, 10:49 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No. The national anthem has zero to do with politics. It's merely national pride.

But, national pride is political. It's what was used to sell war bonds. It's what is used to get people to join the military. It is what conservatives use to attack liberal view points and vice versa.

What does the NFL have to do with national pride? What does national pride have to do with the NFL? Nothing.

Quote:And if you do not want to go or watch the NFL then you can make that choice. Either way the rest of us shouldn't have to be burdened with your or anyone else's politics. We go to watch football that should be politically neutral.

Athletes use their sport to raise awareness for issues all the time. The only difference between Colin and the NFL is he isn't profiting off of his action unlike the NFL raising awareness (read profiting) off of military appreciation nights or breast cancer awareness.

Additionally, he isn't stumping for a political party, a candidate, or your vote. This is a social issue which you don't like. Which is fine, but don't use the lazy "politics" excuse.

Quote:By making everything political it just tears at the fabric of our country. Everyone needs a break.

Oh, the irony. Maybe you can give us a break from making the standards of medical fitness for the military a political issue?