Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#HarrisonFamilyValues
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13447657/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-takes-away-kids-participation-trophies-says-awards-earned

James Harrison made some long post on facebook the other day talking about how he returned some trophies his sons got for participating in sports programs. He went on about nothing being handed to you and earning everything. What caught my eye was that he ended his post with "#HarrisonFamilyValues"

Funny, because I remember Harrison getting arresting for beating his girlfriend. #HarrisonFamilyValues

and I made sure to point that out with the hashtag on his facebook post.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 11:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13447657/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-takes-away-kids-participation-trophies-says-awards-earned

James Harrison made some long post on facebook the other day talking about how he returned some trophies his sons got for participating in sports programs. He went on about nothing being handed to you and earning everything. What caught my eye was that he ended his post with "#HarrisonFamilyValues"

Funny, because I remember Harrison getting arresting for beating his girlfriend. #HarrisonFamilyValues

I find it fascinating people like Harrison get so hurt by people being acknowledged for participating. Why is that such a big deal. Everyone knows who won the big game or whatever, what is wrong with applauding and or acknowledging all who made an effort. It seems like the gay marriage opposition thing to me. How does a gay couple down the street "hurt" another marriage? How does a kid being acknowledged for trying diminish the victory of another?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 11:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13447657/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-takes-away-kids-participation-trophies-says-awards-earned

The real question is why do you "like" James Harrison on Facebook? Ninja
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
James Harrison should get a participation trophy for his time in Cincinnati.  All he did was "participate". #1trickpony
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Role models lead by example. Harrison should have given back the money he made the last few years of his career.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:00 PM)Benton Wrote: Role models lead by example. Harrison should have given back the money he made the last few years of his career.

Bengal fans are always throwing stones at people on the street, from within their glass house.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
I have no problem with what he did, just not sure why he felt it necessary to tell the rest of the world.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:48 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: The real question is why do you "like" James Harrison on Facebook?  Ninja

Some sports news page I follow linked to it.

Reply/Quote
Is this better or worse gossip than when that Viking Tweeted about gay marriage? Good thing Pat is all over this story.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 04:37 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Is this better or worse gossip than when that Viking Tweeted about gay marriage? Good thing Pat is all over this story.

What's gossip about it?

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 05:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What's gossip about it?

You are talking about hashtags used in a Twitter post.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 07:47 PM)6andcounting Wrote: You are talking about hashtags used in a Twitter post.

Facebook post, but what's gossip about it? Im taking about something he did and the irony of someone arrested of domestic abuse talking about family values.

None of that qualifies as gossip.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:06 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Bengal fans are always throwing stones at people on the street, from within their glass house.

If it wasn't for our glass houses, you'd have no way to watch us have sex with your mom. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:35 AM)xxlt Wrote: I find it fascinating people like Harrison get so hurt by people being acknowledged for participating. Why is that such a big deal. Everyone knows who won the big game or whatever, what is wrong with applauding and or acknowledging all who made an effort. It seems like the gay marriage opposition thing to me. How does a gay couple down the street "hurt" another marriage? How does a kid being acknowledged for trying diminish the victory of another?
It doesn't hurt whoever won. What it does is teach complacency. If you get a trophy for just showing up why would you strive to be the best?

Reply/Quote
No one has mentioned that Charlie Batch was the one who gave the kids the trophies in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:00 PM)Bryan Wrote: It doesn't hurt whoever won. What it does is teach complacency. If you get a trophy for just showing up why would you strive to be the best?

Perhaps in your mind and Harrison's mind, if all you care about it is you got a trophy then you slack off. Not in mine and many others.

Maybe putting it in another context would help. If you cooked a meal and it was edible but not your best ever would you throw it out or eat it? I would eat it, but I would try to do better next time. It would seem by your and Harrison's logic that you would either throw out the meal or eat it and quit trying to cook better.

If your girl (or guy) gave you a hummer and you did not think it was the best one you had ever received would you still show some gratitude. It seems you and Harrison would not, because you would not want your lover to get complacent. I think a normally programmed person would show gratitude. Saying, "Thanks for the hummer," even though it wasn't the best one you ever got is equivalent to giving a participation trophy.

I am sorry that is anathema to you and Harrison but I am happy to recognize the efforts of all kids who play sports, all who try to feed me a decent meal, and all who try to gratify me physically. I will risk complacency in the name of decency.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 09:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If it wasn't for our glass houses, you'd have no way to watch us have sex with your mom. Mellow

#stepfather
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:08 AM)xxlt Wrote: Perhaps in your mind and Harrison's mind, if all you care about it is you got a trophy then you slack off. Not in mine and many others.

Maybe putting it in another context would help. If you cooked a meal and it was edible but not your best ever would you throw it out or eat it? I would eat it, but I would try to do better next time. It would seem by your and Harrison's logic that you would either throw out the meal or eat it and quit trying to cook better.

If your girl (or guy) gave you a hummer and you did not think it was the best one you had ever received would you still show some gratitude. It seems you and Harrison would not, because you would not want your lover to get complacent. I think a normally programmed person would show gratitude. Saying, "Thanks for the hummer," even though it wasn't the best one you ever got is equivalent to giving a participation trophy.

I am sorry that is anathema to you and Harrison but I am happy to recognize the efforts of all kids who play sports, all who try to feed me a decent meal, and all who try to gratify me physically. I will risk complacency in the name of decency.

Your analogies are far from analogous. We're talking about competition, not regular, day-to-day activities.

You ever watch American Idol back when the judges were Simon, Randy, and Paula? Ever notice that all the contestants were constantly seeking Simon's approval and not the other two? Know why? 'Cause Paula and Randy always said nice things to everyone. Simon only said nice things when they were deserved. It meant more to get nice words from Simon because he didn't give nice words to everyone.

With that said, I don't have a problem with participation trophies for younger children, but at a certain age, they become meaningless.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:50 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Your analogies are far from analogous. We're talking about competition, not regular, day-to-day activities.

You ever watch American Idol back when the judges were Simon, Randy, and Paula? Ever notice that all the contestants were constantly seeking Simon's approval and not the other two? Know why? 'Cause Paula and Randy always said nice things to everyone. Simon only said nice things when they were deserved. It meant more to get nice words from Simon because he didn't give nice words to everyone.

With that said, I don't have a problem with participation trophies for younger children, but at a certain age, they become meaningless.

I agree.....and the biggest thing I tend to observe with the generation of "everyone gets a trophy" is the inability to adjust to failure and a sense of entitlement. It has caused many of them as young adults difficulty in being able to adjust to stressful situations.
My case in point being the more recent younger Soldiers I've came across. There are a lot more that cannot adjust.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 10:50 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: I agree.....and the biggest thing I tend to observe with the generation of "everyone gets a trophy" is the inability to adjust to failure and a sense of entitlement. It has caused many of them as young adults difficulty in being able to adjust to stressful situations.
My case in point being the more recent younger Soldiers I've came across. There are a lot more that cannot adjust.

I had no idea the military gave out participation trophies.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote