Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hart signing does not bother me as long as it does not dictate Draft strategy
(03-13-2019, 05:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except that most of his incentives aren't based off of playing well, but just being around.

If he is ACTIVE (not even a starter) for 16 games and is terrible, he still hits a LOT of his incentives. If he is on the roster and is terrible, he still gets his bonuses.

His $7m isn't predicated on Pro Bowl, or All-Pro, or anything of that sort. Just being healthy and not being a healthy scratch on gameday.
No one else seems to know what his incentives are.  Can you post a link?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 05:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He was 69th out of 70-75, with only 64 possible original starters, and he's not atrocious?

In 2015 Dre Kirkpatrick was top 30 in almost every objective production stat but PFF had him ranked 112th in the league.

I am not going to argue that Hart is a great player, but some NFL coach thinks so, and that means more to me than a PFF ranking.  And it probably means a lot more about what he would have gotten in free agency.

I don't see how the same people who claim Mike Brown is cheap will argue that he pays players much more than they are worth for absolutely no reason at all.
Reply/Quote
No need to worry, we always draft BPA (unless we dont), just like we always sign our own free agents (unless we dont).

This team has no plan or strategy so how can any signing affect it?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 02:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Now imagine Hockenson and healthy Eifert on the field together.  It could happen albeit more likely Hockenson and Uzi.  Remember how Reggie Smith helped the O-Line?  The Bengals need a new TE that can block.  

Drafting a TE at 11 would have been a luxury we had if we took care of at least LB during FA. Now if we don't go OT we HAVE to go LB. We've left our self no wiggle room.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
the deal looks easy to move on from next year.. So I'm guessing we will draft an OT this year in the first 2 days. and one later as we need backup OTs too. As neither glenn or Hart will probly be long term solutions. Then draft another OT next year.

But hart signing gives us a little ability not to reach to far. And like most years when OTs get drafted high Vets get released and become available. So we got that too.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: Drafting a TE at 11 would have been a luxury we had if we took care of at least LB during FA. Now if we don't go OT we HAVE to go LB. We've left our self no wiggle room.

FREE AGENCY just started.... its not over in 1 day.. (heck that 1 day aint over yet either)
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: Drafting a TE at 11 would have been a luxury we had if we took care of at least LB during FA. Now if we don't go OT we HAVE to go LB. We've left our self no wiggle room.

They could still go backer at 11 but with P. Brown signed, he will be the MIKE.  Maybe White could play WIL.  but It means they will go best available OT or Hockensen.  Uzi is not enough and Eifert has not played 16 games full season yet and probably is too expensive.

And then there is the CB.  Without Dennard, it means that CB is now an issue.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 05:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one else seems to know what his incentives are.  Can you post a link?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/bobby-hart-16952/

$3m signing bonus
$500k workout bonus each year
$31,250 for each game he's active (not starting, just active) each year (max of $500k/yr)
$2.5m roster bonus due 3/20/19
$1.5m roster bonus due 3rd league day of 2020

If Hart is active all 16 games of 2019, and is terrible and they cut him the day their season ends, he'll still walk away with $7.9m for 1 year.
Worse than the $7.9m is minimum 1 more torpedo'd year for the Bengals and Dalton/Green/Atkins/Dunlap/etc.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If Hart is active all 16 games of 2019, and is terrible and they cut him the day their season ends, he'll still walk away with $7.9m for 1 year.

Actually he would only get $7.4 million instead of $7.9, but that is not what I was talking about.

I was talking about the incentives that push the total contract value from $16.15 up to a possible $21 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually he would only get $7.4 million instead of $7.9, but that is not what I was talking about.

I was talking about the incentives that push the total contract value from $16.15 up to a possible $21 million.

No, it is $7.9m.

$5.4m cap hit in 2019 + the other $2m of his signing bonus + $500k of incentives for being active for 16 games in 2019 = $7.9m

- - - - - - - -

Yeah, we don't know all of them, but there is $6.65m in base salary, $3m in signing bonus, $5m in roster bonuses, $1.5m in workout bonuses, $1.5m in game activity bonuses.

That's $17.65m accounted for at least. Not sure what the other $3.35m in incentives are.

It's still nearly $18m just based off him being around, not him being good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 07:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No, it is $7.9m.

$5.4m cap hit in 2019 + the other $2m of his signing bonus + $500k of incentives for being active for 16 games in 2019 = $7.9m

- - - - - - - -

Yeah, we don't know all of them, but there is $6.65m in base salary, $3m in signing bonus, $5m in roster bonuses, $1.5m in workout bonuses, $1.5m in game activity bonuses.

That's $17.65m accounted for at least. Not sure what the other $3.35m in incentives are.

It's still nearly $18m just based off him being around, not him being good.

When you sign a free agent and people the same exact day are figuring out the ramifications of getting out of the contract...its a bad sign.

It's like buying a house and calling the insurance company to figure out when you can burn it down.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 02:19 PM)lone bengal Wrote: My concern is that the Hart deal will make them neglect the Tackle position till later on which I think is a mistake.  You can have all the skill guys Green, Boyd, Mixon, Ross and draft a stud TE at 11 and it all dosen't matter if you can't win the line of scrimmage.

My understanding from NFL Radio is that this is a deep draft on both sides of the line.  It seems to me the Hart signing means we have the luxury of targeting one of those top linebackers if available and then grabbing a tackle in the second.  So I'm good with it in that regard.
Reply/Quote