Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvey and Hamilton Irrevokable Waivers
I don't mind losing Harvey because I doubt he gets signed next year. However, I sure hope the Reds are able to keep Billy. We will hear the news soon. Baseball has some of the strangest rules regarding retention of players.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Well, they're revocable waivers, so now the three options (one of which must be chosen by the Reds within 48 hours, which is like 8 hours from now) are 1. give the player (and their salary) to the claiming team 2. Trade the player to the claiming team or 3. remove the player from waivers and maintain their contract and salary.

Harvey I could actually see them just giving him away. While it will only save them around a million dollars at this point, it doesn't actually hurt anything and plus opens up space for the young starters to...hopefully?...improve?...At least a little bit?... He is gone at the end of the season anyway, so this is their last chance to get anything for him. So maybe the Reds keep him just out of spite, but I could see it going either way.

Hamilton will require a trade though. He is still their starting CF and he has another year of control left. I don't think they'd just give him away. But, at the same time, it wouldn't really take all that much to get him either. We'll just have to wait and see.

In my opinion, I hope Harvey is off the roster tomorrow, whether it be for something or not. This charade has gone on long enough.

As for Hamilton, if they can get a modest return, that'd be great. If he stays on the team, then that's okay too.
Reply/Quote
Reds keep both of them because Bob Castellini likes them.

So now the Reds get 5 pointless weeks of Harvey (a below-average starter) on their 91 loss team before he his FA..... and they get to keep Hamilton, the 4th worst offensive player in all of baseball.

.....Huzzah.....

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like the Reds are going to attempt to sign Harvey. I think he is better than Bailey, and I hope he gives a team friendly deal. I wonder if they plan on extending Gennett to a long term deal.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I guess the Reds decided to keep these guys. Oh well, I'm more interested in the new manager they sign.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2018, 09:32 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I guess the Reds decided to keep these guys. Oh well, I'm more interested in the new manager they sign.

[Image: Riggleman-Head-Shot.jpg]

Look forward to enjoying the gem of absolutely nothing changing after another 90+ loss season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2018, 02:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: Riggleman-Head-Shot.jpg]

Look forward to enjoying the gem of absolutely nothing changing after another 90+ loss season.

Yep, same as it ever was.

After 131 games this year, the Reds have a 56-75 record. 

At this point last year: 55-76. 
In 2016: 55-76.

At least they're moving the needle!  Ninja  
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2018, 03:12 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Sounds like the Reds are going to attempt to sign Harvey.  I think he is better than Bailey, and I hope he gives a team friendly deal.  I wonder if they plan on extending Gennett to a long term deal.

It wouldn't make much sense to not deal him if they didn't plan on re-signing him...even tho I think it's dumb to sign him. But they will because the owner has "feelings" for him  Sick

Love Scooter, but he needs to be shopped as well. He simply will not maintain that level of production he had for a few months. His defense is bad, bum shoulder...there's red flags everywhere and they don't need to take those risks
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 09:07 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Love Scooter, but he needs to be shopped as well. He simply will not maintain that level of production he had for a few months.

Scooter is not going to hit .400 like he did in May, but he is not Zach Cozart either.  Scooters numbers are pretty close to what they were last year.

……...avg....on base....slug....OPS
'17   .295     .342     .531      .874
'18   .320     .368     .503      .871
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2018, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Scooter is not going to hit .400 like he did in May, but he is not Zach Cozart either.  Scooters numbers are pretty close to what they were last year.

……...avg....on base....slug....OPS
'17   .295     .342     .531      .874
'18   .320     .368     .503      .871

Yes, but where does he fit with the core? In the AL, it would make more sense. I see Senzel as a better replacement, especially seeing his (Scooter) defensive liabilities.
Reply/Quote