Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Defense died?
(09-17-2018, 04:24 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Tell that  to Tyrod Taylor he took a hard helmet to helmet hit and the refs didn't flag it and tv broadcasters didn't say a word about it.

I think the problem here was he was running in a good amount of traffic. The camera angle on it was great but if you see a top view of the play the ref angle on it wasn't as great due to it being in such a crowded space. Definitely was a penalty but not sure anyone saw it other than the camera in the right place at the right time.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 04:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the problem here was he was running in a good amount of traffic. The camera angle on it was great but if you see a top view of the play the ref angle on it wasn't as great due to it being in such a crowded space. Definitely was a penalty but not sure anyone saw it other than the camera in the right place at the right time.
If I seen it the broadcasters should of been told about it by one of the hundreds of people working there just to draw attention to it. If they really want to protect every QB.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 01:25 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Not to mention the rules about protecting QBs.  Why not just come up with some technology to put them in a 'force field'?

It is frustrating, especially the hits called on Dunlap and Clay Matthews. Some don't pass the eye test. I hope they leave those calls up to a centralized office in NY or something that would save those off.

But looking at what provoked the rule, the Packers were downright unwatchable without Rodgers. So I get why the NFL may have overcorrected. Hopefully they can work out some details and find a middle ground.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 04:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Tell that to Cleveland.  Smirk

(09-17-2018, 04:19 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: You are not watching the same games we are, xD.  Yawn

It was one week Kicking is a lot better than 20 years ago.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Any discussion of greatest QB- or WR for that matter- of all time needs to take this phenomenon into account.  As Fred mentioned earlier, this has been a gradual but steady trend, and it's only going to get more inflated unless some unforeseen force compels the powers that be to return the game to a greater semblance of its former self.  A lot of today's QBs may not have been able to compile their stats back in the day simply because they may not have been physically able to step on the field in the first place.  Conversely, many of the QBs in the past may have been able to flourish in today's game because of the protections afforded today.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 07:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Right now, Jacksonville looks to be the best defense in the NFL and the second place team isn't very close...

They have Pro Bowl talent on all three levels and play an aggressive scheme.  I have no idea their contract situation with the majority of these players, but they won't be able to keep them all for long.

Meh, I'll take the Rams
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 07:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Meh, I'll take the Rams

Really? I mean the Rams are loaded too, but Jacksonville was historic last year, and lost nobody.

It’ll be interesting to see how they compare towards the end of the year.
Reply/Quote

(09-17-2018, 08:35 PM)thillan Wrote: Really? I mean the Rams are loaded too, but Jacksonville was historic last year, and lost nobody.

It’ll be interesting to see how they compare towards the end of the year.

Super Bowl will settle that.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 07:29 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Any discussion of greatest QB- or WR for that matter- of all time needs to take this phenomenon into account.  As Fred mentioned earlier, this has been a gradual but steady trend, and it's only going to get more inflated unless some unforeseen force compels the powers that be to return the game to a greater semblance of its former self.  A lot of today's QBs may not have been able to compile their stats back in the day simply because they may not have been physically able to step on the field in the first place.  Conversely, many of the QBs in the past may have been able to flourish in today's game because of the protections afforded today.

It has to be sickening to be a QB from the 70's-80's watching these guys light it up breaking records not to mention the pay these guys are getting. Hell even WR's back in the day had to fight like hell down the field to catch a ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 09:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Passing offense grew dramatically every year from '05 to '15, but actually dropped a little each of the last two years.  So I say we wait a few weeks to see how things shake out.  I seriously doubt that Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to throw for 6000+ yds and 60+ tds.

The QB is so important I have no problem with rules to protect them.  Nothing uglier than an NFL game with a couple of back up QBs.  The problem is that the officials go too far at times.  The call against Clay Matthews was ridiculous and that pretty much cost them the game.  But that has been happening for years.  Anyone remember that call against Justin Smith that cost us a game against Tampa Bay?

I don't think the quality of play has dropped at all.  The NBA and MLB experience the exact same thing.  Scoring goes up and down due to multiple trends, not just rule changes.

I remember that game. That was a horrible call, ass our D and the refs let I believe Gradkowski light us up. Is that correct Fred
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 04:24 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Tell that  to Tyrod Taylor he took a hard helmet to helmet hit and the refs didn't flag it and tv broadcasters didn't say a word about it. I seen Andy get hit in head with hands three times in one game no flag. It depends on who you play for.

I'm with you all the way on this, but there are some still living in a dream world that we are conspiracy theorists and life is all about 'fair play'!  Wink Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 01:59 AM)TKUHL Wrote: This has been a strange season already only 2 weeks in. Teams that should be winning, and are known for their D are losing, records are being broken on the offensive side of the ball. Young QB's and backups are throwing for insane yards and TD's. How much of this is a result of the rule changes and over officiating? There have been some horrible roughing the passer calls and PI calls keeping drives alive. Will we see a decline of talent over the years due to kids not wanting to play D anymore. It's obvious the league wants more scoring but it's too obvious. I have no idea what a defensive player is supposed to do anymore. Just curious what everyone thinks about this.

Are some of the surprise teams (including us) anygood or have we just benifited from poor/Over officiating?

Will we see a decline in talented D players in the league over the next several years?

We are entering into another new era where offenses are enhanced by rule changes. It's been happening for decades. What use to be MVP QB years are now just average or below.

Reply/Quote

Haha....Go ahead.  I will take the team that held the Giants to 10 points at home and shut down Brady and Co to the point that they are bringing in a rejected WR from the Browns.  

Looks a bit more impressive than the Raiders and Cards.  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 11:08 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Super Bowl will settle that.

Good call as usual, those are the two teams i see as the best right now.

We need to get our 3rd down Defense up to par yet to battle Jacksonville. The good thing is we are still only going
to get better as our players gel. We are a different team than last year when we played the Jags. AJ will want to
punch ole Ramsey in the face in a different way lol
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 12:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good call as usual, those are the two teams i see as the best right now.

We need to get our 3rd down Defense up to par yet to battle Jacksonville. The good thing is we are still only going
to get better as our players gel. We are a different team than last year when we played the Jags. AJ will want to
punch ole Ramsey in the face in a different way lol

Agreed. We are close.

We are 2 pieces away from really contending, and a window of 3 years.

Pitt and NE are aging, Jags will cap implode.

Bengals, Colts, KC and Chargers are the future of AFC. Bengals have the more complete Team.
Reply/Quote
Imagine what dan Marino would do to today’s defense. 60+ tds and 6500 yards. Ok that might be exaggerating but it be awseome.
Reply/Quote
Defense isn’t dead, it’s just crazy difficult now. It’s becoming more about finesse than physicality.
To be an elite defender, you now have to be able to run stride for stride in coverage and be twitchy enough to avoid split-second illegal contact when offensive players make unexpected moves.
We’re going to continue seeing defensive issues until defenders adjust or are replaced with more athletic, twitchy ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 11:08 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Super Bowl will settle that.

That's what I'm seeing at this point
Reply/Quote
NFL wants more offense no secret that’s their goal. They don’t want any 3 to 10 scores
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 02:14 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Agreed. We are close.

We are 2 pieces away from really contending, and a window of 3 years.

Pitt and NE are aging, Jags will cap implode.

Bengals, Colts, KC and Chargers are the future of AFC. Bengals have the more complete Team.

Sure looking that way. Rock On
Reply/Quote