Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Has any interim HC experienced long term success?
Just like the title says.

The guy in Miami has done a good job for a coupla weeks and I know others have had short term success, but has any interim HC ever had long term success?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Bruce Arians had success filling in when Pagano had cancer. Then again, the Colts are pretty much "successful" during the Luck era due to playing in the worst division there is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Depends on how you define "long term success". I can't recall any winning superbowls.

If I remember correct, the HC for the 4 consecutive SB appearances for the Bills was hired from outside the organization mid season in the 80's but I don't know if he was just named interim or hired with intent to stay.

Dan Fouts ran an offense under "Air" Corriell (sp?) who started as an interim. This may have been an outside hire also but if I remember correct he was just mean to be a stop gap but got the full time job.

I know Shottenheimer started his headcoaching career as in mid-season with the Browns.

Art Shell didn't have a long career as a headcoach but he made the playoffs with the Raiders the same year as becoming an interim and a few seasons aftewards.

I'm guessing more notable coaches started off as interims but those are just from memory.
Reply/Quote
Jason Garrett.... still has the job if you consider that success?
Reply/Quote
Homer Rice  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 10:53 PM)Penn Wrote: Depends on how you define "long term success".  I can't recall any winning superbowls.

If I remember correct, the HC for the 4 consecutive SB appearances for the Bills was hired from outside the organization mid season in the 80's but I don't know if he was just named interim or hired with intent to stay.

Dan Fouts ran an offense under "Air" Corriell (sp?) who started as an interim.  This may have been an outside hire also but if I remember correct he was just mean to be a stop gap but got the full time job.

I know Shottenheimer started his headcoaching career as in mid-season with the Browns.

Art Shell didn't have a long career as a headcoach but he made the playoffs with the Raiders the same year as becoming an interim and a few seasons aftewards.

I'm guessing more notable coaches started off as interims but those are just from memory.

Excellent info. Thanks. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote