Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has pitching improved for the Reds?
Bailey is done as a starter ! He might be ok as a short middle reliever ? But that's about it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 11:41 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bailey is done as a starter ! He might be ok as a short middle reliever ? But that's about it.

Except he throws a tantrum and pretends to be hurt when they try to move him to the bullpen. I say cut him and eat the money. At this point he’s just preventing a younger pitcher from getting some good experience.

Bailey: 1-11 6.21 ERA
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 11:44 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Except he throws a tantrum and pretends to be hurt when they try to move him to the bullpen. I say cut him and eat the money. At this point he’s just preventing a younger pitcher from getting some good experience.

Bailey: 1-11 6.21 ERA

Exactly !

At some point, hopefully sooner rather than later they're going to have to accept the fact that Homer ain't coming back and do whatever they have to do to move on.

Cut him, trade him, fire him, say you're going to the bullpen and that's final or whatever they have to do.
Reply/Quote
Thing about the young Reds starters is that they all have an ability to look very good which is matched only by their ability to look very bad. It's the damnedest thing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think Disco could be a number 2 in rotation but he never seems healthy. I think Mahle and Harvey could be 3-4 in rotation. Castillo has the potential to be the Red's best pitcher, I do not know how they changed his mechanics this year but it isn't working. The Red's simply do not have a number 1 pitcher in their system at this point. I know many think Green will be. I am not too sure. He has two pitches and will need at least 3 more years.

The good news is the Red's can hit. If they can keep Gennett and move Senzel to second base. I like Winker. Schebler is good rotational player but has his shares of injuries. Ervin has been doing well. Then there is the Hamilton dilemma. Gold Glove Center fielder who hits in the lower tier. Trammel can hit the ball and plays well on defense. I was hoping they would have traded Hamilton for a prospect pitcher.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Just saw a fun stat on Bailey. First pitcher since 1899 to have their team go 1-17 in their starts, to start a season.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 09:54 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just saw a fun stat on Bailey. First pitcher since 1899 to have their team go 1-17 in their starts, to start a season.

They have to release Bailey before the season is over, get it over with.
Reply/Quote
There's no way IMHO they can bring Bailey back as a starting pitcher next season, the fan base would mutiny. Bailey has already made it clear he's not going to the bullpen. Nobody is gonna take him in a trade even if we offer to pay the majority of his contract.

What other choice do they have but to release him ? And why not now ?

All he's doing at this point is taking innings away from the young pitchers and they need to figure out who's gonna be part of the staff next year.

If they're gonna keep Votto, Suarez, Gennett, and co. together to try and be competitive instead of another year of prospects they have to get a real starting pitching rotation going and Bailey isn't part of the solution there.

Bite the bullet and get it over with Reds.
Reply/Quote
The Reds say they are going to increase payroll..does that mean extending Harvey
and or Inglesias or that they do both and add a free agent starter ?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2018, 09:15 PM)JLeClair55 Wrote: The Reds say they are going to increase payroll..does that mean extending Harvey
and or Inglesias or that they do both and add a free agent starter ?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I think the Reds should sign Harvey and extend Inglesias. Both deserve to be on the team unlike Homer.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2018, 09:21 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think the Reds should sign Harvey and extend Inglesias. Both deserve to be on the team unlike Homer.

Why?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2018, 09:21 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think the Reds should sign Harvey and extend Inglesias. Both deserve to be on the team unlike Homer.

If they bring Bailey back as a Starter next season....... oh my.

The others are a giant question mark ? I still have hope that Disco could be a #3 beyond that I just don't know ?

I could see bringing Castillo back he's shown promise at times. I could see signing Harvey as a #4 or 5 starter if he'll sign for that level money.

But Mahle and Romano ???? Bull pen perhaps ? But the fact remains if the Reds hope to contend next season they need to find a #1 and 2
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:45 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Why?

I like Harvey. He's not as good as he used to be, but gives a decent performance as someone stated a 4 or 5 starter.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:59 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I like Harvey. He's not as good as he used to be, but gives a decent performance as someone stated a 4 or 5 starter.

I don't see why we should throw 3 or 4 years at 35 million or so at a pitcher that's had TJ. You'd think they have learned their lesson with Homer, but I digress.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 01:05 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: We know the ugly start of the season this year. Pitching was horrible. Now, we are coming towards the final stretch and IMO the pitching is still horrible. We've had a few games that looked promising. However, the pitchers have fallen back into their losing ways of late. If the Reds want to contend in 2019, they better shore up the pitching. I keep thinking they are trying to throw as hard as they can instead of using better control at slower speeds. Bronson Arroyo had some good stuff and never was considered a hard thrower. Why can't the pitching coach see it too?

Who are these "reds" you speak of?
Reply/Quote
Among 15 NL teams Reds pitchers rank

15th in opponents batting average
15th in opponents on base percentage
15th in opponents slugging percentage
15th in WHIP (Walks and Hits per Inning Pitched)
15th in quality starts
15th in home runs allowed (by a mind numbing 32 over the second worst team)
14th in ERA
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Among 15 NL teams Reds pitchers rank

15th in opponents batting average
15th in opponents on base percentage
15th in opponents slugging percentage
15th in WHIP (Walks and Hits per Inning Pitched)
15th in quality starts
15th in home runs allowed (by a mind numbing 32 over the second worst team)
14th in ERA

Yep, add shitty defense to that, you get three straight years of 90+ losses. Votto was a space cadet on a simple ground out. Just soooo simple plays these guys take off. It's absurd. 
Reply/Quote
I saw Bailey in the dugout last night. With his uniform on. What is going on? I thought he was done for the year. And his career.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 11:15 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I saw Bailey in the dugout last night. With his uniform on. What is going on? I thought he was done for the year. And his career.

I suppose in some capacity he's still on the team ? He refuses to pitch out of the pen and they finally stopped his starts (should have done that a month ago) so.........

There's no way they can bring him back next season ! What they'll end up doing ?
Reply/Quote