Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haskins declares for draft
https://nypost.com/2019/01/07/giants-qb-decision-just-got-juicier-with-dwayne-haskins-entering-draft/

Anxious to see what he does as a pro
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There doesn't seem to be a consensus opinion about him.

The Parcells rules for drafting a QB:

He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as "the guy" for some period of time.
He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

Haskins hits exactly none of them. Granted, the game has changed, but still...

Somebody will be going on a pretty limited sample size.

He throws a nice ball. Beyond that, haven't watched him enough to have an opinion.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 07:17 PM)McC Wrote: There doesn't seem to be a consensus opinion about him.

The Parcells rules for drafting a QB:

He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
       He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
       He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as "the guy" for some period of time.
       He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

Haskins hits exactly none of them.  Granted, the game has changed, but still...

Somebody will be going on a pretty limited sample size.

He throws a nice ball.  Beyond that, haven't watched him enough to have an opinion.

I watched the bulk of every game but one and I must say he's just different than the past 10 or so Ohio St. QB's. Different being way more a pro style QB. 

Having said that he needed another year. He gets rattled a bit to much by the rush, he gets hesitant at times, and he's unsure when to run and lacks confidence while running. I'm in no way saying he's a running QB, just that his decision making isn't the best. He should have stayed.
Reply/Quote
No surprise to me, on Haskins declaring. Personally, I thought he could have used another year to become fully polished. I think many of these College players underestimate the transition to the Pros. With that said, if the right team selects him, and allows him a year or so to be a backup, he might be a fine NFL QB. He still struggles to read defenses, gets hesitant on weather to tuck and run, and definitely needs to learn how to not show his nervousness when things break down.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 09:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No surprise to me, on Haskins declaring.  Personally, I thought he could have used another year to become fully polished.  I think many of these College players underestimate the transition to the Pros.  With that said, if the right team selects him, and allows him a year or so to be a backup, he might be a fine NFL QB.  He still struggles to read defenses, gets hesitant on weather to tuck and run, and definitely needs to learn how to not show his nervousness when things break down.

If he goes to the Giants, he will be in a good situation. He'll back-up Eli next season.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 01:08 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If he goes to the Giants, he will be in a good situation. He'll back-up Eli next season.

I'd say that's where he's headed. I really think he'll develop into a fine NFL QB.
Reply/Quote