Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haslett
Enjoyed this article by Hobbs on the new LB coach....

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Haslett-brings-Old-School-degree-and-New-Age-view-to-Bengals/3309fcbb-814e-4e3d-b2de-799d51dc40ab
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2016, 08:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Enjoyed this article by Hobbs on the new LB coach....

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Haslett-brings-Old-School-degree-and-New-Age-view-to-Bengals/3309fcbb-814e-4e3d-b2de-799d51dc40ab

This can only be good for the LB squad.  
Reply/Quote
nice read... sounds like a positive beginning with coach and players
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice article, i like the old school approach and yet also helping Burfict tone it down a bit.

I forgot Haslett kicked Bradshaw in the head when they played. Hilarious

Different times, just like Smerlas said, back in the day Burfict would have been celebrated for what he done in the Playoff
game. But lots of factors make that play on Brown unacceptable and Burfict knows it. Like i said in another thread, don't
lose that Steeler hate though Taze. It be healthy.
Reply/Quote
This is why I love Hobson.  I mean he is what he is: a Bengal employee and he's going to slant it his employer's way and do one too many personal interest stories.  But he does his homework and exposes a portion of what is going on behind the scenes that opens it up for us to see.

I didn't really know what to make of Haslet after the things quoted by London Fletcher - who I've always admired from afar.  But this article really has me psyched.  What better kind of guy to coach our throwback guys and maybe hone a sharper edge on Vigil?

I know it's a fluff piece.  But there's enough substance that it's got me wound up.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like he's got a sense of humor as well....
"hey, is Coach Haslett still on this message?"
Haslett... "No".....LMAO.

Now not only will Shittsburgh hate our linebackers, they will hate our LB coach. Lovin it!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2016, 12:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice article, i like the old school approach and yet also helping Burfict tone it down a bit.

I forgot Haslett kicked Bradshaw in the head when they played. Hilarious

Different times, just like Smerlas said, back in the day Burfict would have been celebrated for what he done in the Playoff
game. But lots of factors make that play on Brown unacceptable and Burfict knows it. Like i said in another thread, don't
lose that Steeler hate though Taze. It be healthy.

1/2 second earlier to the ball and it would have been a great defensive play.
Reply/Quote
Haslett is, by far, my favorite coaching hire this offseason. He can offer a lot of advice to Guenther, if he asks, but the guy has so much experience with the LB position. I look forward to seeing what he can offer up our LBs.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2016, 03:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 1/2 second earlier to the ball and it would have been a great defensive play.

Yeah, things happen so fast especially in a Playoff game. Burfict did put his shoulder out there a bit but still.

Pretty damn close to a bang bang play no question.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2016, 03:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 1/2 second earlier to the ball and it would have been a great defensive play.

He still would have been called.   Once you have a rep the refs stick it to you.  And he has earned his rep, and my guess is that he is a pain in the neck to the refs on the field.

Doesn't make it right though.  Just as James Harrison, who alone did not criticize Tez, found out.

Harrison is a player I respect - and maybe Ben.  The rest of that team can go skinny dip in a lake full of sea crocs.   I used to respect that team (even with their dirty hits) but don't any longer because they are all whining like a bunch of school girls.
Reply/Quote
I think this hire got lost a little bit with all the coaches leaving.

Haslett is one of the best in business at coaching defense. It was interesting to see his quote regarding taking a DC position somewhere else vs. coaching linebackers.

"“I just didn’t think they had the players,” Haslett says of the coordinator job he mulled. “I’ve done that too many times. The last two times I gambled in Washington and it didn’t work out and I gambled in St. Louis and it didn’t work out.”

Speaks volumes about what really helps a good coach succeed.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2016, 11:30 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think this hire got lost a little bit with all the coaches leaving.

Haslett is one of the best in business at coaching defense.  It was interesting to see his quote regarding taking a DC position somewhere else vs. coaching linebackers.

"“I just didn’t think they had the players,” Haslett says of the coordinator job he mulled. “I’ve done that too many times. The last two times I gambled in Washington and it didn’t work out and I gambled in St. Louis and it didn’t work out.”

Speaks volumes about what really helps a good coach succeed.

Well if he wins a Super Bowl coaching the LBers in Cincy, he could jump right back up into a head coaching job and totally skip having a DC job.
Reply/Quote
I like the hire for now, but going to reserve the reverence for the real season and see how the LBs turn out.. I have a hunch it's a great move, but for now it's just on paper. Everyone looks great (or terrible) on paper before the season starts .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What I was most excited about reading, was that he chose the Bengals, when he had other options. His quote about taking gambles in St. Louis and Washington, when as he said "they didn't have the players", came back to burn him. Tells me, that he likes the talent he has to work with, with the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think he will have a bigger effect in the film room and working on defensive schemes than just coaching the LBs. It never hurts to have another experienced DC on staff.
Reply/Quote
Still not sold on Haslett, and the LB's need a Coach not a friend. Probably why his top two lb's are grossly overweight.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
This hire was slammed in the off season, looks like a lot of people are changing their minds.

Hope it works out for all involved and he can truly tame Burfict and teach the other guys. Also think having a veteran like Dansby in the mix will help the group as a whole.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 09:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Still not sold on Haslett, and the LB's need a Coach not a friend. Probably why his top two lb's are grossly overweight.

There are limits on how much contact coaches and players can have during the offseason. Also, on the latest BBP, Jim and Dehner mentioned that Rey's weight has pretty much fluctuated up and down since he got here.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 09:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Still not sold on Haslett, and the LB's need a Coach not a friend. Probably why his top two lb's are grossly overweight.

Who said Haslett was a friend instead of a coach?

And how could you blame haslett for Burfict and Maualuga being overweight when he was not even having any contact with them?

I is amazing thr lenghts some people will go to complain and be negative.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who said Haslett was a friend instead of a coach?

And how could you blame haslett for Burfict and Maualuga being overweight when he was not even having any contact with them?

I is amazing thr lenghts some people will go to complain and be negative.

I agree with you here Fred.

BS post by JJ22. If anything having a good relationship with your players is a good thing, not a bad one.

It is not up to Haslett to keep track of the LB'ers weight in the Offseason, that is up to the players.

Hold them accountable. Plus the grossly overweight saying is grossly exaggerated from everything i have heard.
Reply/Quote