Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have Bengals Ever Not Won A Division Game ???
I think one year we went 6-0 and missed the playoffs. If that’s correct I’m guessing ‘89.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 09:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think one year we went 6-0 and missed the playoffs. If that’s correct I’m guessing ‘89.

It was close, 5-1 in division that year. They lost to Houston in the dome on MNF.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 08:07 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Not sure what happen this season to give you such high hopes. We can’t beat the Browns with a healthy Burrow, and still can’t beat their 4th string QB. The way I’m looking at it, if we can’t get one lousy win in our division, we definitely don’t belong in the play offs.

Well, that says it all.  Teams that can't win a division game have no business in the play-offs.  

So Ok, now I know.  Bengals lost all division games in 1993 and 2002, two of the worst NFL teams to ever take the field.  I don't think 2023 Bengals are as bad as them, just that Burrow and Higgins injured most of the season hurt.  I give Bengals credit for winning 3 games with Browning.  However Steelers threw a zone defense that Browning never saw in college. It was almost the 1970's Steelers umbrella zone defense.  Stuff the run, sack the QB, umbrella zone coverage of Steel Curtain 1970's Steeler dynasty years. Browning was completely confused by it. However had Chase played, and got in single coverage in that zone defense, Chase would have had a big day....I can sum up 2023 very easy. Burrow, Higgins and Chase injured too much. When this team was healthy they beat 49ers and Bllls and looked like The Super Bowl Bengals....This was not the awful 1993 or 2002 Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 09:30 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Actually, if Cleveland wins tonight and then Miami beats Baltimore on Sunday, Cleveland could then win the division if they can beat us and the Steelers can beat the Ravens (they split with the Ravens but would have a 4-2 division record versus Baltimore's 3-3).  Granted, that's a lot of ifs and relies on Baltimore dropping their last two games, but I'm sure they'll schedule our game and their game at the same time so the Browns will have to go pedal-to-the-metal against us.  But, if (when) Cleveland wins tonight we have to hope for a Baltimore win on Sunday for the Browns to have zero incentive come week 18.

Frankly I want CLE at full force. CLE at half force are going to knock us out of the playoffs at full force if we made it after that anyway. Kinda feels weird making the playoffs by winning against a team that's resting lol, that is taking a lot for granted though against a #1 D whose backups would probably play better than our starters.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2023, 10:22 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Frankly I want CLE at full force. CLE at half force are going to knock us out of the playoffs at full force if we made it after that anyway. Kinda feels weird making the playoffs by winning against a team that's resting lol, that is taking a lot for granted though against a #1 D whose backups would probably play better than our starters.

Meh, ask the 2009 Jets how "weird" it was to play a team that was resting for the playoffs.  It didn't affect them that night and it sure didn't affect them one bit the following week.  

Anything can happen once you get in, so I just want in and I don't care how we get in there.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 03:01 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Yeah, my guy Klingler didn't get a fair shake.

He didn't, but I also believed then and now, he wasn't a first round QB. He played zero competition in college. I think on a better team, he could've been at least a decent QB though.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2023, 12:22 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Meh, ask the 2009 Jets how "weird" it was to play a team that was resting for the playoffs.  It didn't affect them that night and it sure didn't affect them one bit the following week.  

Anything can happen once you get in, so I just want in and I don't care how we get in there.  

Ugh ....I froze my ass off to watch that one. My first playoff game was a huge letdown.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2023, 01:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ugh ....I froze my ass off to watch that one. My first playoff game was a huge letdown.

Yep, I and a buddy were going to utilize my upper deck tickets but he canceled at the last minute, so I asked the wife if she wanted to tag along and she agreed.  I told her after the 2005 playoff game debacle we were due.  Little did I know we'd soon be freezing and stranded on Revis Island   Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2023, 01:55 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yep, I and a buddy were going to utilize my upper deck tickets but he canceled at the last minute, so I asked the wife if she wanted to tag along and she agreed.  I told her after the 2005 playoff game debacle we were due.  Little did I know we'd soon be freezing and stranded on Revis Island   Sad

Still blows my mind every time I remember that Mark Sanchez QB'd teams went to 2 straight AFC Championship games, his first two years in the NFL no less.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 08:07 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Not sure what happen this season to give you such high hopes. We can’t beat the Browns with a healthy Burrow, and still can’t beat their 4th string QB. The way I’m looking at it, if we can’t get one lousy win in our division, we definitely don’t belong in the play offs.

Negative people always look at the losses and not the wins. The Colts game for example always gets left out conveniently with the
negative fans. We dominated that game, this team always wins when everyone thinks we are going to lose. Just the way it goes.

If we get into the Playoffs without Joe Burrow we definitely belong with all that has went wrong this season. 
Reply/Quote