Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Have We Yet to See the Bengals at Their Best?
I know this is probably a rhetorical question  but I think it's worth a dicusssion.  Think of the type of performances you expected from this team after the free agent signings --- an offense that is unstoppable and a defense that is tough , resilient, and lockdown-capable in the second half of games.  Coming off a Superbowl performance , this  team got better in the offseason and , with an "expect to win" mindset, were primed for another deep postseason run.  After a slow start to the season and some early season forgettable moments, they are now living up to the preseason expectations.

However, I don't think we've come close to seeing the best of what this team is capable of.  It took awhile for the O-line to come together and gel. They have played pretty well of late but I think they sstill have their best play ahead of them. The offense has also been hampered by injuries to our star receivers. Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are the best receiving trio in the game, not to mention the valuable Hayden Hurst. You're not gonna be your best without them being 100%.  
And our defense has been decimated by injuries to arguably the most important guys on that side of the ball--- Chido, Reader, Hilton, Hendrickson, Hubbard, and on and on.  And , still we win.

My God, how good could this team be if everyone was healthy all at once ?  We've not yet seen that dominant team that we all envisioned about six months ago. We've seen glimpes, but not that Goliath that we thought we'd see steamroll opponents week end and week out.  Don't get me wrong . I am happy with 10 wins in 14 games, especially considering how we started the season and how many injuries to key people we've had.

I just wrote this to see if you agree with me that, although we've played some pretty good football during this six-game stretch, we've still not yet seen what this team may truly be capable of.  Could it be that we'll finally see that juggernaut we all envisioned this summer around the time the postseason begins?  I can't think of a better time to watch it unfold.

Agree or disagree... we've not yet seen the best this team has to offer?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
It's quite possible the Bengals aren't yet playing at their absolute best... which is a scary thought as I think we're the best team in the league right now. Maybe I'm biased for us, but I feel that when we light a fire under ourselves, we just seem to do things better than any other team in the league. We know the offence can score on anybody. The defence when it kicks in, absolutely smothers anybody.

This is a really weird feeling tbh, as my entire time supporting the Bengals has been nothing but supporting either a bad team, or a team that you know will fail when the spotlights are on us. And I've only been a fan in the 21st century, there will be plenty here who've known far worse teams than I have.

This team is just different. They aren't perfect, but the makeup and mentality of the Bengals right now is just not even close to what it has been in my experience of following us. I am confident in saying that if we play 90%+ of what we can through the playoffs, we win the Super Bowl.

Of course until you do win it all, this is all just talk. We aren't the best team of all time, and better teams haven't won it all. But there is literally no team I feel we would be lucky to beat if we're at our best. With Burrow, I think we have a shot on any given year.

This might be the best time Bengals fans have ever had it. A really really good team, and a really easy group to root for too. I just hope we finally get our Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:44 AM)Science Friction Wrote: I know this is probably a rhetorical question  but I think it's worth a dicusssion.  Think of the type of performances you expected from this team after the free agent signings --- an offense that is unstoppable and a defense that is tough , resilient, and lockdown-capable in the second half of games.  Coming off a Superbowl performance , this  team got better in the offseason and , with an "expect to win" mindset, were primed for another deep postseason run.  After a slow start to the season and some early season forgettable moments, they are now living up to the preseason expectations.

However, I don't think we've come close to seeing the best of what this team is capable of.  It took awhile for the O-line to come together and gel. They have played pretty well of late but I think they sstill have their best play ahead of them. The offense has also been hampered by injuries to our star receivers. Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are the best receiving trio in the game, not to mention the valuable Hayden Hurst. You're not gonna be your best without them being 100%.  
And our defense has been decimated by injuries to arguably the most important guys on that side of the ball--- Chido, Reader, Hilton, Hendrickson, Hubbard, and on and on.  And , still we win.

My God, how good could this team be if everyone was healthy all at once ?  We've not yet seen that dominant team that we all envisioned about six months ago. We've seen glimpes, but not that Goliath that we thought we'd see steamroll opponents week end and week out.  Don't get me wrong . I am happy with 10 wins in 14 games, especially considering how we started the season and how many injuries to key people we've had.

I just wrote this to see if you agree with me that, although we've played some pretty good football during this six-game stretch, we've still not yet seen what this team may truly be capable of.  Could it be that we'll finally see that juggernaut we all envisioned this summer around the time the postseason begins?  I can't think of a better time to watch it unfold.

I don't believe the coaches are "saving something" as all of these games are so critical.  Get the one seed and their chances of making the Super Bowl go up exponentially.  However, there are probably some big plays they are not dialing up and just being happy to attack underneath.  Last year, it was all big splash plays.  This year is more grind it out.  Grind it out is more reliable and less prone to lapses and poor weather impact.  

For a few games there (Atlanta and Carolina) we were really seeing the run game the way many of us imagined it with all these receiving weapons and an improved offensive line.  That has been very inconsistent.  I would love to see a game where the run game averages over 5 ypc, but the pass game is really efficient, with something like 75% completion.  I think the most complete game this season was actually the KC game.  Perine averaged over 5 ypc, (Mixon was injured early), and Burrow was 25/31 for 286 with 2 TDs and 0 INTs.  One difference in that game was Burrow also ran the ball 11 times for 46 yards.  That is probably the one thing they are really trying to hold back.  Not risk him getting injured or taking hits by running the ball, but it does add another dimension like Philly and Buffalo have.  

Getting the big 3 out there together (Chase, Higgins, Boyd) and a fresh Mixon and Perine with solid play from the line and backup TEs could pretty much be unstoppable.  No, they won't score 40 points a game, but if they get to 30, it will be very tough for ANY team to score 30 on this defense.  

Chances are the weather will really such Saturday, and I hope and pray they have a great run game called (Adeniji as extra OT?) and can grind out this key win on the road on a short week. 

Who Dey!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This team is playing really well, but it can not fire on all cylinders with players like Awuzie, Hilton, Hendrickson and now Hubbard on the bench. So we are NOT seeing them at their best right now, but we are seeing them play well enough to win.
Reply/Quote
Agree because even the games we've had all the weapons healthy Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, Perine, and Hurst which have not been many, They've still had lingering injuries they were fighting or coming back from surgeries and such. Even Burrow at the beginning of the season, plus the O-line had yet to gel at the same time..

The defense as well with all the DB's being the walking wounded throughout, Reader out obviously put a damper on them, Wilson has battled a shoulder injury all season and now Trey and Hubbard.

If Fred were around he could not make that claim that the Bengals were the luckiest team in league with injuries that helped their win total like last season. Others may have made same claim albeit it was definitely the loud yet the minority saying this.

Hopefully the best will come out of the Bengals in the Playoffs where it will be needed the most. This Hubbard injury has me concerned though, he is more valuable than his stats would lead you to believe. But if anybody can figure it out it would be Lou-Dey.

Yet the Bengals have still done quite well even while not putting up their very best. This team is very good but the AFC is loaded and their best may be required later.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 09:47 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree because even the games we've had all the weapons healthy Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, Perine, and Hurst which have not been many, They've still had lingering injuries they were fighting or coming back from surgeries and such. Even Burrow at the beginning of the season, plus the O-line had yet to gel at the same time..

The defense as well with all the DB's has been the walking wounded throughout, Reader out obviously put a damper on them, Wilson has battled a shoulder injury all season and now Trey and Hubbard.

If Fred were around he could not make that claim that the Bengals were the luckiest team in league with injuries that helped their win total. Others may have made same claim albeit it was definitely the loud yet the minority saying this.

Hopefully the best will come out of the Bengals in the Playoffs where it will be needed the most. This Hubbard injury has me concerned though, he is more valuable than his stats would lead you to believe. But if anybody can figure it out it would be Lou-Dey.

Yet the Bengals have still done quite well even while not putting up their very best. This team is very good but the AFC is loaded and their best may be required later.

Fred's around, he just made a new account. Took me a minute to figure it out.
Reply/Quote
I think the offense has another gear. The injuries have held things back a little,

I want to see them do what they did the Atlanta and Carolina vs a legit team. I don't think it's impossible at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:44 AM)Science Friction Wrote: I know this is probably a rhetorical question  but I think it's worth a dicusssion.  Think of the type of performances you expected from this team after the free agent signings --- an offense that is unstoppable and a defense that is tough , resilient, and lockdown-capable in the second half of games.  Coming off a Superbowl performance , this  team got better in the offseason and , with an "expect to win" mindset, were primed for another deep postseason run.  After a slow start to the season and some early season forgettable moments, they are now living up to the preseason expectations.

Agree with you and Joe Brrr, there is another level this team can hit and we haven't seen it yet. Glimpses in this 6 game winning 
streak for sure and we saw glimpses in that 2nd half on Sunday too. Need to stick with the Gap scheme on Offense with the OL to 
get the running game back on track, need our depth players to step up and play well in the absence of Trey, Sam and Hayden etc.

If we can get these guy's back while having a top seed and a Home game or 2 in the Playoffs we may see their best.

Sure would be awesome.
Reply/Quote
I think there is another gear on offense. ZT made the decision to basically sit the starters for pre-season (save for Volson). Collins was hurt & Burrow stunk for the first couple weeks because of the apendectomy. The O linexwas terrible early, as was Mixon. Then Higgins had a lingering hammy issue, Chase got hurt for 4 weeks. Mixon missed timexwith a concussion. Hurst got hurt. Boyd molissed a game. The O line has been super healthy, but the skill guys have all had dings and weeks out all year.

We had a string of injuries at NT early with Reader & Tupou both down, and Wilson with the shoulder. The Chido went down. Now Hilton, Trey, Hubbard, and CTB. Bell & Bates, Pratt, Apple, and BJ Hill have been healthy (knock on wood), but everyonexelse has missed time. And Chido ain't coming back.
Reply/Quote

Tough to play at your best even when totally healthy against elite teams in the NFL and especially on the road. It's such a game of emotions, ebb and flow and crazy bounces that sometimes just being mentally as stable and tough as this team is and has been tells you more about exactly who they are. Teams practice all week to take away certain parts of the Bengals and sometimes they do but the really great teams have someone else step up or a backup rise to the challenge. 
It's like the baseball team that gets defined by their great won/loss record in 1 run games.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 09:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Fred's around, he just made a new account. Took me a minute to figure it out.

Certain you are correct about this

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
No.

Falcons and Panthers game were Bengals at their best. Pretty much flawless games.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think the biggest advantage in the three horse race of Cincy,KC, and Buffalo is that Cincy has not reached its highest level. The OL is going to continue to improve. Hayden Hurst is not at the level he’s going to reach. So our offense has not reached its peak.

QB KC & Bills over Joe. Very marginally. I mean we are splitting hairs. Mahomes makes plays that can’t be duplicated. Allen can make throws with his arm and in the run game that the others can’t. He’s more physical in the run game and his velocity is the best. Burrow is more accurate and I’m not so sure a better game manager.

DL The 3 are a wash. KC & Bills better pass rush the Bengals better rush defense.
LB Cincy has the best
DB It’s a wash. Bengals better at safety but the other 2 at corners
RB Cincy’s one two punch is better than KC or the Bills
WR Cincy definitely
OL KC then Buff then Cincy
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote