Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a leak underneath the front of my car
The fluid is red. I notice to my car isn't running as good as before too. Taking it in tomorrow first thing. What do you guys think the leak is?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 08:55 PM)packerbacker Wrote: The fluid is red. I notice to my car isn't running as good as before too. Taking it in tomorrow first thing. What do you guys think the leak is?

It's automatic transmission fluid...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Uh oh that isn't good. Is that costly? I really hope not.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 09:00 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Uh oh that isn't good. Is that costly? I really hope not.

It's probly blinker fluid.

Mellow

Seriously though, transmission fluid is cheap. Gaskets are cheap. A whole transmission is several hundred dollars. I'd get it fixed soon.
Reply/Quote
You should be ok as long as you don't drive it until fixed. You burn it up? Big money bro!

Reply/Quote
I take a leak under my car all the time. 'Cept my fluid is more of a yellow.

EDIT: Disredard this post, I'm a bit trashed.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 11:46 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I take a leak under my car all the time.  'Cept my fluid is more of a yellow.

EDIT:  Disredard this post, I'm a bit trashed.

Lol I spit my drink out all over the monitor reading this.
Reply/Quote
Transmission fluid runs thru a portion of your radiator if you have an automatic transmission.
Either the connection is loose or the radiator went bad, sprung a leak.Look at the two small connections( not the large black hoses ).
You will need two line wrenches to tighten them (1 to hold radiator nut, other to tighten transmission line ) if loose.
Good luck
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 08:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It's automatic transmission fluid...

(07-18-2017, 09:00 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Uh oh that isn't good. Is that costly? I really hope not.

.....but some vehicles use ATF for power steering.  My truck is that way.  What type of vehicle is it packer?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:13 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....but some vehicles use ATF for power steering.  My truck is that way.  What type of vehicle is it packer?

It's a 2008 Chevy Malibu.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 10:15 AM)packerbacker Wrote: It's a 2008 Chevy Malibu.

The 4 cylinder Malibu has electric assist power steering, and the V6 uses regular fluid, so it is definitely a trans leak.....unless your car uses that newer red antifreeze.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 11:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: The 4 cylinder Malibu has electric assist power steering, and the V6 uses regular fluid, so it is definitely a trans leak.....unless your car uses that newer red antifreeze.

I was waiting for the red antifreeze to be raised as a suspect. Thank you Wyche!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Red fluid is a sign of the tears of following the Reds this season. 

Seriously though, get a nice clean rag and wipe off anything that even remotely resembles liquid then look for any new fluid that might resemble red then work backwards. 
One simple rule of thumb is to always work from the cheapest to fix to the most expensive and not the other way around. I'd avoid 'leak stopping' chemicals if you can. Most do more damage than good. 
But you have some good answers..Theres only a few things that produce red fluid so before you invest in a $300 5 gallon bucket of steam stick with things you know will put out red fluid. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
No Red fluid is the Bengals logos being smeared all over the Lambeau turf in Late September after the Packers win. Haha I'm only joking guys. Only messing with you all but back on topic my Trans lines are rusted out which has caused the leak. Thanks Wyche for finding out what it was before the mechanics did. I didn't want to drive it any longer than I had to as I was worried I would burn the Transmission.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 10:20 PM)Benton Wrote: It's probly blinker fluid.

Mellow

Seriously though, transmission fluid is cheap. Gaskets are cheap. A whole transmission is several hundred dollars. I'd get it fixed soon.

Thanks for reminding me I need to pick up a bottle.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 04:30 PM)packerbacker Wrote: No Red fluid is the Bengals logos being smeared all over the Lambeau turf in Late September after the Packers win. Haha I'm only joking guys. Only messing with you all but back on topic my Trans lines are rusted out which has caused the leak. Thanks Wyche for finding out what it was before the mechanics did. I didn't want to drive it any longer than I had to as I was worried I would burn the Transmission.

yeah you don't wanna have to replace the transmission....
Reply/Quote