Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have to brag on my daughter
My daughter skipped second grade so she was still just 14 last fall when she started her sophomore year.  She recently had to take the ACT because she was trying to get into some duel credit course (high school/college) next year as a junior.  She was worried about taking the ACT a year early as a sophomore, but I told her she could always take it again as a junior if she was not satisfied with her score.  She had to get at least a 24 to qualify for the classes, and I assured her she should make that easily.

She got a perfect 36 on the Reading and English sections and a 34 overall (99th percentile).  That makes sense to me because reading and English don't get much harder while more advanced math builds on what was taught the year before.

The best thing is that she is very motivated to get good grades.  I also tested very well in high school, but I was more interested in playing ball and having a good time.  My college grades were not that great, but I got into UT Law School (just barely) because I scored in the 97th percentile on the LSAT.

I have always preached to her that a good work ethic is more important to making good grades (and being successful in life) than just being blessed with a powerful brain.  My friends and family were proud of me for graduating from law school, but the fact is I always just did enough to get by.  I really could have done much better if I had applied myself.

I just didn't get it back then.  I would criticize guys who were great natural athletes that did not work hard, but in fact that was exactly what I was doing in school.  With my daughter's motivation and great brains she will be capable of some great achievements.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My daughter skipped second grade so she was still just 14 last fall when she started her sophomore year.  She recently had to take the ACT because she was trying to get into some duel credit course (high school/college) next year as a junior.  She was worried about taking the ACT a year early as a sophomore, but I told her she could always take it again as a junior if she was not satisfied with her score.  She had to get at least a 24 to qualify for the classes, and I assured her she should make that easily.

She got a perfect 36 on the Reading and English sections and a 34 overall (99th percentile).  That makes sense to me because reading and English don't get much harder while more advanced math builds on what was taught the year before.

The best thing is that she is very motivated to get good grades.  I also tested very well in high school, but I was more interested in playing ball and having a good time.  My college grades were not that great, but I got into UT Law School (just barely) because I scored in the 97th percentile on the LSAT.

I have always preached to her that a good work ethic is more important to making good grades (and being successful in life) than just being blessed with a powerful brain.  My friends and family were proud of me for graduating from law school, but the fact is I always just did enough to get by.  I really could have done much better if I had applied myself.

I just didn't get it back then.  I would criticize guys who were great natural athletes that did not work hard, but in fact that was exactly what I was doing in school.  With my daughter's motivation and great brains she will be capable of some great achievements.

And you're a lawyer... tsk, tsk....

Ninja

lol I's just joking.

That is awesome to be in that percentile! She clearly has a powerful brain, capable of doing well on evaluations; so long as she doesn't fall off the rails, work ethic-wise, she should be mighty successful in the future.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My daughter skipped second grade so she was still just 14 last fall when she started her sophomore year.  She recently had to take the ACT because she was trying to get into some duel credit course (high school/college) next year as a junior.  She was worried about taking the ACT a year early as a sophomore, but I told her she could always take it again as a junior if she was not satisfied with her score.  She had to get at least a 24 to qualify for the classes, and I assured her she should make that easily.

That's great to hear. I know what you mean, it sounds as if she's exactly the same way as my son. He's passionate and driven about his school work and has the best time management skills that I've ever seen. He also regularly scores in the 99th percentile on tests and his goals for his classes are not to get an "A", thats a given, but rather to get as close to 100% as he can. 

It's a great feeling and makes you very proud when the do so well and you know that they're going to be okay in life. 
Reply/Quote
Good for her Fred. I would be proud too.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I just didn't get it back then. 

That's where the saying that "youth is wasted on the young" comes from. 95% of all humans didn't get it back then.
Reply/Quote
Good deal Fred !
Reply/Quote
She will most assuredly have great opportunities in her future if she continues on her current path.
Reply/Quote
Awesome!

I know from previous threads that she is a great kid and a great source of joy in your life.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Very impressive. Free college on the way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote