Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have we found our tackles of the future?
(11-16-2020, 12:12 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Or even cornerback.  But pass rush would make the secondary better, so I'll agree!  What's this years draft deep on?  I think that likely dictates the logic on what first.

For OL and DL, there look to be a lot of great options on Day 2.
Not great for early Rd 1 aside from Sewell and maybe Rousseau.
Bengals might want to go CB or trade down in Rd 1 if they can't land Sewell or Rousseau. Perhaps TE could be in play too if they pick in the teens.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 12:12 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Or even cornerback.  But pass rush would make the secondary better, so I'll agree!  What's this years draft deep on?  I think that likely dictates the logic on what first.

I think the issues at CB are well below that of D line, yesterday was an even greater outlier because we had guys play most of the game who are 5/6 cornerbacks. Jackson is a mid-level CB 1 and we have paid Waynes as such so I don't see a push there in the 1st, but in a really good class I wouldn't count it out. That said, D line is really top-heavy at the moment and I think there will be a huge falloff after the top couple guys so it could be a case where we end up in a bit of no-mans land in terms of being too late for an elite rusher and maybe a bit early for a corner, which would bring trading back into play.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 08:25 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That's on Zac Taylor and this is the problem of having a quarterback coach who played quarterback in college coaching a team owned by a former college quarterback.  It's the mindset and it's wrong.

Drafting Joe Burrow was the safest thing to do but his presence on the team makes Zac Taylor go to the air far too often.  True, Joe was not intercepted by the Steelers yesterday but there were lots of incompletions too.  Zac should have seen Joe was way more inaccurate than usual and (1) run the ball more often and called (2) safe, short passes.  The run blocking was better yesterday and this is the odd year teams can run against Pittsburgh so I'm still scratching my head.

Agree. We were averaging 5 yrd a carry.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:55 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I feel like this thread was recycled from last year when people thought Fred Johnson was the answer from a small sample size.

Ordinarily I would agree, as the Fred Johnson hype was just silly. And I said so frequently on this board. 

But the difference here is that FJ was a college guard who went undrafted and we picked him off the waiver wire. Adeniji has four years of quality college tape playing tackle, and we drafted him. Coaches had a day 2 graded on him while the front office had a much lower grade. It's entirely possible the coaches were right in this case. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:31 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I would go after Joe Thuney in Free agency. He is proven and would fit in perfectly at Guard.

He'd be great, but I see roughly zero chance they pay top money to a guard, ever. It'll take ~12 million a year to sign him and I doubt they'd ever do that from a philosophical standpoint. I think we might pay that money for a good DL once we cut Geno, but not an OG. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 12:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the issues at CB are well below that of D line, yesterday was an even greater outlier because we had guys play most of the game who are 5/6 cornerbacks. Jackson is a mid-level CB 1 and we have paid Waynes as such so I don't see a push there in the 1st, but in a really good class I wouldn't count it out. That said, D line is really top-heavy at the moment and I think there will be a huge falloff after the top couple guys so it could be a case where we end up in a bit of no-mans land in terms of being too late for an elite rusher and maybe a bit early for a corner, which would bring trading back into play.

Even Rousseau and Paye come with solid question marks.

I do like some of the next level passrusher like Jayson Oweh. He is creating a ton of pressure and play well against the run which was his biggest question mark coming into the year. Patrick Jones II is wreaking Havoc in the ACC... Roche, Hamilcar, Ojulari all look the part but smaller. Ossai I still have reservations about.

The Bengals do need to get a couple new guys for the Dline. In the first year of this rebuild the Bengals already have 3 of the top 4 positions. QB, LT, Corner. Now they need to target the Pass Rusher.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was not impressed with Adeniji or anyone on our offensive line.

Wasn't Watt lined up across from Adeniji?

No Watt was lined up against Spain. I know one of his sacks came on a stunt that pain picked up but Redmond missed Watt coming through his gap. That is not Spains fault. I record the games and watch some fo those plays frame by frame. Redmond has a lot of problems. Adenji really seemed pretty solid and balanced.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 12:56 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: He'd be great, but I see roughly zero chance they pay top money to a guard, ever. It'll take ~12 million a year to sign him and I doubt they'd ever do that from a philosophical standpoint. I think we might pay that money for a good DL once we cut Geno, but not an OG. 

I agree with you in most years you are right. They usually do not value Guards. The Bengals Front Office has done numerous things that are different this year. They traded Dunlap and signed multiple Free Agents. I think to protect Burrow they will make a run at him or someone similar. He is only 27. It sure would be nice to find a proven Off Lineman instead of hoping the draft produces one.
Still like to try and get Micah Parsons. Nobody wants to get rid of a proven LB they need to be drafted.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 03:06 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: No Watt was lined up against Spain. I know one of his sacks came on a stunt that pain picked up but Redmond missed Watt coming through his gap. That is not Spains fault. I record the games and watch some fo those plays frame by frame. Redmond has a lot of problems. Adenji really seemed pretty solid and balanced.

Agreed. Redmond overcommitted to the outside and couldn’t flip himself back around in time to catch Watt. I haven’t watched the film but from what I saw, Hakeem did indeed look solid. If that is the case, Hakeem and Jonah would be a huge asset to this team as they would both be incredibly young bookends.
Reply/Quote
I feel confident that this O-line is finally coming together.I think they’ll have it figured out by the end of the year.There is plenty of time left.Go D-line in the draft.Get Reader back healthy,and pick up a really good speedster WR and we are all set up for Super Bowl Heaven.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 12:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: Honestly, Spain didn't do that badly against Watt. He rode Watt past the QB on his first sack, but Watt was able to blindside Burrow because the pocket collapsed in front of him and he had nowhere to step up.  The second was a blown stunt pickup by Redmond.

When i look at Spain's massive frame though i really want to see him mauling at RG...hoping he could be a Bobbie Williams type grader.

Adenji has surprised me with this play...with Williams, Spain, Hopkins we might have a serviceable line.

Does beg the question though as to why over the last few seasons have we only stumbled on our best O Line after halfway point of season - the starters the coaches roll out with post camp are always garbage
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 12:07 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have wanted this for some time.  He is young, local, the best at his position, and comes from a winning culture.  However, I am starting to realize that with the disappearance of Atkins and Dunlap's demise, this team needs an infusion of talent on the defensive line.  They also need a vertical WR since Green is apparently done.  I liked the idea of going after Brandin Cooks as a veteran that can get vertical, but I would probably prefer those dollars be spent on defense as well and get a vertical WR in the draft.  

Spending money in FA on the O-line and WR frees up draft picks for difference makers on the D.

From a cost control point of view we should be targeting D in the early rounds of this draft. In the last 6 drafts we've only drafted one first round D player (WJIII) and only one second round D player (Bates).

It's also going to maybe easier to attract FA on the offensive side to than FA on the defensive side. I've said it before but with a potentially elite Q we should be looking for rebound WRs on the cheap who want a one year prove it deal with a quality QB. If they succeed we get a year out of them and then a good comp pick.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 04:21 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I feel confident that this O-line is finally coming together.I think they’ll have it figured out by the end of the year.There is plenty of time left.Go D-line in the draft.Get Reader back healthy,and pick up a really good speedster WR and we are all set up for Super Bowl Heaven.

Who plays CB then?

This team isn't one draft away, that was evident in yesterday's beat down.

If you hit on all 7 picks and get 3 or 4 FA's to come in, sure we might be close with no injuries but right now, we aren't close at all. This team needs several starters and a ton of depth before it's close to competitive.

I do think we have some potential with our tackles and with Spain as a guard. But are we sold on the other G spot or C?
There is a few nice pieces in the LB room with Logan Wilson, and maybe Pratt. ADG is still a question mark.
The CB room is terrible.
Bates is the man, and Bell seems more comfortable but what is after them?
Just so many holes.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Hakeem should at least replace Hart and Spain should replace Redmond. Think they draft another Guard but it would not surprise me if the Bengals replace Green in round 1 next draft, he has been uninspiring to say the least.

Bengals need to find a Edge/LB in the next draft, not sure if the DL is all that strong next draft. Would like to see more of the Bengals rookie LB in the upcoming games to see what they have.

For those that want CB in next draft, Surtain, Farly, and Wade are the top rated by most draft boards but they have some issues and question marks. Surtain face plants and does not turn head and his tackling reminds me of Kirpatrick. Farly has some injury concerns. Wade and Stokes are my favorite at this point. However, I think the team needs Edge and another DT before secondary at this point.

I think Lawson is giving the most pressure and Bengals need to bring him back after this year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote