Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever been called, "The Devil?"
Had a driver call me the devil the other day. Not to my face, but to the owner of the company over the phone. After the call, the owner tells me that this guy really don't like your policy change. I kinda chuckled a little but inside it bothered me. This is what sucks sometimes about being a manager. Employees who don't take the time to know the law, criticize you for abiding by it. I didn't write it. Hell, I didn't even have a say in it. Yet, when you enforce it because, well, it's the law, you get chastised and well, get called the devil. Kinda ridiculous really and I don't know why it effected me. 

Here's the kicker. Although I can print and distribute certain laws in the "Code of Federal Regulations" (CFR), I am still the devil. IDK, just irks me that some guys could think that way. I believe in doing things legal. It's pretty expensive for a company to sway even close to the gray area. That's what I get paid to do. Make sure we are in compliance. I will never sway away from my responsibilities but it still kinda bothered me. Just can't wrap my head around that BS.

In a nutshell, it's kinda like stopping your kid from sticking a knife in a light socket, but then they get mad at you and scream and cry not knowing the true outcome of their actions. No, I'm not comparing the guy to a child, but when your career demands you know the CFR, It's disappointing.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe he just thought you were a Duke fan.
Reply/Quote
i hear Devil's Advocate on this forum has this problem as well.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Not called the devil but many years back when I was managing a restaurant the owner told me to fire a dishwasher that was sometimes late for work. Maybe I was a bit slack because the dishwasher did a really good job despite being late at times. However, the owner was an old grumpy drunk that had a penchant for wanting people fired for small reasons and sometimes no reason at all, especially when he was drunk. The owner told me not to fire him until he went home for the day. I guess he was too afraid to do it himself or be around. So after the owner left I grudgingly went to the kitchen and fired him.

The next day the line cook told me the dishwasher I fired called me a number of names I can't post here (but I assure you it was far worse than devil) and was planning to stab me in the parking lot after the restaurant closed. Fortunately he told him it wasn't me that made the call to have him fired as he overheard the restaurant owner tell me to fire him. It was a pretty bad restaurant due to a bad owner and I might have gotten stabbed for doing what I was told.

The restaurant went out of business not long after I left. I quit because the same drunk, grumpy owner told me to fire our best breakfast cook for no reason aside from the owner being drunk off his ass at 9 in the morning. So I called the owner a number of names I can't post here (but I assure you it was far worse than devil) and walked out. Big Grin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
To many times.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2018, 08:28 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Not called the devil but many years back when I was managing a restaurant the owner told me to fire a dishwasher that was sometimes late for work.  Maybe I was a bit slack because the dishwasher did a really good job despite being late at times. However, the owner was an old grumpy drunk that had a penchant for wanting people fired for small reasons and sometimes no reason at all, especially when he was drunk. The owner told me not to fire him until he went home for the day.  I guess he was too afraid to do it himself or be around.  So after the owner left I grudgingly went to the kitchen and fired him.  

The next day the line cook told me the dishwasher I fired called me a number of names I can't post here (but I assure you it was far worse than devil) and was planning to stab me in the parking lot after the restaurant closed.  Fortunately he told him it wasn't me that made the call to have him fired as he overheard the restaurant owner tell me to fire him.  It was a pretty bad restaurant due to a bad owner and I might have gotten stabbed for doing what I was told.  

The restaurant went out of business not long after I left. I quit because the same drunk, grumpy owner told me to fire our best breakfast cook for no reason aside from the owner being drunk off his ass at 9 in the morning.  So I called the owner a number of names I can't post here (but I assure you it was far worse than devil) and walked out.  Big Grin

I think I worked there too..  I used to work at Stockyards Inn in Dayton if anyone is familiar with the purveyors of fine cockroaches everywhere.. They paid off health inspectors to look "the other way"..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
No, but he does call me regularly looking to hang...
Reply/Quote
I get it. I have to lay guys off for the winter and even though I know I can get them jobs early in the spring it's tough.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I have to admit I would probably chuckle quite a bit wondering who calls someone the Devil in 2018. LOL
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I'm happy to report that I'm actually THE devil. That's right!  Make the Bengals win the super bowl and I'll own your soul for eternity. 
See how easy I make being immortal? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I've always wondered what's the devil look like.

Well there are all manner of lesser imps and demons, Pete but the great Satan hisself is red and scaly with a bifurcated tail and he carries a hay fork.

Oh no No sir, He's white, as white as you folks with empty eyes and a big hollow voice. He likes to travel around with a mean old hound. That's right.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 02:50 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I've always wondered what's the devil look like.

Well there are all manner of lesser imps and demons, Pete but the great Satan hisself is red and scaly with a bifurcated tail and he carries a hay fork.

Oh no No sir, He's white, as white as you folks with empty eyes and a big hollow voice. He likes to travel around with a mean old hound. That's right.

But on the movie Crossroads," He was black. Hmm

Reply/Quote
I've been known to go by the name "Louis Cyphre"
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 06:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I've been known to go by the name "Louis Cyphre"

I wouldn’t fret. Your only a lawyer which means even though your an evil demon, you have no fear of taking over the throwns of hell. Those are mainly grandfathered in for politicians and liberals. Ninja I REPEAT Ninja

However, that’s the view in the eyes of many. I still think of you as, well, just Fred. Smirk

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 09:29 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I have to admit I would probably chuckle quite a bit wondering who calls someone the Devil in 2018.  LOL

Helen Boucher.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
well ive been called a dragon...

But I spit acid not fire...
Reply/Quote
Please allow me to introduce myself

I'm a man of wealth and taste

I've been around for a long, long year

Stole many a man's soul to waste

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ

Had his moment of doubt and pain

Made damn sure that Pilate

Washed his hands and sealed his fate
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 02:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Please allow me to introduce myself

I'm a man of wealth and taste

I've been around for a long, long year

Stole many a man's soul to waste

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ

Had his moment of doubt and pain

Made damn sure that Pilate

Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pleased to meet you.

Hope you guess his name?

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 10:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Helen Boucher.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=11096231]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote