Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Having a great QB on a rookie deal is a cheat code in the NFL
(09-25-2023, 01:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Using motion is not considered "scheming" the way we use it.  Our goal is simply to provide Joe a tell as to what the defense is playing so he can get the ball out much faster.  Scheming with motion is what Miami does in giving Hill a running start which is tremendously difficult to cover.  Miami was showing signs last year of what they are doing now, excellent offense the gets playmakers free which opens the door to the run game.

"They rely on timing routes, the skill of the elite WRs, and the accuracy of their QB to move the ball...there isn't anything wrong with that."  We very rarely have free runners.  And when we do it is due to a break down in defense or a flaw Joe/Coaches witnessed on an earlier play; see Chase's famous hole shot vs KC.

Our method is much more difficult in that it requires a WR to win every route or make a contested catch, and for Joe to make a close to perfect throw.
and 

We do scheme for the TE occasionally.  Hurst TD vs Bills and the almost TD vs KC, and Wilcox's TD vs the Bucs were all excellently schemed plays.  I can recall a 3 for the RB's; Evans vs Detroit and TD vs KC, Mixon's last week were nice.

Traditional motion is a man/zone tell.

The Bengals used motion last week at times the way that Miami does. They actually had some good play designs at times, but no one wants to give them credit.

The first one below is a play that they reversed what they did against Cleveland in week 1 (gave the ball to Chase). Instead they faked to chase and went to Mixon for a chunk play. They were banking on the Ravens watching the week 1 tape, saw Chase in the backfield, and counted on the ball going to him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

This is another play where they use Irv in pre snap motion. First to tell man/zone, then use him in full sprint motion up until the ball is snapped to give him a head start and advantage against his defender to pick up the first:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;</span>
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Traditional motion is a man/zone tell.

The Bengals used motion last week at times the way that Miami does. They actually had some good play designs at times, but no one wants to give them credit.

The first one below is a play that they reversed what they did against Cleveland in week 1 (gave the ball to Chase). Instead they faked to chase and went to Mixon for a chunk play. They were banking on the Ravens watching the week 1 tape, saw Chase in the backfield, and counted on the ball going to him.

This is another play where they use Irv in pre snap motion. First to tell man/zone, then use him in full sprint motion up until the ball is snapped to give him a head start and advantage against his defender to pick up the first:

I actually said that our motion is used as a tell in my initial comment.
I actually mentioned the Mixon play in my initial comment as well.

And yes they did use Irv like Miami uses Hill.  Good catch by you.  Be great if we would use our speedster in the same manner.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 02:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I actually said that our motion is used as a tell in my initial comment.
I actually mentioned the Mixon play in my initial comment as well.

And yes they did use Irv like Miami uses Hill.  Good catch by you.  Be great if we would use our speedster in the same manner.

They definitely need to use more of it with different personnel. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 09:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And the past 2 seasons, the Bengals have taken advantage of it.

While the Bengals have drafted well the past 4 drafts (Burrow, Chase, Higgins, McPherson, Wilson, etc).

This team has also been built with free agency: (Reader, Hendrickson, Awuzie, Vonn Bell, Karras, Hilton, Cappa, Orlando Brown, etc.) <-- That's a massive amount of talent to infuse into a roster.

And trade (BJ Hill).

One would have to expect the Top 5 picks to stop happening, so free agency is a big path to success.

So with a QB highly paid, it's imperative to hit on draft picks AND to optimize development and scheme. Another way of looking at it is that it's back to using the same model they used under Marvin where they signed 3rd and 4th tier free agents because of cost...which puts a premium on draft picks.

Do the Bengals have the right staff in place to win without the cheat code on? I'd argue that offensive lineman atleast aren't being developed. How many players actually improved on the line from what they started as?

Great question and thread Pistons. I have confidence in a few coaches to develop youth (Lou, Bettcher, Walters) but so far Pollack
hasn't really developed our young guys as much as I would like. Volson hasn't improved this season so far so this is my concern for
the future now with the Burrow contract.
Reply/Quote
You guys really have to learn to stop taking the bait.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Yes, a starting QB on a rookie deal is a cheat code. Yes, we will see if our coaches and front office will provide the other needed pieces. The good teams in the league constantly bleed talent. IMO the biggest loss this coming offseason will not be Higgins or Reader, it will be Lou. And there is no cap on the salary paid to defensive coordinator. I would rather lose Taylor than Lou. JMO.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 11:02 AM)dxdtdemon Wrote: People seem to think that Burrow is the next Brady or Manning. Each of them only missed significant time due to injury once in their long careers, and it wasn't on their rookie contracts. People can say that "It's just training camp and the preseason, so it doesn't matter" all they want, but Burrow's refusal to play when many other players would be on the field with the injuries he has had has dragged down the team, and he knows that he'll be able to get away with sitting out for any injury now that he got paid. I work an extremely dangerous job and have had a lot of calf strains and most of the injuries that Lamar Jackson has sat out for, and have barely missed any time at work. Whatever draft picks we could've had for Burrow if he didn't sign the extension would help the team out way more than a perpetually hurt player.

Please don’t compre your job to that of an nfl player. You just look silly.
Reply/Quote