Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hayden Hurst YouTube video.
I've just watched a YouTube video of Hayden discussing his past problems with depression and his attempt to take his own life- really stirring and inspirational stuff. He's had drink and drug problems and come through them to forge a career in football when he could easily be truly nothing. I have real respect for him and I really believe he will be a very valuable asset to the team not only on the field but off it too. I'd put the video up if I could but I'm a techno dunce, but if someone much smarter than me could do it I'd be very grateful. There must be a fair number of fans out there who have mental health problems who just might benefit from seeing something like that and knowing there are other people out there who care and you can talk to. Cheers guys, Cuzz.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 05:20 PM)Cuzz from England Wrote: I'd put the video up if I could but I'm a techno dunce, but if someone much smarter than me could do it I'd be very grateful.

Is this the video you are talking about?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 05:28 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Is this the video you are talking about?

That's the one George- thanks a million for taking the time to upload it. If just one person watches it and it helps them then it's worth it. Cheers again, Cuzz.
Reply/Quote
Let’s support the dude.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
For some reason I can’t view the link. I’m guessing it’s the one on mental health? If so I watched it last week when I was working out and thought it was really good. Keep at it no matter how bad things are. With the right mindset anything is possible.
Reply/Quote
I think Hayden is gonna be really valuable this season. I look for a really good year from him.
Reply/Quote
Thinking a SB ring would make his day

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 08:12 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Thinking a SB ring would make his day

& about 700 to 800 yards along with 7 to 10 TDs so he makes bank as an upcoming FA. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 09:19 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: & about 700 to 800 yards along with 7 to 10 TDs so he makes bank as an upcoming FA. 

I really think we can become a highly attractive destination for free agents by turning middle of the pack players into significant earners. By focusing on up and coming players that haven't peaked yet, we can increase their value and then they can make a big pay day in FA. This is a sound strategy (in dealing with the salary cap) if our player evaluation is on point. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 10:05 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I really think we can become a highly attractive destination for free agents by turning middle of the pack players into significant earners. By focusing on up and coming players that haven't peaked yet, we can increase their value and then they can make a big pay day in FA. This is a sound strategy (in dealing with the salary cap) if our player evaluation is on point. 

I agree. I view it as simple as recognizing that Joe Burrow has the ability to make players around him better. He's going to ensure many skill players at WR, RB, and TE get paid.
Reply/Quote
Former Bengal Mike Reid was a First Team All-Pro DT at age 25 and Pro Bowl at age 26. He retired at age 27. He said he had a problem with depression, but in the early 1970's when he played no "real man" would admit to any mental health problems. Especially something like "depression" where all you had to do was "cheer up" to get better.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Former Bengal Mike Reid was a First Team All-Pro DT at age 25 and Pro Bowl at age 26.  He retired at age 27.  He said he had a problem with depression, but in the early 1970's when he played no "real man" would admit to any mental health problems.  Especially something like "depression" where all you had to do was "cheer up" to get better.

The went on to be a Grammy winning song writer.... I worry about a guy like Hurst and CTE though.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 05:20 PM)Cuzz from England Wrote: I've just watched a YouTube video of Hayden discussing his past problems with depression and his attempt to take his own life- really stirring and inspirational stuff. He's had drink and drug problems and come through them to forge a career in football when he could easily be truly nothing. I have real respect for him and I really believe he will be a very valuable asset to the team not only on the field but off it too. I'd put the video up if I could but I'm a techno dunce, but if someone much smarter than me could do it I'd be very grateful. There must be a fair number of fans out there who have mental health problems who just might benefit from seeing something like that and knowing there are other people out there who care and you can talk to. Cheers guys, Cuzz.

I think we all suffer from some form of depression or have a chemical imbalance. There is hope, don't be defined by your worst decision(s) and if you have depression, his story is one of many proving the sun can come up tomorrow.

I think he is a great addition to the team.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Former Bengal Mike Reid was a First Team All-Pro DT at age 25 and Pro Bowl at age 26.  He retired at age 27.  He said he had a problem with depression, but in the early 1970's when he played no "real man" would admit to any mental health problems.  Especially something like "depression" where all you had to do was "cheer up" to get better.

I went through a shitton of depression and even suicide attempts coming up from around 8 years old in 1967-90something back when the answer to everything was "buck up" and only think about your families reputation and blah, blah, blah..To top it off they would fill you full of experimental and very dangerous anti psychotic drugs then tell you it's all your own fault..
I gave up on even talking to shrinks and to this day want nothing to do with the quacks.. I have zero faith in them. The only thing I have faith in is my own ability to figure out how to deal with depression and to ride it out, the highs and lows..It always gets better..it took me years to realize that..  I still have no idea how I'm still alive after so many attempts on my own life, but I am and don't waste a lot of energy trying to figure out why..  I did manage to figure out how to manage my own addictions..That was tougher than the depression itself.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 09:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think we all suffer from some form of depression or have a chemical imbalance. There is hope, don't be defined by your worst decision(s) and if you have depression, his story is one of many proving the sun can come up tomorrow.

I think he is a great addition to the team.

I don't believe everyone does. I thank my lucky stars when I say this, but I've never been depressed a day in my life. Sure, I've been sad when I lost a loved one, or when something didn't go the way I wanted. I lost almost every hobby I enjoyed in life due to injuries, my career in police work was taken by a neck/back injury, which also ended my skydiving days. One of my other loves was scuba diving. Can't do that because of heart disease, which also took away motorcycling due to the meds I take. I still play golf, albeit with a slower swing. Now I spend time bbq'ing and am trending into building muzzleloaders for fun. None of that is to brag, just to say I fully understand the difference between being sad about something and depression. Being sad is no fun, but is dealt with. Depression is something totally different that is best dealt with by seeking help.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 11:17 AM)grampahol Wrote: I gave up on even talking to shrinks and to this day want nothing to do with the quacks.. I have zero faith in them. 

Therapists don't have magic powers to make you feel better.  The biggest purpose they serve is giving people someone they can talk to openly without being judged or feeling like they are "dumping their problems" on friends and family.

Many problems can be worked out with discussion.  The issue is that most people don't have someone they can share their biggest secrets and fears with.  Even if you have a spouse or close friend that loves and accepts you no matter what it may put them in a difficult position to give you honest advice.  Or maybe you don't feel like burdening that person with your problems.
Reply/Quote
When I had an issue with depression I did not really feel "sad". I just did not give a shit about anything. Nothing really mattered.
Reply/Quote
To be honest I think that we as men ( presumably) are actually discussing this is massive progress. As has been said already years ago you'd just be told told to " cheer up you miserable bastard" and told to " snap out of it". I've never suffered from any kind of depression but my wife does and it's bloody hard to see someone you love not able to function and what seems like an easy task to me is totally impossible to her. Thankfully her medication is working fine at the moment. There are probably some members of staff, players, coaches or people associated with the Bengals who could truly benefit from having Hayden around as someone to talk to. On the field I think he will be a more than capable replacement at tight end and will help keep the chains moving.
Reply/Quote
Will watch this later, thanks. Good for Hayden to overcome such a thing. I have had a few problems but not near anything
like suicide thoughts, I have a great life and I just have to remember that at times.

The brewskies help at the end of the day lol

I really think adding Hayden to our team could be a great addition and an upgrade over Uzo who I really liked.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Therapists don't have magic powers to make you feel better.  The biggest purpose they serve is giving people someone they can talk to openly without being judged or feeling like they are "dumping their problems" on friends and family.

Many problems can be worked out with discussion.  The issue is that most people don't have someone they can share their biggest secrets and fears with.  Even if you have a spouse or close friend that loves and accepts you no matter what it may put them in a difficult position to give you honest advice.  Or maybe you don't feel like burdening that person with your problems.

That's sort of true but not completely.  Of course a therapist can't cure depression or any other mental illness.  However a good therapist is much more than someone to talk to without feeling like they are being judged.  They can also help the client develop coping skills to deal with their symptoms.  There are several approaches therapists can use for example cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy.   These can help the client learn to identify their symptoms and teach skills to help manage them. 

Of course a lot of therapy is listening to the client, understanding their issues and concerns without judgment.  But that only goes so far.  A good therapist will work with the client to help them develop coping skills.  It takes a lot of work not only for the therapist but also the client to help minimize symptoms through exercise and practice.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote