Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"He only did it for one Year..."
Usually when a QB cant make it at a big school they choose a small school to finish out their career. Joe Burrow couldve taken the easy way out and transferred back to Athens and had a great few years with OU. Instead he went for the challenge and went to a powerhouse SEC school in LSU. Instead of just finishing out his career he went on to be the best college QB in the history of football. The kid wants to be the best and will do anything to get there. He is 100% my pick.
Reply/Quote
I put this in another thread but thought this was nice...

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Any QB can bust, but Burrow looks about as safe as a QB prospect can be. He shined in a pro style offense against the best defenses college has to offer. He's exhibited resilience by overcoming a tough start in the championship game. His arm is at least a plus. His accuracy is great. His pocket awareness is great. Scrambling is a plus.

In this era, a player with such attributes simply doesn't bust (knock on wood). Is it possible he doesn't become a star? Obviously. I'd say his absolute floor is a slightly better version of Dalton.

I'm sure some people will get triggered by that name, but keep in mind I'm saying that's his floor. My point is that I'd lay money that he won't bust. Barring some kind of Ryan Leaf-esque hidden character flaws.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Akili Smith.. David Klingler...and.....

Rick meir, keven kolb, jamarcuss russel, Rosen, hell how about colt McCoy, mayfeid ant shit, Big giant dude that denvar had(was he a first rounder)

The name that should Grab Bengals fans memories is Klingler..

last cant miss prospect was really Watson in my opinion, before that Luck.

Lets just see how he does.. I think we should take Borrow, make him take starting job from Dalton, let the coach prove he should keep his job, just everybody settle

That's my point Dalton on a contract and borrow if hes as good as advertised will be cheep for at leat 3 more years. They should Keep Dalton this year.

Dalton will win with a good team, qb is not the only part of team, If Dalton cant win some rookie isn't gonna be much better(if at all) Borrow IS Impressive Though.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 01:28 AM)sleprock Wrote: Akili Smith.. David Klingler...and.....

Rick meir, keven kolb, jamarcuss russel, Rosen, hell how about colt McCoy, mayfeid ant shit, Big giant dude that denvar had(was he a first rounder)

Lets just see how he does.. I think we should take Borrow, make him take starting job from Dalton, let the coach prove he should keep his job, just everybody settle

That's my point Dalton on a contract and borrow if hes as good as advertised will be cheep for at leat 3 more years.  They should Keep Dalton this year.

Dalton will win with a good team, qb is not the only part of team, If Dalton cant win some rookie isn't gonna be much better(if at all) Borrow IS Impressive Though.
With all due respect...NO.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 01:28 AM)sleprock Wrote: Akili Smith.. David Klingler...and.....

That's my point Dalton on a contract and borrow if hes as good as advertised will be cheep for at leat 3 more years. They should Keep Dalton this year.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 01:32 AM)McC Wrote: With all due respect...NO.

That post deserved no respect.

Reply/Quote
I still cant figure out how to say your name!!
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 02:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  Years of actual NFL draft history is just a bunch of bullshit everyone should ignore.

Being a "one year wonder" is just one piece of information scouts use to evaluate players, just like a forty yard dash time.  It does not automatically mean the player is excluded.  It just means their are some questions.  If a top WR has a bad forty time at the combine teams don't automatically drop the guy in the draft.  Instead they go back and watch more film to see if the slow forty time might be a problem.  Burrow looked great in 2019, but his play in 2018 still creates some questions.  Personally I believe a good bit of his increase in production was due to coaching and the talent around him, but at the same time he has no big flaws that would keep him from being the #1 overall pick.

The funny thing is how some of the same people who claim we should ignore Dalton's one great year love Burrow based on just one great year.  Professional scouts can spot talented QBs even when they are playing on bad teams with poor coaches, and in 2018 not one scout was seeing anything great in Burrow.

Of course your post are always about Dalton. Amazing
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 02:59 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Of course your post are always about Dalton. Amazing

Be fair, some of them are about Marvin...

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 02:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hmmm, I wonder why he did not hate losing the first four years of his college career?

And you know this cause?
I really can't believe you would stoop so low with these lies. And obviously he doesn't like to lose other wise he would have been a good little soldier and stayed at OSU as a back up.  Nope, apparently he was determined to make his own path and prove people wrong about him....

(04-21-2020, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is why I always point out that it was JOE BURROW who finished 12th in the SEC in passer rating in 2018.

Excellent news! He showed Year over Year improvement while maturing! I'm glad you are now supporting him.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 02:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  Years of actual NFL draft history is just a bunch of bullshit everyone should ignore.

Being a "one year wonder" is just one piece of information scouts use to evaluate players, just like a forty yard dash time.  It does not automatically mean the player is excluded.  It just means their are some questions.  If a top WR has a bad forty time at the combine teams don't automatically drop the guy in the draft.  Instead they go back and watch more film to see if the slow forty time might be a problem.  Burrow looked great in 2019, but his play in 2018 still creates some questions.  Personally I believe a good bit of his increase in production was due to coaching and the talent around him, but at the same time he has no big flaws that would keep him from being the #1 overall pick.

The funny thing is how some of the same people who claim we should ignore Dalton's one great year love Burrow based on just one great year.  Professional scouts can spot talented QBs even when they are playing on bad teams with poor coaches, and in 2018 not one scout was seeing anything great in Burrow.

All valid points.  At the end of the day the Bengals have the #1 pick, we need a QB (well..... because that's what you do when you have the number 1 overall pick and your current QB is at the end of his 2nd contract - nothing against AD) and Burrow is currently the best of the QB class in the 2020 draft.  

It's really that simple.  Whether or not he is a great pro is TBD.  We're all hoping that's the case.  If it is we have our QB for the next decade and can start making moves to surround him with the best talent possible to make a run at the big prize.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 03:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Some people like to say Joe is a system QB because of what he did with Joe Brady, yet Brady himself said 'Joe Burrow is not a system quarterback.' When talking about Joe having players around him that elevated his play, Brady (and many others including his teammates) have been quick to point out that Joe also elevated the play of everyone else around him. 

I don't think it's fair to say that Joe was great because of the coaches and surrounding cast, without also acknowledging the incredible things he did to make the 'system' work and put his play makers in a position to shine, even when forced to go off-script and create his own plays, which was quite often.

I don't really care if it was the system or he himself was that good.  In watching him play it was fairly apparent he had control of those in the huddle, was calm under pressure and made plays.  These are leadership trait, first by demeanor and then by results.  You can't be a good leader by just being vocal, you have to get the results.  That's the biggest thing I noticed about Burrow.  Historically leadership at QB translates very well to the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 02:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Very solid post at same time.. it is logical and we should look at the whole of a player.. so two areas of concern for Burrow is Arm strength and is he a system QB ( meaning needs elite talent and a great coach around him) that put him on that level for Senior Year.. somewhat similar to concerns with Andy Dalton..  what separates the two coming into the NFL is Burrow has a great Senior Year and performed against some great competition but I would say the answer is he elite should be answered this season.. you can't mask "elite".. it will show through or it will not this year.. does not mean he can;t and won't get better.. but "ELITE" we will see

Look at the difference between what people like AJ McCarron or Braxton Miller do in a specific system with elite talent vs what Burrow did. His ability to throw people open was amazing last year and all professionals (not named Fred) who watched probably every throw he has had said the same exact thing. 

People still try to say Brady is a system QB with an average arm. What happened when he got an elite WR like Moss? Only put up record numbers and should have won the superbowl. If we're going to hold playing with elite players against people then literally no one from OSU, LSU, or Alabama should be top picks ever. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 05:30 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: And you know this cause?
I really can't believe you would stoop so low with these lies. And obviously he doesn't like to lose other wise he would have been a good little soldier and stayed at OSU as a back up.  Nope, apparently he was determined to make his own path and prove people wrong about him....

You completely missed my point.

If "hating to lose" was the reason Burrow was so great then he must not have hated to lose his first four years since he did nothing special during that time.

I wasn't saying Burrow doesn't hate to lose.  I was saying it was silly to claim that is why he was so good last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 02:59 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Of course your post are always about Dalton.  Amazing

And all of your posts are about me.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 12:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Any QB can bust, but Burrow looks about as safe as a QB prospect can be. He shined in a pro style offense against the best defenses college has to offer. He's exhibited resilience by overcoming a tough start in the championship game. His arm is at least a plus. His accuracy is great. His pocket awareness is great. Scrambling is a plus.

In this era, a player with such attributes simply doesn't bust (knock on wood). Is it possible he doesn't become a star? Obviously. I'd say his absolute floor is a slightly better version of Dalton.

I'm sure some people will get triggered by that name, but keep in mind I'm saying that's his floor. My point is that I'd lay money that he won't bust. Barring some kind of Ryan Leaf-esque hidden character flaws.

LSU ran a pro style offense in 2018, but not last year -- they ran a hybrid spread with RPO elements, almost exclusively out of the shotgun.  Less than 5% of Burrow's snaps were under center, and Burrow is on record saying he's more comfortable in that type of system.  The only thing pro style about their offense was the receiver route trees, which were loosely based on the west coast system.  It's a potential concern that was raised early on, but I'm sure our front office has vetted this.  Plus, Taylor and Callahan appear to be much more conducive to change, and so I'm sure they're already thinking about introducing RPO concepts into the offensive game plan based on Burrow's skill set. (Edited to clarify that I don't think Burrow is a system QB -- he has skills that will apply in any system. However, I do think that Brady's system catered to his strengths of accuracy, mobility, football smarts, etc. and contributed to h is success).

In my various pre-draft readings, I came across a quote from an SEC assistant coach in November 2018.  Amazing how far Burrow has come in just one year.  Wonder if this guy has changed his tune?

“Who is going to get exposed is the LSU quarterback [Burrow]. He’s not very good. He’s average. He’s a general and a game manager…” – Anonymous SEC Assistant on Joe Burrow prior to the 2018 matchup between LSU and Alabama.  
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:27 AM)shanebo Wrote: In my various pre-draft readings, I came across a quote from an SEC assistant coach in November 2018.  Amazing how far Burrow has come in just one year.  Wonder if this guy has changed his tune?

“Who is going to get exposed is the LSU quarterback [Burrow]. He’s not very good. He’s average. He’s a general and a game manager…” – Anonymous SEC Assistant on Joe Burrow prior to the 2018 matchup between LSU and Alabama.  

That assistant was correct when he said that in 2018.  Burrow was just 18-35, for 184 yards, 0 td, 1 interception, and (-7) rushing yards in a 29 point loss to Alabama.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That assistant was correct when he said that in 2018.  Burrow was just 18-35, for 184 yards, 0 td, 1 interception, and (-7) rushing yards in a 17 point loss to Alabama.

Sure, and a large part of that exposure was due to the system that Burrow was managing.  Pretty sure it was 29-0.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 11:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That assistant was correct when he said that in 2018.  Burrow was just 18-35, for 184 yards, 0 td, 1 interception, and (-7) rushing yards in a 29 point loss to Alabama.

So to be clear....If you are making the pick you're not taking the guy in 2019 who had a 202 QB rating, 5671 passing yards on 76% completion rate, 60 TD's, and 6 INT's in the SEC?
Reply/Quote