Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He's getting the staff he wants. What about players?
(01-15-2019, 08:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It really depends on how aggressive the new HC (whoever that may be) out of the gate and what positions need upgraded within his sense of urgency and approach? This team can be fixed pretty quickly, but how you do it and what’s available are key factors. If we brought in 50 coaches (in theory) as HC, all would approach a different way. So here’s hoping we win the lottery.

He clearly knew the staff and who he wanted to keep.  I'm thinking he has a pretty good idea about the players too.  I gotta say this guy looks loke he has a plan in place.  He probably walked into the interview with under his arm.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I think he's going to get a say in that sense.

I mean, how many of us expected the Bengals to fire their HC, OC, and DC this year? So far they've fired 7 coaches (may be missing some).

It's going to be interesting to see who Taylor brings, and how many.

I'm also interested in seeing how the Bengals evolve this team all the way around. What aspect will Taylor value the most in building up?

The three most important positions are QB, QB, and QB.

I'm very interested in what his plan is there ? My guess would be he'll stick with Dalton at least this year but ya never know he may have something else up his sleeve ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:39 PM)McC Wrote: He clearly knew the staff and who he wanted to keep.  I'm thinking he has a pretty good idea about the players too.  I gotta say this guy looks loke he has a plan in place.  He probably walked into the interview with under his arm.

I wouldn’t doubt it. Someone has either hit Katie’s “G” spot and has the run of the castle, or is very intelligent and made demands and they pursued. Heck, I’m still in shock over it all. I’m excited.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The three most important positions are QB, QB, and QB.

I'm very interested in what his plan is there ? My guess would be he'll stick with Dalton at least this year but ya never know he may have something else up his sleeve ?

I could see the Bengals doing what the Chiefs did with Mahomes.

Keep Dalton as a bridge QB, draft one, save him for a year, and next year try to trade Dalton for what you can.
Dalton has a VERY team friendly contract and he's only under contract until 2021.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I could see the Bengals doing what the Chiefs did with Mahomes.

Keep Dalton as a bridge QB, draft one, save him for a year, and next year try to trade Dalton for what you can.
Dalton has a VERY team friendly contract and he's only under contract until 2021.

That’s a possible scenario. Would make sense.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was skeptical about this at first but the more I think about it the more I think this theory has some merit.

The history between his family and that franchise lends a lot of merit to it. They are using his last name for goodness sakes. You know that man was pissed beyond belief watching the Browns win games and embarrass his team twice in the process. I truly do believe it has a little to do with the way things have started to take shape at PBS.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The three most important positions are QB, QB, and QB.

That usually is the first question asked a new coach.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: You would think he would get the roster he wants, at least to a point.  Will he get the FA's he wants?  The Rams spent some money to fill out their roster.  Does he get that luxury here?  Or even anything close to it?

Are they gonna give him carte blanche or what Marvin had or somewhere in between?

I gotta say--he must have knocked their sox off in the interview.  They didn't even seem to have a second interview, took out a lot of the staff, which included most of Marv's lifers and now they've let go of the guy they were giddy about hiring just a year ago and was, according to more than one, the best coach on the staff last year.  

When you read the tea leaves, you know you're in uncharted territory.  This relative babe in the woods is gonna be steering the ship, driving the bus, in a way that maybe even Marv was not allowed to.

And we get to sit around and wait for it to break ground.  Can't root for the Rams any more, sorry Whit.

Sure is looking like a clean sweep and Taylor bringing in the guys he wants and is comfortable with...

This is the way you change the culture, cannot believe they moved on from Pollack but if Sherman comes in he might be just as good. I liked Pollack and thought he did an admirable job but Glenn and Redmond were pretty damn terrible under him, no surprise on Hart.

It sure looks like Taylor is getting whatever he wants, hope he gets the same in FA.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I could see the Bengals doing what the Chiefs did with Mahomes.

I'd be all for a QB if they went out and signed some quality free agents at LB and Oline. Question is who do they take? Do they have to move up? Haskins or Murray?
Reply/Quote
Three ways to bring in talent:
FA
Draft
Trades

Nobody special in terms of OL in FA. Loaded with defensive players (DT, DE, S and 3-4 OLBs)

Draft seems ok in terms of OL, but several quality DTs. There are probably 4 OTs that are first and second round quality. But bad year for OGs (last year was a good year for interior OL).

With 8 new HC hires, there will be some players who may be available via trade. But OL is not one where quality players are let go in trades. That's why getting Glenn was a great move.

You have tons of 6'2" 240lb guys in the draft, but 6'5" 300lb+ OL guys who can play, is difficult to find. And each Team needs at least 7 of them.

So the OL will either have be fixed through trades or draft - which will take time. Letting Zeitler and Whit walk was absolutely irresponsible.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 09:01 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The history between his family and that franchise lends a lot of merit to it. They are using his last name for goodness sakes. You know that man was pissed beyond belief watching the Browns win games and embarrass his team twice in the process. I truly do believe it has a little to do with the way things have started to take shape at PBS.

Yep, the Browns sweeping us, not to mention their players fronting our coaches on the sidelines, put the writing on the wall.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 12:26 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I'd be all for a QB if they went out and signed some quality free agents at LB and Oline. Question is who do they take? Do they have to move up? Haskins or Murray?

I harbor serious doubts about Murray.  If he slid to the second round I'd maybe consider it, but I wouldn't take him at #11.  Nevermind the fact that he is a flight risk for baseball, but his height concerns me.  Even by short QB standards, the guy is short.  He'd be going up against guys that are bigger, stronger, and faster than what he faced in college.  You would have to completely customize your offense to him and just pray that he doesn't get hit very often.

I could be wrong, and I have no problem with being proven wrong, but I'd rather he prove me wrong on another team.    
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 09:25 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I harbor serious doubts about Murray.  If he slid to the second round I'd maybe consider it, but I wouldn't take him at #11.  Nevermind the fact that he is a flight risk for baseball, but his height concerns me.  Even by short QB standards, the guy is short.  He'd be going up against guys that are bigger, stronger, and faster than what he faced in college.  You would have to completely customize your offense to him and just pray that he doesn't get hit very often.

I could be wrong, and I have no problem with being proven wrong, but I'd rather he prove me wrong on another team.    

Yep, 

Murray in my mind is a giant risk ! 

He may overcome all and set the NFL on fire as a QB, but I highly doubt it he's just to short and to light. I'd say best case scenario he turns into some kind of hybrid QB/RB/slot WR gadget play guy. Sort of like Hill for the Saints.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW don't expect Taylor to get 4 first team All Pro's added in free agency like McVey got with the Rams.

Not trashing McVey, but I bet his record would be worse without those 4.

Very good point.
People need to remember that Havenstein was a Jeff Fisher pick, not McVay's. Saffold was already there too before McVay came in.
McVay was able to bring in Whitworth and Sullivan as FAs and then pick Austin Blythe off waivers when Indy cut him, but he hasn't drafted any crazy awesome OL talent yet in his two years of being there.
Any coach who comes to Cincinnati likely isn't going to get to bring in a top-tier OT like the Rams did with Whitworth. They'll have to draft most of their talent and groom them. Or pick up a solid B-tier FA and groom him up.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 09:01 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The history between his family and that franchise lends a lot of merit to it. They are using his last name for goodness sakes. You know that man was pissed beyond belief watching the Browns win games and embarrass his team twice in the process. I truly do believe it has a little to do with the way things have started to take shape at PBS.

I honestly think your theory has merit, and it's a combination of that, and him letting the "kids" take over.  We've NEVER seen Mike Brown this aggressive.  I'm thinking it's both of those things.  As fred noted, it all started last season.  I feel Marvin was given one last shot by the new folks running the day to day operations, and Marv didn't deliver.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 12:56 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I honestly think your theory has merit, and it's a combination of that, and him letting the "kids" take over.  We've NEVER seen Mike Brown this aggressive.  I'm thinking it's both of those things.  As fred noted, it all started last season.  I feel Marvin was given one last shot by the new folks running the day to day operations, and Marv didn't deliver.

I think the KC game was the moment. Embarrassment on National level.

I felt terrible for us and for him. As the camera focused on him, sitting alone with that cap that seemed he purchased from the local truck stop.....

We reap what we sow.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 01:35 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I think the KC game was the moment. Embarrassment on National level.

I felt terrible for us and for him. As the camera focused on him, sitting alone with that cap that seemed he purchased from the local truck stop.....

We reap what we sow.

Could be, that was definitely an embarrassment.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Believe many will be upset when the new coach endorses Dalton and does not draft one early nor trade for one either.

QB is not the biggest need at all.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe many will be upset when the new coach endorses Dalton and does not draft one early nor trade for one either.

Although I'm up for any change they bring about, I agree it's not the biggest need.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 02:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe many will be upset when the new coach endorses Dalton and does not draft one early nor trade for one either.

Public endorsement of players does not mean privately they are looking for better solutions. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote