Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He's getting the staff he wants. What about players?
(01-18-2019, 08:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Building a winner is the first step to building a dynasty. Dynasties are made of great coaches, front offices that are creative in using the salary cap and unselfish players who will work their salaries to benefit their teams. Lets hope the next generation of the Brown family is better than this one.

Amen.

(01-19-2019, 01:42 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I wouldn’t be excited with Murray. Electric college player, but my main concern with him is size and arm strength. He is all of 5’9 and weighs around 175-180. He is a LITTLE guy. Completely anecdotal, but I am 6’ and 190. I work for ESPN during the season and living in Oklahoma, I work a lot of OU games. I saw Murray quite a bite and stood next to him multiple times. He is just a small dude.

I also feel like too many of his passes to the boundaries don’t have adequate zip on them. They hang a little bit.

Really? Murray seems to have a great arm and is very accurate. I definately agree on the size factor but the guy is a baseball player like Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes. But you are right he is a small dude, but arm strength i don't see to be a problem with the dude.

His biggest problem is his size and being able to look out of a pocket with these giants in front of him, but it is not like they are much smaller at Oklahoma on the line. I wouldn't hate it if Taylor thought Murray was his guy and we got an O-lineman and Linebacker in FA already. I like Haskins but i don't know if he has that IT factor, Murray seems like he might. Electric on the run and a very good passer.

I like Murray more than Lamar Jackson for these very reasons, but yeah, he be small.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The three most important positions are QB, QB, and QB.

I'm very interested in what his plan is there ? My guess would be he'll stick with Dalton at least this year but ya never know he may have something else up his sleeve ?

Tiger I think you maybe more right than wrong...

From an interview with Duke Tobin: 

It looks like who is ever the guy is going to have Dalton as his guy as he heads into his ninth year and turns 32 in mid-season.

“We're very comfortable with Andy,” Tobin said. “We think he's got a number of years left. We feel like we can win with him. But with any position group, we don't just throw away the whole draft board at a group just because we're satisfied with who we have. We'll evaluate them and look at them and see if there's an opportunity to add a guy at every position.”

The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 01:57 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger I think you maybe more right than wrong...

It looks like who is ever the guy is going to have Dalton as his guy as he heads into his ninth year and turns 32 in mid-season.

“We're very comfortable with Andy,” Tobin said. “We think he's got a number of years left. We feel like we can win with him. But with any position group, we don't just throw away the whole draft board at a group just because we're satisfied with who we have. We'll evaluate them and look at them and see if there's an opportunity to add a guy at every position.”

That but is something new from the Bengals. Under Marvin the team didn't want a QB controversy and Marvin mentioned that point several times. To prove it, the Bengals have passed on QBs in the draft who would have, at the very least, given Dalton a run for his money.

Also, the team passed up an opportunity to trade for Phillip Rivers when he was available a few years ago.

Then there's that word comfortable again. That's Mike Brown talking. I guess he's not completely gone yet.

Reply/Quote
I think it's fair to say that the team needs to sign at least 2 impact (as in better than good starters) free agents before the draft. They can certainly afford it.

I get that they don't like shelling out big cash to guards, so I'd look at OTs. Trent Brown would be great, and the Pats don't always want to pay when the time comes to re-up offensive linemen. He's also proven he can play both sides. There really aren't any offensive linemen on this team that you'd call good. Boling is solid, but the others have been bad. They can't draft 3 guys to come in and develop in one summer, so suck it up and shell out some money.

Linebacker is another obvious hole to fill. These are both spots where the team doesn't need merely serviceable players to fill holes. They need players that are better than what they have to anchor position groups.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 01:57 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger I think you maybe more right than wrong...

The right way to go about it. I don't find Duke Tobin to be as dumb as some.

(01-24-2019, 02:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: That but is something new from the Bengals. Under Marvin the team didn't want a QB controversy and Marvin mentioned that point several times. To prove it, the Bengals have passed on QBs in the draft who would have, at the very least, given Dalton a run for his money.

Also, the team passed up an opportunity to trade for Phillip Rivers when he was available a few years ago.

Then there's that word comfortable again. That's Mike Brown talking. I guess he's not completely gone yet.

Eh, Dalton is a pretty solid QB. I don't think many teams would just act like he was a schlub. Solid starter with an accurate arm and one of the quickest releases in the NFL. Give the guy SOME credit. I can understand why you would be comfortable with him as your starter going into the regular season...

The postseason is yet to be determined under a new coach.

I don't necessarily think Mikey is behind Duke's quote here.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 03:27 PM)samhain Wrote: I think it's fair to say that the team needs to sign at least 2 impact (as in better than good starters) free agents before the draft. They can certainly afford it.

I get that they don't like shelling out big cash to guards, so I'd look at OTs. Trent Brown would be great, and the Pats don't always want to pay when the time comes to re-up offensive linemen. He's also proven he can play both sides. There really aren't any offensive linemen on this team that you'd call good. Boling is solid, but the others have been bad. They can't draft 3 guys to come in and develop in one summer, so suck it up and shell out some money.

Linebacker is another obvious hole to fill. These are both spots where the team doesn't need merely serviceable players to fill holes. They need players that are better than what they have to anchor position groups.

Agreed Sam, Seantrel Henderson and KJ Wright are the other players i am pushing for besides Trent Brown.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 03:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The right way to go about it. I don't find Duke Tobin to be as dumb as some.

Eh, Dalton is a pretty solid QB. I don't think many teams would just act like he was a schlub. Solid starter with an accurate arm and one of the quickest releases in the NFL. Give the guy SOME credit. I can understand why you would be comfortable with him as your starter going into the regular season...

The postseason is yet to be determined under a new coach.

I don't necessarily think Mikey is behind Duke's quote here.

Quite a few teams would be pissy happy to get Dalton. The knock on him has always been the post season and a few fans like to pretend that QBs are THE team and nobody else matters AS IF Tom Brady would succeed behind a Jr High offensive line and 4 receivers with broken hands and a running back using a walker..  Put Andy behind a great Oline, give him great receivers and Joe running the ball along with a decent defense and Andy becomes one of the all time greats overnight..  That hasn't happened as of yet, but we shall see. Personally I'd love to see Andy lead us to the superbowl win or not. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 10:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: Quite a few teams would be pissy happy to get Dalton. The knock on him has always been the post season and a few fans like to pretend that QBs are THE team and nobody else matters AS IF Tom Brady would succeed behind a Jr High offensive line and 4 receivers with broken hands and a running back using a walker..  Put Andy behind a great Oline, give him great receivers and Joe running the ball along with a decent defense and Andy becomes one of the all time greats overnight..  That hasn't happened as of yet, but we shall see. Personally I'd love to see Andy lead us to the superbowl win or not. 

I agree, we shall see how Dalton does under a new HC in the postseason.

It is not a coincidence pretty much everybody sucked once we got there under Marv.

Andy is a great man, all class, would love for as you say for him to lead us to a SB win.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 02:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: That but is something new from the Bengals. Under Marvin the team didn't want a QB controversy and Marvin mentioned that point several times. To prove it, the Bengals have passed on QBs in the draft who would have, at the very least, given Dalton a run for his money.

It means they know what they have and can build around it.

which is better than an unknown at the position when other areas need attention
Reply/Quote