Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Coach Calling Plays
This is a big deal, especially if we have success. Losing an O Coordinator can really set a team back. I'm very excited to see him as the play caller. I'm not a Dalton hater, but not a big fan either. I think Dalton and Goff are not that different of QB's....Dalton can excel in this offense.

WhoDey2
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He basically said in his presser that he has been watching Dalton since his high school days in Katy, TX.  Said he ran the TCU offense flawlessly, and was very impressed by that offense.  He feels Andy is a perfect fit for this scheme and will play well in it.  Sucks for the haters. LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: He basically said in his presser that he has been watching Dalton since his high school days in Katy, TX.  Said he ran the TCU offense flawlessly, and was very impressed by that offense.  He feels Andy is a perfect fit for this scheme and will play well in it.  Sucks for the haters. LMAO

Contrary to what people have tried to say, most first time coaches like to at least start their careers with a stable veteran at QB. If you notice a trend of first time coaches getting fired it's usually linked back to a 1st round QB who doesn't work out under their watch. 
Reply/Quote
Does this change anything with Brian Callahan joining the team? I’m guessing not.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Contrary to what people have tried to say, most first time coaches like to at least start their careers with a stable veteran at QB. If you notice a trend of first time coaches getting fired it's usually linked back to a 1st round QB who doesn't work out under their watch. 

Yup.  I'm intrigued at what he will be able to do with the offense as a whole.  He seemed to be chomping at the bit when asked about the skill positions.  I think Gio will benefit immensely.  With that being said, I'm also looking forward to see what he does at the QB position moving forward.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:30 PM)Takedown Wrote: Does this change anything with Brian Callahan joining the team? I’m guessing not.

Didn't want to discuss coaching hires at this time....but spoke well of current offensive coaches. To answer the question, I don't think it will change anything there.

Reply/Quote
I agree Bernard can find a bigger role with the new scheme. I'm also a Ross fan, and see untapped potential there. Boyd should also excel as the slot guy.

Mixon benefits the most, he's the T. Gurley now.....I expect a big season for 28

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
In all seriousness I believe Dalton > Goff. I’ve watched a lot of Rams games and I would say Dalton is more accurate on the short-mid range throws. Dalton CAN scramble when he needs to and I think he has more ability than Goff there as well. Add in the brains just from sheer experience and Dalton is better all things considered. Both the Bengals and Rams have talent and they both have very similar talent in the specialty positions. If Ross can grow as a player and the staff utilize him correctly, we essentially have comparable talent at the skilled positions.

Please God I hope Taylor addresses the offensive line and does so aggressively. If he does that I think this offense will blow the top off the league next year——top 5 for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:30 PM)Takedown Wrote: Does this change anything with Brian Callahan joining the team? I’m guessing not.

Brian will get team alignments set.  Sort of what Bieniemy has done in KC.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Brian will get team alignments set.  Sort of what Bieniemy has done in KC.  

I too was thinking of the KC situation as an exact example. Cool.

Reply/Quote
It seems like it's a tough ask for a coach to call plays and be the HC. He's going to have to put in 60-80 hours a week to be successful.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It seems like it's a tough ask for a coach to call plays and be the HC. He's going to have to put in 60-80 hours a week to be successful.

He watched McVay do it in LA, I'm sure he is aware what is required. 
Reply/Quote
Personally, I like it and think it works well, especially since Taylor will have a knowledgable group of assistants.

He can call the plays to his offense's strengths and also adjust his play calling on a play-by-play basis to fit the changing circumstances of the game.

He's not going to need to do much coaching on defense or even in-game adjustments on defense if we land a guy like Del Rio like it's looking like we will.

I also think that it will benefit Dalton just having the plays and game planning coming from the head guy, especially if he takes any of Dalton's input on either of those. If nothing else, psychologically I think it benefits Dalton just having the plays come from the head coach and gives him the "go out and take it" mentality.

It puts more control into his hands, and it looks/sounds like AJ and Dalton are buying in, so everyone else should, too, and it looks like a new era in Cincinnati!

They say expressions can tell you a lot, and it looks like Dalton's saying "I love this........ it's a new chapter!"

[Image: mp3zzlik2wbpic8vv0q1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: He watched McVay do it in LA, I'm sure he is aware what is required. 

I agree with this. Just from his presser today you can tell he’s full of energy and confidence. The guy brings what we’ve been craving which is the exact opposite of what ML could ever do here. Dare I say, “swagger”. He will prepare this team 100% better than ML did for prime time games.

Reply/Quote
no more screen passes or arrow routes on 3rd and 13 for a 5 yd gain anymore then punt.
praise the Lord.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 06:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: no more screen passes or arrow routes on 3rd and 13 for a 5 yd gain anymore then punt.
praise the Lord.

Hopefully we can finally implement Gio into our offense at the same time as Mixon. Maybe as a situational slot guy or for misdirection. Seems like Gio when healthy has been neglected. So annoying, but glad to see we have a coach who isn’t afraid to do things out of the norm. Gotta be creative.

Reply/Quote
As of right now I'm a bit concerned about defense. Unless they land a very accomplished and good DC who can work well with both players and the HC it might create quite a disconnect. 
JDR seems like the guy, but so far as much as I can make out nothing is set there.. I almost wonder if at some point they might consider seeing if Marvin might be interested and if so what kind of environment his demotion and rehire might create. I certainly don't expect that to happen , but they could do worse than having Marv as the chief of the defense..
Can anyone even imagine how such a scenario might wash out? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 06:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: As of right now I'm a bit concerned about defense. Unless they land a very accomplished and good DC who can work well with both players and the HC it might create quite a disconnect. 
JDR seems like the guy, but so far as much as I can make out nothing is set there.. I almost wonder if at some point they might consider seeing if Marvin might be interested and if so what kind of environment his demotion and rehire might create. I certainly don't expect that to happen , but they could do worse than having Marv as the chief of the defense..
Can anyone even imagine how such a scenario might wash out? 

I don't think its a good idea simply because Marvin is too comfortable in PBS. We need Taylor to lead this team.

Reply/Quote
Taylor has never called plays in an NFL game.

Taylor has never been a HC in an NFL game.

I hope he isn't biting off too much too fast.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 06:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's not going to need to do much coaching on defense or even in-game adjustments on defense if we land a guy like Del Rio like it's looking like we will.

Del Rio will not be our DC.
Reply/Quote