Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Coach Rankings by Alex Marvez
(06-10-2015, 01:31 AM)Benton Wrote: Honestly, you could exchange Marvin with most of the guys 20-32 and get the same mediocre results. We've got a solid organization and a good roster. We're a good HC away from being the team to beat. Marvin isn't that coach.

This just is not true.  

Our roster is good, but the coaches get credit for much of that.  Many of our better players were undrafted, or low round picks, or pulled from the scrap heap after being rejected by other teams.

If any of the coaches could do it then we would see every team making the playoffs four years in a row.

Your claim that coaches don't do anything during the regular season is absurd.

And making the playoffs 4 years in a row and winning more games than all but 7 other teams in the league over that period is not "mediocre".
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 02:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true.  

Our roster is good, but the coaches get credit for much of that.  Many of our better players were undrafted, or low round picks, or pulled from the scrap heap after being rejected by other teams.

If any of the coaches could do it then we would see every team making the playoffs four years in a row.

Your claim that coaches don't do anything during the regular season is absurd.

And making the playoffs 4 years in a row and winning more games than all but 7 other teams in the league over that period is not "mediocre".

I do credit the coaches for turning those guys into gold. Coaches. Es. Not coach. I also credit the scouts who found them, the trainers who keep them on track, members of the team who keep them in line, personnel who get them signed instead of letting then go to another team.

Do you honestly think Marvin does the work of 20-25 people? That he's out scouting every jc player and watching how much his linemen are eating?

It doesn't. And that's led to some successful, non-mediocre regular seasons. The mediocre part I'm referring to is the post-season, which is the biggest judge of a coach. We've had almost the same exact results in every Marvin playoff game despite three oc's, two qb's, and a slew of other players. But I'm guessing you think it's a coincidence we abandon the run every playoff game despite those changes on that side of the ball? Or that our second half set up is miserable despite different oc and dc?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 09:47 AM)Benton Wrote: I do credit the coaches for turning those guys into gold. Coaches. Es. Not coach. I also credit the scouts who found them, the trainers who keep them on track, members of the team who keep them in line, personnel who get them signed instead of letting then go to another team.

Do you honestly think Marvin does the work of 20-25 people? That he's out scouting every jc player and watching how much his linemen are eating?

Do you think the Bengals scouting and support staff is that much superior to every other team in the league?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 09:47 AM)Benton Wrote:  The mediocre part I'm referring to is the post-season, which is the biggest judge of a coach. We've had almost the same exact results in every Marvin playoff game despite three oc's, two qb's, and a slew of other players. But I'm guessing you think it's a coincidence we abandon the run every playoff game despite those changes on that side of the ball? Or that our second half set up is miserable despite different oc and dc?

I agree that Marvin is poor in the playoffs.  But making the playoffs is better for a coach then not making the playoffs.

So how do you have Marvin ranked 25th or lower?
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that Marvin is poor in the playoffs.  But making the playoffs is better for a coach then not making the playoffs.

If the Bengals can't make it past the opening weekend soon they may actually become "evidence" that making the playoffs isn't necessarily better than not making the playoffs! Ninja

But on a more serious note, I think at this point I'd trade the playoff-making consistency for a team like the Giants or Steelers that can either miss the playoffs, win the division, or go in as the 6th seed that "shouldn't be there" but go on a tear and do damage, regardless.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Do you think the Bengals scouting and support staff is that much superior to every other team in the league?

Every, no. But I think we're in the top 12. Maybe top 10. If we had a better HC, definitely top 10.

And just to make sure, that's staff, not players. I wouldn't rank any team until the season starts. I'm talking only about the scouts, coaches, trainers, management, etc.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that Marvin is poor in the playoffs.  But making the playoffs is better for a coach then not making the playoffs.

Wink

I explained that a couple posts ago. We don't agree on how to evaluate the success of a head coach versus evaluating the success of an organization, so I'm not going over it post after post.
Reply/Quote