Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Head coaching grades for all 32 current HC's
Marvin Lewis next to Jeff Fisher. That validates the list well enough for me.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 11:59 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Marvin Lewis next to Jeff Fisher. That validates the list well enough for me.

Fisher isn't coaching right now. I updated the list at post #95. 

Marv is now sandwiched between Mike Zimmer and Dirk Koetter at #19.

Most of the coaches below Marv have little to no experience. The only seasoned veteran coach behind Marv is Jack Del Rio.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2016, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't think a 8-8 division champion should get more points than an 11-5 wild card team

Shouldn't 0-7, an all-time NFL record in playoff futility, provide for double extra negative points somewhere in this calculation?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 08:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Shouldn't 0-7, an all-time NFL record in playoff futility, provide for double extra negative points somewhere in this calculation?

No, because making the playoffs is a positive thing.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2017, 09:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No, because making the playoffs is a positive thing.

Yes, but it's the all time worst playoff achievement, so it shouldn't get nearly as many points as those who have actually won a playoff game and it should have a lower calculation than those who have only one or two playoff failures.

I got it! Add in a bonus for consecutive playoff wins and a penalty for consecutive playoff losses. That would put the Marv where he belongs.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2017, 10:25 AM)BengalChris Wrote: it should have a lower calculation than those who have only one or two playoff failures.

No.

No matter how bad you hate to lose a playoff game it is still better to make the playoffs and lose than to not make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.

No matter how bad you hate to lose a playoff game it is still better to make the playoffs and lose than to not make the playoffs.

I don't know. 0-7 is something that no one else has ever accomplished and five of those were in consecutive years. Doesn't setting an all time NFL worst record get some negative points?

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 08:09 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't know. 0-7 is something that no one else has ever accomplished and five of those were in consecutive years. Doesn't setting an all time NFL worst record get some negative points?

I don't know why this is so difficlut for you to grasp.

Making the playoffs and losing is better than not making the playoffs.  Losing in the playoffs is bad, but not as bad as missing the playoffs.

So Marvin gets positive points for making the playoffs but not as many positive points as making the playoffs and winning.  Making the playoffs is NEVER a negative thing.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 09:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why this is so difficlut for you to grasp.

Making the playoffs and losing is better than not making the playoffs.  Losing in the playoffs is bad, but not as bad as missing the playoffs.

So Marvin gets positive points for making the playoffs but not as many positive points as making the playoffs and winning.  Making the playoffs is NEVER a negative thing.

I grasp it all just fine. A coach with a playoff win gets less points than Marvin who is 0 for. I just don't agree. Bengals fans would happily trade one of those awful playoff performances if we could have progressed in one of the other years.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 08:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I grasp it all just fine. A coach with a playoff win gets less points than Marvin who is 0 for. I just don't agree. Bengals fans would happily trade one of those awful playoff performances if we could have progressed in one of the other years.

I don't even understand what you are trying to say now.

A coach with a playoff win does not get less points than Marvin for that season.  He gets more.

Which coach was better

Coach "A".... .408 win% ......2 winning season in 9 years..... 1 playoff win
Coach "B".... .533 win% ......7 winning season in 14 years... 0 playoff wins
Reply/Quote