Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading Into The Unknown
As training camp is a mere nine days away I think it's appropriate to reiterate why this season is so unique.

Hardened vets like Whitworth, Peko and Zeitler are gone, and replacing them are question marks in terms of productivity and leadership. Dynamic rookies by the names of Ross and Mixon enter the fold along the likes of Green, Bernard and Hill. Dalton is about to ease into his seventh season as a pro behind a (at best) "Verdict-Is-Out" offensive line.

And of course there is Marv who is about to embark on his 15th season at the helm, and for the first time in six years entering a season on the heels of not just missing the playoffs but missing out on a winning record.

I'ts going to be a helluva ride. Let's just hope it's going to be a fun one.
Reply/Quote
We're about to find out. But even great teams on paper can and do occasionally have lousy seasons through a variety of different reasons, injuries, coaching, player contract disputes and so on.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I doubt we miss the playoffs again, unless we get a few major injuries. The OL will just determine if we will be a good team, or one of, if not the best team. The defense and offensive skilled positions are absolutely loaded.
Reply/Quote
Looking forward to the season. I don't think they will be that bad, and will only improve as the season is played. Honestly, if these guys do their jobs, we could have the season we've been waiting for decades to finally arrive. Finger/toes crossed.

Reply/Quote
We now have ejected all that losing mentality dead weight, and refreshed with young, fast, confident players who are going to take the league by storm this year..... Wink
Reply/Quote
I'm more conservative than most. The oline situation, play calling, having the best players on the field, LBs, and clock management are my biggest concerns.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:05 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I'm more conservative than most. The oline situation, play calling, having the best players on the field, LBs, and clock management are my biggest concerns.

I actually like the LB's. I think Burffict and Minter are a good combo and Vigil showed some good things last year as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 01:13 AM)JumboTron Wrote: As training camp is a mere nine days away I think it's appropriate to reiterate why this season is so unique.  

Hardened vets like Whitworth, Peko and Zeitler are gone, and replacing them are question marks in terms of productivity and leadership. Dynamic rookies by the names of Ross and Mixon enter the fold along the likes of Green, Bernard and Hill.   Dalton is about to ease into his seventh season as a pro behind a (at best) "Verdict-Is-Out" offensive line.

And of course there is Marv who is about to embark on his 15th season at the helm, and for the first time in six years entering a season on the heels of not just missing the playoffs but missing out on a winning record.  

I'ts going to be a helluva ride.  Let's just hope it's going to be a fun one.

With the sole exception of Whitworth, I think this team didn't lose anything that they didn't replace with at least equal and, more often, superior talent.  They drafted some speedy, strong DEs, that will no doubt help the pass rush and rotation.  They have some talented young players like Ross, Mixon, Uzomah, and Core that teams will see a lot more of this year.

Then there is their QB, fresh off another "ranking" of the lower end of middle of the pack.  Dalton was being talked about as a potential MVP candidate in 2005 before the injury.  Last season, he had to break in two new WRs that were brought in to start.  He had virtually no running game and even less of a kicking game.  All four of the TE/HBs were injured at some point of the season.  Dude still threw for 4200 yards and only 7 INTs.  

If the team stays mostly healhty, they aren't going to just be good.  They are going to beat the ever-loving shit out of people.  Oh, and when they get a lead and teams have to pass?  Meet out new DEs Willis and Lawson, who trot out with a fresh Hardison to join Geno on what could be the best pass-rush tandem in years.  Add Billings to that as well if Glasgow can help in the rotation and keep him fresh.  

I have never had more optimism for this team.  The skeptics will say I am setting myself up for a fall.  Maybe.  I was crushed after that playoff loss in 2005.  I had never felt so much energy leave a stadium after Palmer went down.  I don't care.  Looking forward, this team has speed, talent, and experience on all three phases of the game.  

Time to hunt in the Jungle. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: I actually like the LB's. I think Burffict and Minter are a good combo and Vigil showed some good things last year as a rookie.

Coverage is my concern. Not worried about running plays as much. But damn, I'm worried those quick passes in the middle....

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: I actually like the LB's. I think Burffict and Minter are a good combo and Vigil showed some good things last year as a rookie.

Beat me to it.  I am not trying to argue with Jeremy, but they jettison guys like Maualuga and Dansby for guys like Minter and drafted burners like Jordan Evans that will immediately help in special teams.   I know a lot of folks are down on Vinny Rey, but the guy knows his assignments better than anyone not named Burfict, and has made big plays in big spots.

And speaking of Burfict:  IMHO, the best LB in the league, on a contract year, with talent around him and in the best shape of his NFL career.  I am not worried of this position group.   If I was piggy, I would be afraid of them.  No more check downs to a TE or RB that is WIDE OPEN because the LBs can't stay with them.  

And, we have the inevitable start of the HOF career of my guy Fej, as he gets some snaps at nickel backer.   Cool
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Beat me to it.  I am not trying to argue with Jeremy, but they jettison guys like Maualuga and Dansby for guys like Minter and drafted burners like Jordan Evans that will immediately help in special teams.   I know a lot of folks are down on Vinny Rey, but the guy knows his assignments better than anyone not named Burfict, and has made big plays in big spots.

And speaking of Burfict:  IMHO, the best LB in the league, on a contract year, with talent around him and in the best shape of his NFL career.  I am not worried of this position group.   If I was piggy, I would be afraid of them.  No more check downs to a TE or RB that is WIDE OPEN because the LBs can't stay with them.  

And, we have the inevitable start of the HOF career of my guy Fej, as he gets some snaps at nickel backer.   Cool

No argument is necessary. Coverage is a concern. You and other can hype up this  'No more check downs to a TE or RB' speculation, but I have a feeling it'll be the go-to play on 3rd down. And they'll succeed more often than not. Why? Because the PLAY ON THE FIELD has led me to believe so. Until proven otherwise, speculate all you want. 

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:58 AM)jeremydc Wrote: No argument is necessary. Coverage is a concern. You and other can hype up this  'No more check downs to a TE or RB' speculation, but I have a feeling it'll be the go-to play on 3rd down. And they'll succeed more often than not. Why? Because the PLAY ON THE FIELD has led me to believe so. Until proven otherwise, speculate all you want. 

Did you see Vigil, when he finally got a start make an awesome defense of Pitta (I think it was fourth down, no less) to knock a ball away from an easy 6 yard completion?  That was on the field. 

Burfict had INTs, including a pick 6, when he was playing 100% and not fat.  

It will likely be Burfict and Vigil in the nickel package and Josh Shaw will likely win the job over Dennard (who I think is miscast) for slot CB.  Shaw had a nice game-ending INT last year against the Jets in week 1. 

I am just so glad I wont see a QB find Maualuga, and throw to his spot.  Dansby did a lot with an old, tired body just by smarts and experience, but the synergy of having speedy LBs, safeties, and CBs all over the defense will pay huge dividends this year.  And Fej was running step for step with Mixon on a pass route in the OTAs....(I had to mention Fej again).  

I get the hesitation of being all-in on this position group, but they are going to make you very, very happy. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Did you see Vigil, when he finally got a start make an awesome defense of Pitta (I think it was fourth down, no less) to knock a ball away from an easy 6 yard completion?  That was on the field. 

Burfict had INTs, including a pick 6, when he was playing 100% and not fat.  

It will likely be Burfict and Vigil in the nickel package and Josh Shaw will likely win the job over Dennard (who I think is miscast) for slot CB.  Shaw had a nice game-ending INT last year against the Jets in week 1. 

I am just so glad I wont see a QB find Maualuga, and throw to his spot.  Dansby did a lot with an old, tired body just by smarts and experience, but the synergy of having speedy LBs, safeties, and CBs all over the defense will pay huge dividends this year.  And Fej was running step for step with Mixon on a pass route in the OTAs....(I had to mention Fej again).  

I get the hesitation of being all-in on this position group, but they are going to make you very, very happy. 

Good points.  However, I'll just wait until the players are on the field before I get on your hype train. 

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 10:07 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Good points.  However, I'll just wait until the players are on the field before I get on your hype train. 

There is no expiration date on your ticket.   LMAO

I did just list three specific guys (Burfict, Vigil, and Shaw) that have shown it on the field, and Minter has shown it in AZ, but I hear ya.  There will always be room for you.  
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:48 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Coverage is my concern. Not worried about running plays as much. But damn, I'm worried those quick passes in the middle....

Coverage wise they are really good, no concern there. Minter's issue is more missed tackles than not being good in coverage. Burfict over the last 10 games last year was the best all around LB in the league. We are going to be fine there.

There are a lot of other things to be more concerned about than that. I am actually more concerned about CB over LB.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 10:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There is no expiration date on your ticket.   LMAO

I did just list three specific guys (Burfict, Vigil, and Shaw) that have shown it on the field, and Minter has shown it in AZ, but I hear ya.  There will always be room for you.  

Hope it doesn't leave without me!  Wink

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 10:28 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Hope it doesn't leave without me!  Wink

Based on my 48 year history, the train seems to be going around a circular track, so if you miss it once it will be back around!

Seriously, though, more excited and optimistic than I can remember.  I worried about the 05 defense.  I worried about the lack of a running game in the Green/Dalton Era.  I worried about the secondary during the transition from Hall/Joseph.  

I have faith that every level of the defense has depth and talent, the offense is loaded, and the special teams looks like a track team.  And, we have a kicker!
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:05 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I'm more conservative than most. The oline situation, play calling, having the best players on the field, LBs, and clock management are my biggest concerns.

The oline situation - No doubt in my mind #1 concern

play calling - I think Oline issues has a lot to do with how much of the playbook can be used, last year our OL was very bad so no way Z can call plays with reckless abandon. As it was, Dalton was hit the second most of any NFL QB

clock management - I feel clock management has actually been pretty good the past 5 years. I see some wasted timeouts (I see this almost every NFL game) at times, but I just don't se poor clock management by Dalton or Lewis being a major concern.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 09:48 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Coverage is my concern. Not worried about running plays as much. But damn, I'm worried those quick passes in the middle....

Good point. Hopefully a faster LB group will help. But I also think the design of our defense is to keep everything in front of us, then tackle well and hard.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
More than anything, I hope and pray we can get through training camp and preseason without any major injuries. After last year, I'm more worried than ever. Early injuries destroyed us last year.

With that being said, the offensive line scares me now more than ever before. I won't feel any optimism about that unit until I see it on the field. Right now, I view it as a huge weakness. One that I believe could be the main reason we only win 4 or 5 games. I hope Dalton has worked on his mobility and elusiveness, and that McCarron is ready...

The loss of Peko, Maualuga and Nugent are HUGE additions by subtraction, IMO. Simply not having these guys take the field for us makes me feel very good. Of course, the jury is still out on Billings, Minter and Bullock/Elliott but I'm excited to see some young replacements.

I'm very pumped to see what Ross, Mixon, Malone and especially Carlson can do. Can't sleep on Cody Core either. Call me crazy but I believe Core can be something special, I just hope Marvin gives him a fair shot this year (i.e. "Figure out a way" to get him in on some plays... It took Marvin almost 3 years to "figure out a way" to get Jerome Simpson on the field).

At best, I could see this team winning 11 or 12 games this season. At worst, I can see them winning 4 or 5. If I had to guess I'd say they win 8 or 9 and maybe squeak into the playoffs. Time will tell
Reply/Quote