Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heat Pump Question for HVAC Techs
So if anyone is knowledgeable about heat pump repair, please answer if you can.

Heat pump system is roughly 20 years old. In late summer it froze over, and I called the company that installed it. They found that it was leaking freon from the inside coil and stated the part is no longer available. The charge was approximately 60% of what it should be, but that type of freon is no longer used so would cost in excess of $750 to bring it up to full charge with no idea as to how long the charge would last. Therefore replacement is the only rational solution. So I have been getting quotes for replacement systems since then. Last month the power bill tripled, and it seems the outside unit is not cycling on, however there is a constant hum when it should by on.

So, my question is this. Do systems have shutoffs that would create a similar situation if the freon level gets too low? Or should the outside unit still come on even if it were void of freon? I'm trying to figure out if it's possible that this is a separate issue like a bad fan motor, or capacitor, or something not related to the freon level. This could help me to determine if there is a band aid that can buy me some more time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2023, 11:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So if anyone is knowledgeable about heat pump repair, please answer if you can.

Heat pump system is roughly 20 years old.  In late summer it froze over, and I called the company that installed it.  They found that it was leaking freon from the inside coil and stated the part is no longer available.  The charge was approximately 60% of what it should be, but that type of freon is no longer used so would cost in excess of $750 to bring it up to full charge with no idea as to how long the charge would last.  Therefore replacement is the only rational solution.  So I have been getting quotes for replacement systems since then.  Last month the power bill tripled, and it seems the outside unit is not cycling on, however there is a constant hum when it should by on.

So, my question is this.  Do systems have shutoffs that would create a similar situation if the freon level gets too low?  Or should the outside unit still come on even if it were void of freon?  I'm trying to figure out if it's possible that this is a separate issue like a bad fan motor, or capacitor, or something not related to the freon level.  This could help me to determine if there is a band aid that can buy me some more time.

Not sure if you've ever heard of a guy called Steve Lavimoniere on YouTube. He has hundreds of videos on plumbing and hvac, just from watching him all the time, sounds like a "bad cap" you can get a voltmeter on that puppy and test the various connectors . You can also tell if it's all puffy/bloated looking 

Here's one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoijP2fetc
Reply/Quote