Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heath Miller Retires
(02-21-2016, 02:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/12/14/who-dey-vs-who-dat/?_r=0
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/12/05/origin-who-dey-murky-its-message-not/76617696/

Although the origins of both chants are murky, it's generally accepted that Bengals fans began heavily using the Who Dey chant in the 1981 Super Bowl season.

Saints fans didn't begin to heavily use Who Dat until 1983.

Yes, except Who Dat" was in use in New Orleans since about the 1800's...

But I already knew the Bengals fans claims and read the articles....just couldn't resist.   Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes, except Who Dat" was in use in New Orleans since about the 1800's...

Who Dat was used all around Louisiana from what I've read. The Saints don't = Louisiana though. The Bengals were the first to use it in the NFL and it's just as likely that it was was derived from a car commercial than any little known (at the time) phrase from Louisiana.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 03:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who Dat was used all around Louisiana from what I've read. The Saints don't = Louisiana though. The Bengals were the first to use it in the NFL and it's just as likely that it was was derived from a car commercial than any little known (at the time) phrase from Louisiana.

This is true.  It is also true that Ohio is very Creole.  That being the case the "Who Dey" chant is very authentic.  Very authentic I tell you!
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @Strictlybiz:

Yes, I walked right into an opportunity to give a Steeler fan a history lesson.

Btw, when you quote someone, you're supposed to put your reply outside of their text box. Otherwise, people can't reply to your post or differentiate between what you're saying and what the previous poster said.  Facepalm

That's what I get for posting from my phone. 

Nice history lesson. Now give me one on your claim that the Steelers stole the Heath cheer from the Ravens Heap cheer. I can find pages of links to the Who Dey vs Who Dat story because, well, there is a legitimate discussion about it. 

Heeeap vs Heeeath on the other hand is something that you made up out of thin air. 

I'll be waiting.....
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes, except Who Dat" was in use in New Orleans since about the 1800's...

But I already knew the Bengals fans claims and read the articles....just couldn't resist.   Rock On

You couldn't resist using a Saints pic, which makes your claim factually incorrect?

Copy that.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 07:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You couldn't resist using a Saints pic, which makes your claim factually incorrect?

Copy that.

I knew Bengals fans would rush to go over again how it is THEIR CHANT!!!1!!!11!!!!

Yes.

Mellow
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 07:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: I knew Bengals fans would rush to go over again how it is THEIR CHANT!!!1!!!11!!!!

Yes.

Mellow

It's really silly how a team prides themselves on something silly....like a chant....or towel....
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 05:53 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Nice history lesson. Now give me one on your claim that the Steelers stole the Heath cheer from the Ravens Heap cheer. I can find pages of links to the Who Dey vs Who Dat story because, well, there is a legitimate discussion about it. 

Heeeap vs Heeeath on the other hand is something that you made up out of thin air. 

I'll be waiting.....

There's naturally going to be more articles about official team chants than ones for players. I've seen many Ravens fans claim the Heath chant was copied from the Heap chant, and it makes sense. Heap was around 4 years before Heath. So it's not hard to figure which one probably came first.

Btw, while looking around, I did find this interesting article from 2004 about Joey Porter and Todd Heap:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2004-12-24/sports/0412240157_1_todd-heap-ravens-steelers

Quote:Of all the players who might have been drawn into the verbal battles between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Ravens over the years, Todd Heap would be near the bottom of the list.

Heap, who in his four seasons as the Ravens' tight end has yet to make a disparaging remark about the Steelers or any other players, kept his streak alive this week, though he has ample reason to speak out.
The last time the teams played, Heap was on the receiving end of what has universally been described as a cheap shot as he lined up for an obvious spike attempt late in the first half.

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter shoved Heap to the ground while Kyle Boller was spiking the ball, an action made worse because Heap had just limped to the line of scrimmage after spraining his ankle.

Porter was booed, Ravens coaches were infuriated and Heap went on to miss the next nine games.

Porter, who wanted to fight Ray Lewis after a game last year near the Ravens' team bus, just seems to have it in for his team's biggest division rival.

Just refreshes my memory on how big of a scum bag Porter was and still is. Makes it even more funny to see you guys crying about Burfict now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 11:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, while looking around, I did find this interesting article from 2004 about Joey Porter and Todd Heap:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2004-12-24/sports/0412240157_1_todd-heap-ravens-steelers

Just refreshes my memory on how big of a scum bag Porter was and still is. Makes it even more funny to see you guys crying about Burfict now.

[Image: 9b7.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 09:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's really silly how a team prides themselves on something silly....like a chant....or towel....

Mellow

http://proshop.bengals.com/Who-Dey-Ralley-Towel-400100951606/

[Image: 022216.jpg]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 12:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

http://proshop.bengals.com/Who-Dey-Ralley-Towel-400100951606/

[Image: 022216.jpg]

Difference is that it's not the symbol of our team or something that we pride ourselves on.  I don't ever recall seeing one fan with one of those at a game, much-less tens of thousands of them like you see with the Terrible Ass Wipes at Steelers home games.

So, in summary............

[Image: Swing-and-a-Miss.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 03:23 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Difference is that it's not the symbol of our team or something that we pride ourselves on.  I don't ever recall seeing one fan with one of those at a game, much-less tens of thousands of them like you see with the Terrible Ass Wipes at Steelers home games.

So, in summary............

[Image: Swing-and-a-Miss.jpg]

Well, this isn't smack talk so I was being lighthearted about it.

But, wouldn't the Bengals fans have to have something to have pride about?

Ninja
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 08:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well, this isn't smack talk so I was being lighthearted about it.
Lighthearted or not, it was a stupid post.

(02-23-2016, 08:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: But, wouldn't the Bengals fans have to have something to have pride about?

Ninja

Maybe they would if the Steelers didn't roll over Palmer's knees, killing our chances in the playoff game and then setting us back AT LEAST one year while Palmer re-gained confidence in his knee, and then also if the Steelers didn't need to send players onto the field illegally to bait Bengals players into penalties to win.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: who-dey.jpg]

Is that a Conehead Goldust cosplay? :O

Also I'm pretty glad Heath retired too, he wasn't like a Gronk or Graham, but he was definitely one of those reliable guys that, when healthy, was always making a big play. And he was pretty consistent over those 11 years. Hope he has a good healthy retirement and I hope he managed his money well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 11:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's naturally going to be more articles about official team chants than ones for players. I've seen many Ravens fans claim the Heath chant was copied from the Heap chant, and it makes sense. Heap was around 4 years before Heath. So it's not hard to figure which one probably came first.

In other words, "I cannot find a single link to support my assertion, so I'm going to rely on one instance back in 2007 where I read on an anonymous message board a Raven fan say that the Steelers stole the Heeeeap cheer and use it for Heeeeeath."

I think that's it's a pretty safe assumption that you're not a lawyer. 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 12:07 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: In other words, "I cannot find a single link to support my assertion, so I'm going to rely on one instance back in 2007 where I read on an anonymous message board a Raven fan say that the Steelers stole the Heeeeap cheer and use it for Heeeeeath."

I think that's it's a pretty safe assumption that you're not a lawyer. 

If you had any common sense at all, you'd realize that it's not likely there's going to be any stories on Heeeap vs Heeeath. It's a fan cheer for a single player. Not a big story. It's established though that the Heeeap chant existed, correct? 

Well Todd Heap was drafted in 2001 and made a pair of Pro Bowls before Heath Miller was even drafted. So what's more likely? That the Steelers stole the chant, or that the Ravens heard Steelers fans doing the Heeeath chant during 2005 (Miller's rookie season) or later, and decided to adopt it for their 5 year veteran TE?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably not a rocket scientist. Just a Steelers homer.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 10:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Maybe they would if the Steelers didn't roll over Palmer's knees, killing our chances in the playoff game and then setting us back AT LEAST one year while Palmer re-gained confidence in his knee, and then also if the Steelers didn't need to send players onto the field illegally to bait Bengals players into penalties to win.

You give the Steelers too much credit in single-handedly stopping the entire bengals organization from winning playoff game. Plenty of other teams beat the bengals in the playoffs as well.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 04:38 PM)6andcounting Wrote: You give the Steelers too much credit in single-handedly stopping the entire bengals organization from winning playoff game. Plenty of other teams beat the bengals in the playoffs as well.

You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 01:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you had any common sense at all, you'd realize that it's not likely there's going to be any stories on Heeeap vs Heeeath. It's a fan cheer for a single player. Not a big story. It's established though that the Heeeap chant existed, correct? 

Well Todd Heap was drafted in 2001 and made a pair of Pro Bowls before Heath Miller was even drafted. So what's more likely? That the Steelers stole the chant, or that the Ravens heard Steelers fans doing the Heeeath chant during 2005 (Miller's rookie season) or later, and decided to adopt it for their 5 year veteran TE?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably not a rocket scientist. Just a Steelers homer.

Weak. 

Yet another attempt to cover the fact that you cannot find anything backup your claim. 

The fact that something similar happened first is not proof. If you want to play that game, then the Ravens stole it from the Cowboys and their Moooooose chant in the 1990s. Also Icky Woods is unoriginal and dumb as he stole the end zone dance from Billy Whiteshoes Johnson.  Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 04:38 PM)6andcounting Wrote: You give the Steelers too much credit in single-handedly stopping the entire bengals organization from winning playoff game. Plenty of other teams beat the bengals in the playoffs as well.

(02-24-2016, 05:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

The Bengals got beat those games.

This year, the refs gave the Steelers the game.

That's the difference: the other teams that beat the Bengals were good.
Reply/Quote