Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaven Over Hospital
Parents let their 5 year old terminally ill child choose Heaven over going to the hospital for more painful tests and procedures. I couldn't imagine the gut wrenching decisions these parents were making.  Having lost a child of my own 12 years ago this August, these types of stories always tugs at the heart strings.   We lost our daughter to a sudden unfortunate accident at home.  These folks knew this day was coming for their daughter, but I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier on them.  That's just not the way the circle of life is supposed to work.  Parents are not supposed to bury their children. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/health/julianna-snow-heaven-over-hospital-death/index.html 

Just wondering what some of your thoughts were on the matter.  Does the child seem a little too young to be making these kinds of decisions?  I don't know?  No parent wants to see their child suffer. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(06-15-2016, 03:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Parents let their 5 year old terminally ill child choose Heaven over going to the hospital for more painful tests and procedures. I couldn't imagine the gut wrenching decisions these parents were making.  Having lost a child of my own 12 years ago this August, these types of stories always tugs at the heart strings.   We lost our daughter to a sudden unfortunate accident at home.  These folks knew this day was coming for their daughter, but I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier on them.  That's just not the way the circle of life is supposed to work.  Parents are not supposed to bury their children. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/health/julianna-snow-heaven-over-hospital-death/index.html 

Just wondering what some of your thoughts were on the matter.  Does the child seem a little too young to be making these kinds of decisions?  I don't know?  No parent wants to see their child suffer. 

First:  Sorry for you loss.  I can not imagine that I hope to never have to.

Second:  I can't imagine making these kinds of decisions, but I can fully understand not wanting to see my child suffer anymore.  Same as with anyone who is suffering no matter their age.

Lastly: And this will sound horrible but I don't know how else to say it...they feel better because she went to heaven.  She felt better because she was told she is going to heaven.  I wonder if they would have wanted more testing or hoped more for a cure if they didn't think there was a "better place" after she died?

Beyond that it is a gut wrenching situation for any parent or anyone tasked with such a decision.  Good vibes sent out to all the ones suffering.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-15-2016, 03:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Parents let their 5 year old terminally ill child choose Heaven over going to the hospital for more painful tests and procedures. I couldn't imagine the gut wrenching decisions these parents were making.  Having lost a child of my own 12 years ago this August, these types of stories always tugs at the heart strings.   We lost our daughter to a sudden unfortunate accident at home.  These folks knew this day was coming for their daughter, but I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier on them.  That's just not the way the circle of life is supposed to work.  Parents are not supposed to bury their children. 

From the article: 
"The doctors explained to Moon, a neurologist, and Snow, an Air Force fighter pilot, that they should consider what they wanted to do the next time an infection made it difficult for their daughter to breathe.
Did they want to bring her back to the hospital? The doctors said there was a reasonable chance Julianna would die there after being subjected to painful procedures. Even if she lived, they said, it would probably be for a short time, and she'd probably be sedated, unable to think and talk. There was no right answer, the doctors told them."

The parents are extremely well educated, and their daughter had a incurable terminal illness. And since there was no chance of her surviving this, the parents did the right thing in letting her decide her final days, even if she was that young. 

If this was a case where there was a chance of beating the disease but instead they were just going to 'put it in God's' hands so to speak without treatment, then that is different imo. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Dear God, I cannot imagine.
My heart aches for you Hawk and the folks in the article.
Ya my heart goes out to the parents here.  But I honestly feel they did the best they thought they could for their daughter.  They put her mentally at peace knowing she is going to Heaven and will see her later when they make it.  That's the whole point right there.   They were able to keep her at ease and let her pass peacefully.  You can't ask for anything better.  I hope they find the peace and strength to get them by in the coming weeks, months and years. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(06-15-2016, 05:38 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ya my heart goes out to the parents here.  But I honestly feel they did the best they thought they could for their daughter.  They put her mentally at peace knowing she is going to Heaven and will see her later when they make it.  That's the whole point right there.   They were able to keep her at ease and let her pass peacefully.  You can't ask for anything better.  I hope they find the peace and strength to get them by in the coming weeks, months and years. 

Yeah, in these types of situations I don't typically believe there's a right or wrong answer, especially if multiple factors (terminal illness, suffering, patient's choice, etc. ) are taken into consideration and deliberated judiciously, you just have to accept the decision and be at peace.

Sorry about your situation, but I'm sure her memory has sustained you in many ways and in some way she is still showing her presence not only in your life, but in the thoughts of the message board posters who just read your thread and have considered the situation.