Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell just froze over.
(02-17-2017, 11:50 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Can't say I disagree with anything posted, other than my surprise on whom is proposing this.

This is the first time I've ever "heard" her say anything sensible.

Well, maybe you are growing up. Remember, James Carville started out as a conservative too! I'm going to warn you though, facts have a well known liberal bias. If you keep listening to them no telling what will happen to you.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(02-16-2017, 09:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sounds like the kind of logical and sensible productive ideas that I like to see the government working on.

"Republicans like to say government can't do anything right. Then they get elected and proceed to prove it!" - Al Franken

"Democrats like to say government can solve real problems for real people. Elect a majority of them, and they will!" -xxlt
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(02-17-2017, 08:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I almost held out on posting this thread, as most of my views don't align with the Senator that I'm giving credit to.  However, despite anyone's differences in politics, beliefs or philosophies, I do think it important to at least try to find ideas that we can all agree on.  Senator Warren's position on helping Veterans attain civilian certification/licensing to perform jobs that they have already been doing is one of those ideas that I can get on board with.

Again, kudos. If enough citizens remember we are more "purple" than "red" or "blue" as a nation and demand our elected officials acknowledge this then maybe we can once again have a functioning government and an economy that works for everyone, not just the super rich. Hey, a girl can dream...
(02-17-2017, 09:22 PM)xxlt Wrote: Well, maybe you are growing up. Remember, James Carville started out as a conservative too! I'm going to warn you though, facts have a well known liberal bias. If you keep listening to them no telling what will happen to you.

His winky might even shrivel up.
Ninja
(02-17-2017, 10:36 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: His winky might even shrivel up.
Ninja

You are only fully libtarded if it turns inside out and you question your gender. Wink
(02-18-2017, 08:51 PM)xxlt Wrote: You are only fully libtarded if it turns inside out and you question your gender. Wink

Sonofa.....
You have bested me in observation, once again.

That must end up being pretty difficult to wash in the sink.
Do they make an adapter or, something ?

Side note: Rednecks call me a Libtard for being a Libertarian and I'm like.......... "nevermind".
Rolleyes
(02-16-2017, 08:40 PM)xxlt Wrote: She makes sense about a lot more than that. Give her a chance. You might be surprised. You might end up liking her as much as I always liked Chuck Hagel. Kudos to you for agreeing with her on this issue and sharing it.

No she doesn't.   Mellow

But I'll agree with her on this issue. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(02-17-2017, 09:22 PM)xxlt Wrote: Well, maybe you are growing up. Remember, James Carville started out as a conservative too! I'm going to warn you though, facts have a well known liberal bias. If you keep listening to them no telling what will happen to you.

Oh dear god  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious 

They don't. That's the great thing about facts. There is no "bias". 
(02-18-2017, 11:09 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Oh dear god  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious 

That's a Colbert line

[Image: Ea965.jpg]

Bush looks thrilled.   Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-18-2017, 11:05 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Sonofa.....
You have bested me in observation, once again.

That must end up being pretty difficult to wash in the sink.
Do they make an adapter or, something ?

Side note: Rednecks call me a Libtard for being a Libertarian and I'm like.......... "nevermind".
Rolleyes

Yeah. When you get initiated you get a secret decoder ring, a conscience (many people call him Jiminy, but feel free to be more creative when naming), and an adapter.

Oh, and I almost forgot, at least one of them doubles as a vibrator. Wink
(02-18-2017, 11:09 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Oh dear god  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious 

Look at a time line of history. Put your finger down anywhere. Defeat of fascism in WWII. Women getting the vote. Abolition of slavery. American Revolution. Jesus. Aristotle... Yeah, facts have a well known liberal bias that history keeps slowly bearing out. I am not surprised many don't see it. Some people still see and know how the sun moves around the earth. All good.
(02-18-2017, 11:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's a Colbert line

[Image: Ea965.jpg]

Bush looks thrilled.   Cool

I believe her purloined it from Senator Franken. Typical. Can't trust a liberal.
The big problem I see is that a lot of military people are just trained to fight. I know the military requires all types of skills to run all of their operations, but there are still a large portion who are trained to mainly for combat.

So to help these veterans out we could form a large federal "police force". It would be quasi-military with all the high tech combat gadgets, but it would be 100% under the direct control of the POTUS. He could send it all aver the country at his discretion to clean up certain "problems".
(02-19-2017, 10:50 AM)xxlt Wrote: Yeah. When you get initiated you get a secret decoder ring, a conscience (many people call him Jiminy, but feel free to be more creative when naming), and an adapter.

Oh, and I almost forgot, at least one of them doubles as a vibrator. Wink
Is it the conscience that vibrates ?
Being a former Republican, I've never owned one, and always wondered how they worked.
It's like Spidey-senses, right ?
(02-19-2017, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The big problem I see is that a lot of military people are just trained to fight.  I know the military requires all types of skills to run all of their operations, but there are still a large portion who are trained to mainly for combat.

So to help these veterans out we could form a large federal "police force".  It would be quasi-military with all the high tech combat gadgets, but it would be 100% under the direct control of the POTUS. He could send it all aver the country at his discretion to clean up certain "problems".

Have you happened to read any of oncemoretothejimbreech's posts in this thread?  He addressed the combat trained veteran returning to civilian life.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-19-2017, 10:53 AM)xxlt Wrote: Look at a time line of history. Put your finger down anywhere. Defeat of fascism in WWII. Women getting the vote. Abolition of slavery. American Revolution. Jesus. Aristotle... Yeah, facts have a well known liberal bias that history keeps slowly bearing out. I am not surprised many don't see it. Some people still see and know how the sun moves around the earth. All good.

Are we talking classically liberal? Because if so you may have an argument. Progressives on the other hand, are about as far away from classically liberal as you can get without throwing people into gulag camps.  Mellow

But for SnG's I'll go through your list:

1. Defeat of fascism in WWII

Congrats. The Soviet Union was the biggest reason for the fall of Hitler. It's not like Stalin and his far left ideology went on to kill 20 million people (mostly his own citizens) but it's all good cuz he wasn't racist. People always seem to forget the important lesson here. Authoritarianism is bad m'kay.

2. Women's suffrage

"U.S. Representative James R. Mann (1856-1922), a Republican from Illinois and chairman of the Suffrage Committee, proposed the House resolution to approve the Susan Anthony Amendment granting women the right to vote."
http://www.history.com/topics/womens-history/19th-amendment

3. Abolition of Slavery

Again. Repubs.

4. American Revolution

That's about as classically liberal as you can get. I'll give you that one if you're talking about being classic liberalism, but we both know you're not.

5. Jesus

I didn't know you considered Jesus Christ to be a "fact", but good to know. Jesus loves you xxlt.

6. Aristotle

Feel free to read through this if you'd like, but I'd like to point out the title says "Aristotle's Political Theory" not "Aristotle's Political Fact"
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-politics/

Now I know this is coming, "but the parties switched!!!!" so here is my last thought. The parties didn't really switch as many like to claim. They evolved with time. Unfortunately both sides of the isle are rapidly evolving towards their own brand of authoritarianism. I hope for a day when we can go back to being classically liberal. Don't see it happening anytime soon though.
(02-19-2017, 09:08 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Are we talking classically liberal? Because if so you may have an argument. Progressives on the other hand, are about as far away from classically liberal as you can get without throwing people into gulag camps.  Mellow

But for SnG's I'll go through your list:

1. Defeat of fascism in WWII

Congrats. The Soviet Union was the biggest reason for the fall of Hitler. It's not like Stalin and his far left ideology went on to kill 20 million people (mostly his own citizens) but it's all good cuz he wasn't racist. People always seem to forget the important lesson here. Authoritarianism is bad m'kay.

2. Women's suffrage

"U.S. Representative James R. Mann (1856-1922), a Republican from Illinois and chairman of the Suffrage Committee, proposed the House resolution to approve the Susan Anthony Amendment granting women the right to vote."
http://www.history.com/topics/womens-history/19th-amendment

3. Abolition of Slavery

Again. Repubs.

4. American Revolution

That's about as classically liberal as you can get. I'll give you that one if you're talking about being classic liberalism, but we both know you're not.

5. Jesus

I didn't know you considered Jesus Christ to be a "fact", but good to know. Jesus loves you xxlt.

6. Aristotle

Feel free to read through this if you'd like, but I'd like to point out the title says "Aristotle's Political Theory" not "Aristotle's Political Fact"
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-politics/

Now I know this is coming, "but the parties switched!!!!" so here is my last thought. The parties didn't really switch as many like to claim. They evolved with time. Unfortunately both sides of the isle are rapidly evolving towards their own brand of authoritarianism. I hope for a day when we can go back to being classically liberal. Don't see it happening anytime soon though.

1. If you say so. And what happened to the Soviet Union?

2. OK. Thanks for the women's history moment.

3. Yep, good old conservative Repubs!

4. You know what you know. You know what I know. Do you know what you don't know? OK, I feel like I am channeling Don Rumsfeld, a man for whom I once had some respect, and it really creeps me out, so I am just going to stop. But, hey, "thanks for the gift." And be open to the possibility that you don't know what I am talking about, because, for the record, you don't.

5. I believe in the historical existence of the person referred to Jesus (son of Mary and Joseph - the guy in the Bible - that Jesus, not Quintana as much as I love that character). I did not know you did not believe in the historical existence of Jesus. Many historians seem to believe there was this historical Jesus person. So, they would consider his existence (though not his divinity) as much "fact" as the existence of Julius Caesar or Cleopatra. But since you seem uncomfortable with Jesus, you can chuck him off the board. He may or may not love me for giving that permission. The matter is of no great concern to me. Many figures about whom much has been written may also not be "fact." After all, we weren't there, so how do we know? As I often say, Jesus is just all right with me. But, in this case, we will let him go.

6. Oh come on, don't make me read it assuming "we both know" what you are thinking. I am sure I don't know what you think when you read that. What was your point? If you want to lump Aristotle with Jesus and Zeus, just cut to the chase and tell me. Or tell me your point if that was not it?

PS, you didn't know what was coming. I was not going to talk about party switching, or light switching, or House Party or House Party II. I also was not going to talk about the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, although I do think it was a good movie. But, thanks for practicing your telepathic powers on me and better luck next time on knowing what is coming.
(02-19-2017, 02:16 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Is it the conscience that vibrates ?
Being a former Republican, I've never owned one, and always wondered how they worked.
It's like Spidey-senses, right ?

Sigh.

They grow up so fast...