Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hell of a game today!
The future of this team is so bright! Boyd, Burrow, Higgins and Mixon (although he didn't do much today behind this horrid offensive line) is an offensive core that play callers dream about having.

Green doesn't look like a pro bowler anymore though. At this point, I don't believe Ross or Green will be Bengals in 2021. But with Higgins showing a ton of talent today and even Tate getting some solid plays in, I don't think we really need Green anymore. At least not at the current talent level he is.

And Ross' career is probably over. At least barring injury or a resurrection with another team. Being a healthy scratch is just...oof. That's not what you want in a top 10 pick haha.

We have a hole the size of the grand canyon at RG and RT, but nothing that a draft or two and a free agency period where we have 18 million free (because of no more Green) can't fix.

The defense, despite having issues in the final 25 seconds of both halves, was stout as hell today, especially in pass defense. If they can get a hold of the run game, we could have something special going.

I don't think we're playoff caliber right now (obviously) but I think the pieces are all there. This team is a ton of fun to watch in the worst case.

I'm looking forward to football Sunday again and, honestly, that's all I really expected out of this season. It's still early, but I honestly think Joe Burrow already had OROY locked in. He's just that good. Damn it feels good to have a legitimate QB again!
Reply/Quote
so happy for watching worst team in NFL year in and year out. I wish I had this positive attitude.

I'm waiting fo ra win just to watch berman's highlights. I haven't watched ESPN's highlights since Berman came back years ago.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is taking too many hits. I know the Bengals have better chance of scoring when Burrow wings it but they should just run the ball, run, run, run...establish some semblance of a running game. Letting the rookie take 8 sacks is embarrassing.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 06:34 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: so happy for watching worst team in NFL year in and year out. I wish I had this positive attitude.

I'm waiting fo ra win just to watch berman's highlights. I haven't watched ESPN's highlights since Berman came back years ago.

Yeah, that was a hoot to watch every Sunday night with Berman ragging on the 90's Bengals.  It beat the shit out of having to listen to that idiot Rodney Harrison nowadays.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Ties are the absolute worst.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 06:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The future of this team is so bright! Boyd, Burrow, Higgins and Mixon (although he didn't do much today behind this horrid offensive line) is an offensive core that play callers dream about having.

Green doesn't look like a pro bowler anymore though. At this point, I don't believe Ross or Green will be Bengals in 2021. But with Higgins showing a ton of talent today and even Tate getting some solid plays in, I don't think we really need Green anymore. At least not at the current talent level he is.

And Ross' career is probably over. At least barring injury or a resurrection with another team. Being a healthy scratch is just...oof. That's not what you want in a top 10 pick haha.

We have a hole the size of the grand canyon at RG and RT, but nothing that a draft or two and a free agency period where we have 18 million free (because of no more Green) can't fix.

The defense, despite having issues in the final 25 seconds of both halves, was stout as hell today, especially in pass defense. If they can get a hold of the run game, we could have something special going.

I don't think we're playoff caliber right now (obviously) but I think the pieces are all there. This team is a ton of fun to watch in the worst case.

I'm looking forward to football Sunday again and, honestly, that's all I really expected out of this season. It's still early, but I honestly think Joe Burrow already had OROY locked in. He's just that good. Damn it feels good to have a legitimate QB again!

Joe Burrow won’t win OROY not because of his numbers, but because he will be on a team with maybe 2 wins. Burrow is nothing short of phenomenal so far. 0 picks with 300 yards and 2TD in a game the oline gives up 8 sacks... wow.

Thats our problem though,
We don’t have all the pieces we need. The D has shown at times they can be OK but the right side of the line fails time after time. I would argue Billy Price singlehandedly cost us a win in OT. I wonder if Zac will still echo the oline issues are overblown. If he does then I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO faith in him as a coach.
Reply/Quote
It’s frustrating to watch this team struggle with the offensive line being what it is. They left like 8 points on the field today, and they need to make a pass rush still, but I feel like there’s a core on both sides to build with.

Gaither made some good plays today.
Reply/Quote
I was more optimistic on this team coming in with FA signings.. Burrow as the savior but we are too weak in areas and Burrow is not the savior just yet..... we can only hope our draft picks from 2019-2022 will add up to a winning team come 2022. Burrow and the draft picks this year are off to a good start, lets hope that continues.. Williams is doing ok as a rookie with a weak line around him. Pratt has shown signs of improvement. Jordan and Sample will have to improve.

Burrow has weapons around him for sure.. we will have to continue to rebuild the line through the draft.. FA pickups are not a good investment in the short period of time.. maybe pick up 1 FA next year.. but really this is a 3 year rebuild to 2022/23 timeline
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 06:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This team is a ton of fun to watch in the worst case.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 06:47 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Joe Burrow won’t win OROY not because of his numbers, but because he will be on a team with maybe 2 wins. Burrow is nothing short of phenomenal so far. 0 picks with 300 yards and 2TD in a game the oline gives up 8 sacks... wow.

We don’t have all the pieces we need. The D has shown at times they can be OK but the right side of the line fails time after time. I would argue Billy Price singlehandedly cost us a win in OT. I wonder if Zac will still echo the oline issues are overblown. If he does then I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO faith in him as a coach.

I was listening to an interview on the drive home and the guy asked him "You had Fred in in the first half, you took him out for Billy in the 2nd half. Was that because of injury or due to performance and where do you stand on that now" and his answer was something along the lines of "we're trying to get things to work and we're going to keep trying until it works." So I think he knows the Oline is a mess. I just don't know if it can be fixed this year. Unless Adeniji gets to play and is just inexplicably great :)

As for Burrow and OROY, I'm not convinced this team is 2-14 bad. I bet they can squeeze 4 or 5 wins out of this season at a minimum. We've been within 1 score in all three games, with 2 of the games basically lost because of silly nonsense (Chargers game we have a ticky tacky OPI call followed by a missed chip shot and against Philly, we allow two improbable TDs in the final seconds of both halves and screw up overtime on a ticky tacky holding call, not to mention the easy TD bouncing off Boyd's fingers against Cleveland).

This is nowhere near last year, where we were losing games by 20 points twice in the first four weeks. Our offense failed to crack 21 points in 12 of our 16 games, including 10 in our first 11 haha. We've surpassed it twice in three games already. We'll secure some wins soon :)
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 07:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was listening to an interview on the drive home and the guy asked him "You had Fred in in the first half, you took him out for Billy in the 2nd half. Was that because of injury or due to performance and where do you stand on that now" and his answer was something along the lines of "we're trying to get things to work and we're going to keep trying until it works." So I think he knows the Oline is a mess. I just don't know if it can be fixed this year. Unless Adeniji gets to play and is just inexplicably great :)

As for Burrow and OROY, I'm not convinced this team is 2-14 bad. I bet they can squeeze 4 or 5 wins out of this season at a minimum. We've been within 1 score in all three games, with 2 of the games basically lost because of silly nonsense (Chargers game we have a ticky tacky OPI call followed by a missed chip shot and against Philly, we allow two improbable TDs in the final seconds of both halves and screw up overtime on a ticky tacky holding call, not to mention the easy TD bouncing off Boyd's fingers against Cleveland).

This is nowhere near last year, where we were losing games by 20 points twice in the first four weeks. Our offense failed to crack 21 points in 12 of our 16 games, including 10 in our first 11 haha. We've surpassed it twice in three games already. We'll secure some wins soon :)

Bengals had a chance to close the game and couldn’t, because of the o-line. Aside from the meaningless Mixon run, the last two drives in OT netted -24 yards or so, because of the offensive line. I don’t see why they don’t plug Adeniji, he literally could not be worse than Johnson or Price. If anything he plays at their same level but gets experience in his 1st year.

Also I thought it was a Marvin Lewis issue giving up points before half, but apparently it is also a Zac Taylor issue.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 07:16 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Bengals had a chance to close the game and couldn’t, because of the o-line. Aside from the meaningless Mixon run, the last two drives in OT netted -24 yards or so, because of the offensive line. I don’t see why they don’t plug Adeniji, he literally could not be worse than Johnson or Price. If anything he plays at their same level but gets experience in his 1st year.

Also I thought it was a Marvin Lewis issue giving up points before half, but apparently it is also a Zac Taylor issue.

Yea, the two touchdowns at the end of each half were frustrating, for sure. I hope we play man coverage for the rest of the season. It seems to fit our personnel infinitely better.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 06:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The future of this team is so bright! Boyd, Burrow, Higgins and Mixon (although he didn't do much today behind this horrid offensive line) is an offensive core that play callers dream about having.

Good post. Pretty much my feelings too. Maybe keep Green at a reduced price. Ross looks to be about done especially after Tate coming in & playing well.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 06:47 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Joe Burrow won’t win OROY not because of his numbers, but because he will be on a team with maybe 2 wins. Burrow is nothing short of phenomenal so far. 0 picks with 300 yards and 2TD in a game the oline gives up 8 sacks... wow.

Wins aren’t a major player in OROY. It definitely helps your case if you have them, but Kyler Murray won it with five victories last year. Giants were 5-11 when Saquon won it (who beat out Baker Mayfield, where the Browns were 7-8-1).

Joe is going to win it at this rate. He is on pace for 4378 yards and 26-27 TDs.
Reply/Quote
So I missed the game because I had to work tonight which is not normal for my schedule, I figured we had lost reading some of the thread titles but was slightly confused because of other ones like this so it makes sense we tied I guess.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 07:39 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: So I missed the game because I had to work tonight which is not normal for my schedule, I figured we had lost reading some of the thread titles but was slightly confused because of other ones like this so it makes sense we tied I guess.

Yea, I mean don't get me wrong, I would have preferred to win. But in a rebuilding year, I'll take competitive football where we are in the game for the entirety of it each week. We'll work on winning next season Tongue
Reply/Quote

I'm going to stick with my offseason OROY pick. Burrow's played quite well today, but I still think Clyde Edwards-Helaire will run away (terrible pun 100% intended) with the award.

He's on pace (yes, I know pace is a little wonky in the first couple weeks until there's a large enough sample size) for 1,400 rushing yards at 5.0 YPC... that's going to win OROY 100% of the time. Bonus points since he'll be doing it on a winning/playoff team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
IM NOT GIVING THIS TEAM ANY FN CREDIT UNTIL THEY CAN PROVE TO BE CONSISTENT. ESPECIALLY THE DEFENSE. OUR OFFENSIVE LINE IS SO BAD ITS INSANE.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 07:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm going to stick with my offseason OROY pick. Burrow's played quite well today, but I still think Clyde Edwards-Helaire will run away (terrible pun 100% intended) with the award.

He's on pace (yes, I know pace is a little wonky in the first couple weeks until there's a large enough sample size) for 1,400 rushing yards at 5.0 YPC... that's going to win OROY 100% of the time. Bonus points since he'll be doing it on a winning/playoff team.

That's fair. If anyone is going to beat Joe, it's CEH. We'll see how he does tomorrow against the Ravens. I don't have the history on the rookie of the year award to know if team success helps or hurts (like, for example, does a QB playing at an elite level despite having a bad Oline help his case, since he is overcoming his team's weaknesses? Or do they mostly look at stats? Likewise, does being on a super bowl contending team help a running back or hurt them, because they are just one of many weapons?) but I am hoping Joe gets it. He definitely deserves it through 3 weeks.

5 TDs and only 1 INT with 2 300 yard games in 3 weeks is just high quality production. Especially since that interception wasn't an actual pass, it was just a dumb little college play.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 08:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's fair. If anyone is going to beat Joe, it's CEH. We'll see how he does tomorrow against the Ravens. I don't have the history on the rookie of the year award to know if team success helps or hurts (like, for example, does a QB playing at an elite level despite having a bad Oline help his case, since he is overcoming his team's weaknesses? Or do they mostly look at stats? Likewise, does being on a super bowl contending team help a running back or hurt them, because they are just one of many weapons?) but I am hoping Joe gets it. He definitely deserves it through 3 weeks.

5 TDs and only 1 INT with 2 300 yard games in 3 weeks is just high quality production. Especially since that interception wasn't an actual pass, it was just a dumb little college play.

Always assume winning helps win awards. Nobody penalizes someone for winning.

Did a quick look back and the awards definitely tend to be winners. Less likely to be a winner for DPOY, but still majority winners.

LAST 25 YEARS
DPOY: only 11/25 had losing records
OPOY: only 8/25 had losing records

Probably because a single LB can't propel a team to victory, but it's often seen that a QB should (hence why they get W-L added to their stats).

Interesting thing to point out. Of the 53 people to win OROY, 35 were RBs though QBs have been more represented lately (8 of the last 25, with 13 RBs in that time).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote